Tutorial: Extracting, Modifying and Importing MK9 Textures

modder101
Mortal

Re: Tutorial: Extracting, Modifying and Importing MK9 Textur

Post by modder101 »

Do you have to use adobe for this to work?

MaxGambito
Mortal

Post by MaxGambito »

Why does the skin look dark? when the camera is close, it looks good, but at normal distance it already looks dark.
K0BR4
Apprentice

Post by K0BR4 »

MaxGambito wrote:Why does the skin look dark? when the camera is close, it looks good, but at normal distance it already looks dark.
This happens when you dont use the right configuration to save the .dds files

Try to save and reimport your .dds textures again

This is the configuration that I use:
Warrior
Side: Darkness

Re: Tutorial: Extracting, Modifying and Importing MK9 Textures

Post by nightWolf321 »

I have a problem i use mksm smoke in Dds Injector and not work Writing File not found,how can i solve the problem?
With dlc character?
Noobsaibot2003
Immortal

Post by Noobsaibot2003 »

Work well for me thanks
tetsuro1
Mortal

Post by tetsuro1 »

I have a problem with getting my mod to work.

Basically, when I inject the DDS files into the XXX file, the XXX file becomes "bloated" (its size is increased by A LOT), and when I replace the original XXX file, the mod simply doesn't work.

I figured it could be the DDS injector that's causing the problem, so can anyone tell me how to convert the DDS files back to their Texture2D file format, and how to convert those Texture2D files back into their XXX file format?

I posted more about this, but it's kind of a long message, so read it if you can spare a few minutes of your time:
viewtopic.php?p=148867#p148867
zepterrian
Grand Master
Side: Light

Post by zepterrian »

tetsuro1 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:33 pm I have a problem with getting my mod to work.

Basically, when I inject the DDS files into the XXX file, the XXX file becomes "bloated" (its size is increased by A LOT), and when I replace the original XXX file, the mod simply doesn't work.

I figured it could be the DDS injector that's causing the problem, so can anyone tell me how to convert the DDS files back to their Texture2D file format, and how to convert those Texture2D files back into their XXX file format?

I posted more about this, but it's kind of a long message, so read it if you can spare a few minutes of your time:
viewtopic.php?p=148867#p148867
an alternative is to use this viewtopic.php?t=47872

take your texture2d file and drag it over texture2d2dds.exe (or something like that), edit the produced dds texture (or just replace it by your modded one) and then to pack it back I think you should drag&drop the dds texture over the other .exe file.
That will produce a new texture2d file with "_new" as part of its name.

To inject the modded file use the generic injector multi found in the tools sections. Put them in their respective folders and run the program.
Do not forget that the the ui file needs to be in the same place as the injector's executable so the program can see it.

PS: I know you were modding the file named buttonlib_n.
Well I have recently been told that _n files are for another type of screen usage (like older TVs). I didn't even know that. Idk if the game still uses this particular one and if it is the cause for xbox buttons to keep appearing.
For the raptor race...
tetsuro1
Mortal

Post by tetsuro1 »

Hi, Zepp!

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately, it still doesn't work. Here are all the methods I've tried so far:
  • Your tools + MK9Injector v1.2 (from this thread) (MK9Injector increases file so to 4,900 KB)
  • Your tools + MK9Injector v1.4 (file size remains the same after injecting)
  • Your tools + MK9Injector v1.5 (increased file size from injector to 50,561 KB (!))
  • Texture Tools' "extract.exe" (for the Texture2D files) + MK9Injector v1.2 (same results as before)
  • Texture Tools' "extract.exe" + MK9Injector v1.4 (same results as before)
  • Texture Tools' "extract.exe" + MK9Injector v1.5 (same results as before)
All of the methods that I tried above do not work :(

Also, out of all the MK9Injectors, the v1.4 is the only one that works quickly, and doesn't change the file size.

The only thing left is to use the MKKEGenericInjectorMulti which you've uploaded here but I don't know how exactly I should use that file.

Like, what exactly should I put in the "new", and "old" folders?

Where should I put my (decompressed) XXX file, my (unaltered, original) XXX file, my (vanilla/original) Texture2D files, my (new) Texture2D files, my (vanilla) DDS files, and my (edited) DDS files? And how should I proceed with injecting?

Additionally, here are all the things that I've noticed about my edited DDS files:
  • I got the texture (DDS) files via the "extract_tools.rar" tool you've uploaded here, or from this tool you've mentioned previously.
  • I edited the PS icons over the XBOX buttons with GIMP (don't own Photoshop :() in those DDS files, and exported them as a DDS file with the same compression method (BC3/DXT5) as the vanilla files
  • After all of that was done I did any of the injection methods above, and still got the same results: this, and this
Even after all those things are done, and even after exporting via different compression methods (BC1, BC2, etc.), and with or without generating mipmaps, the mod still doesn't work, no matter which of the options (mentioned above) I use to inject those texture files, it's still the same result.

Vanilla XBOX icons still appear instead of my PS ones.

I have no idea what causes this problem. Surely it can't be just because I exported from GIMP instead of Photoshop?

Also, one thing that I noticed after exporting my DDS files is that they're exported like this, which I never noticed before since in IrfanView it always looked like this.

After noticing that, I wonder why exactly do the XBOX and my PS icons "mash" together like that? Even after injecting the DDS files, I still only get the XBOX icons, not the PS icons, or the "mashed" XBOX/PS icons.

It's like they're on another layer or something, which by the way, I checked and found nothing.

By the way, here is what my workstation in GIMP looks like when I open the:
As you can see, somehow the mashing only happens in the RGB channels, but not in the Alpha channel, or when all the channels are shown, so what exactly causes this to happen, and how can I fix it?
zepterrian wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:29 pm PS: I know you were modding the file named buttonlib_n.
Well I have recently been told that _n files are for another type of screen usage (like older TVs). I didn't even know that. Idk if the game still uses this particular one and if it is the cause for xbox buttons to keep appearing.
If that's true, then there's no point in editing these files I guess :(

Also, not doubting what you said, but where did you hear that about "*_n" files?

Nonetheless, I'd like to give it a shot a couple of more times, as I feel like I'm really close to solving this!

Do you have any recommendations on what I should do to solve this?

If you don't know what to do, do you happen to know somebody who's active in texture modding (regardless if it's for MK9 or other games) who I can contact for help on this?

Apologies for the long post, just wanted to be as informative as I can.
zepterrian
Grand Master

Post by zepterrian »

tetsuro1 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:33 am Also, not doubting what you said, but where did you hear that about "*_n" files?

Nonetheless, I'd like to give it a shot a couple of more times, as I feel like I'm really close to solving this!

Do you have any recommendations on what I should do to solve this?

If you don't know what to do, do you happen to know somebody who's active in texture modding (regardless if it's for MK9 or other games) who I can contact for help on this?
Maybe you can ask MFS for additional information. He told me that about _n files.

If you never modded before (I think that's what you said) my suggestion would be to try and mod the normal ui_buttonlib file, not the _n one. And see if it works.
If it works it means you are doing things right, and the _n file is useless.
You would have to look for the buttons in another file.

Also I dont remember that files can increase their size after injecting the textures. That might be a problem with the dds injector (It happened to me in the past). So use the alternative tools I linked you to. Imo they are better than the ddsinjector.

And the injector multi has instructions inside. But basically take your original unmodded texture2d file and place it in the "old" folder. The modded texture2d in the "new" folder. And the decompressed file along with the application. Run the tool, write the name of the decompressed file and inject.
For the raptor race...
tetsuro1
Mortal

Post by tetsuro1 »

zepterrian wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:57 pm If you never modded before (I think that's what you said) my suggestion would be to try and mod the normal ui_buttonlib file, not the _n one. And see if it works.
If it works it means you are doing things right, and the _n file is useless.
You would have to look for the buttons in another file.

Also I dont remember that files can increase their size after injecting the textures. That might be a problem with the dds injector (It happened to me in the past). So use the alternative tools I linked you to. Imo they are better than the ddsinjector.

And the injector multi has instructions inside. But basically take your original unmodded texture2d file and place it in the "old" folder. The modded texture2d in the "new" folder. And the decompressed file along with the application. Run the tool, write the name of the decompressed file and inject.
Well sh!t. I just edited the (already edited) "ui_c_buttonLib.xxx" file, by brushing over some of the button icons with a black color, and look how it turned out:
https://i.imgur.com/Z4NIUxC.png

I did the same repacking process as I have done with the "_n" file, and didn't do anything different, and look at that :\

So, I guess the "_n" files are really useless then.
Maybe you can ask MFS for additional information. He told me that about _n files.
Just curious, but who is MFS? I'm not too familiar with the users on this forum, so I hope they can provide some insight into why the edited "_n" files are not being recognized by the game.
zepterrian
Grand Master

Post by zepterrian »

I just pointed him out just as example (although I dont like throwin names in public:) ).
There are other users too that might help you as well.

Perhaps if you join the mksecrets discord you can find answers quicker.
For the raptor race...
tetsuro1
Mortal

Post by tetsuro1 »

zepterrian wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:26 am I just pointed him out just as example (although I dont like throwin names in public:) ).

Ok, after extracting tons of other XXX files, I managed to find the one which contains the XBOX icons I want to replace (damn you NRS for wasting my time with that _n file), however, I have a problem when trying to decompress or extract the file.

When I drag the file over "decompress.exe", or "extract.exe" (from Texture Tools in this thread), I get the following error in "notify.log" file:

Code: Select all

******** C:\Downloads\Mk9TextureTool_V3\Startup.xxx ********

ERROR: zlib uncompress() returned -3
appDecompress:CompSize=38978 UncompSize=131072 Flags=0x1 <- DecompressBlock:block=D00+9842 <- FUE3ArchiveReader::PrepareBuffer <- FUE3ArchiveReader::Serialize <- FArchive::ByteOrderSerialize <- FPackageFileSummary<<:Ver=0/0 <- UnPackage::UnPackage:C:\Downloads\Mk9TextureTool_V3\Startup.xxx, ver=99999/0, game=0 <- Main
What does this error mean?

I can still (somehow) extract the texture files (DDS) with this tool you gave me Zepp, but now the problem is that I don't know how to convert the DDS file to Texture2D, or inject them directly into the XXX file (if possible), because that tool gives me only DDS files, not Texture2D files.

Would you or anyone else know what that error means, and how can I extract that file? Either that or how can I convert those DDS files to Texture2D or inject them directly into the XXX file?

EDIT: BTW, this tool cannot convert the DDS files extracted from this tool you gave me, because the former requires the ".DDS" and an additional ".InfoFile" (which I can't get with the latter).

EDIT 2: Ok, I managed to fix the decompression/extraction problem by downloading the latest version of decompressor and extractor from Gildor's tools here, but now I get another error :\

Now, when I replace Startup.xxx, my game crashes on the splash/loading screen and I get this error:
https://i.imgur.com/whaXkLH.png

And, before you ask, no, there aren't any memory problems, as I play on a GTX 980 Ti (6 GB VRAM), with 16 GB RAM.

My only guess would be that the game does not like the decompressed Startup.xxx file, but now the problem is, how do I avoid this?

I only injected one DDS file (and a tiny 64 KB one at that), so what gives?

Would anyone know what is causing this? If it really is the decompressed Startup.xxx, how would I go around this problem? Is there another way to inject DDS directly into the XXX without decompressing it?

This will literally be the last step of this journey to have this bloody mod work, so if anyone knows how to solve this problem, I'd really appreciate it.
tetsuro1
Mortal

Post by tetsuro1 »

zepterrian wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:26 am I just pointed him out just as example (although I dont like throwin names in public:) ).

I even tried to use your File Re-indexer program (here: viewtopic.php?t=48641), but no luck :(

When I try to Re-index the file I'm looking to replace (called "Texture2D_3.Texture2D"), I get this error:
https://i.imgur.com/Ivcjpvn.png

If I press "Continue", and try to use that Startup.xxx nothing happens, that is, there's no change applied even tho I selected the correct file, correct ExportList, and the correct index/column the program's looking for.

By the way, here's a full error message if you can help decipher what's going on with the program:
https://pastebin.com/8hUa15Lx

Also, the error happens if I try to Re-index that file (Texture2D_3.Texture2D) in the normal/unmodified version of Startup.xxx. If I do the same thing to the compressed version of the file I get this message:
https://i.imgur.com/B7rYry3.png

But of course, when I replace the original Startup.xxx with that new one, I get the same game crash with this error:

Any suggestions? I just need to find a way to either:

a) Inject the DDS/Texture files into the xxx file without decompressing it
b) Get the game to work with the decompressed XXX file somehow
zepterrian
Grand Master

Post by zepterrian »

tetsuro1 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:42 pm

I even tried to use your File Re-indexer program (here: viewtopic.php?t=48641), but no luck :(

When I try to Re-index the file I'm looking to replace (called "Texture2D_3.Texture2D"), I get this error:
https://i.imgur.com/Ivcjpvn.png

If I press "Continue", and try to use that Startup.xxx nothing happens, that is, there's no change applied even tho I selected the correct file, correct ExportList, and the correct index/column the program's looking for.

By the way, here's a full error message if you can help decipher what's going on with the program:
https://pastebin.com/8hUa15Lx

Also, the error happens if I try to Re-index that file (Texture2D_3.Texture2D) in the normal/unmodified version of Startup.xxx. If I do the same thing to the compressed version of the file I get this message:
https://i.imgur.com/B7rYry3.png

But of course, when I replace the original Startup.xxx with that new one, I get the same game crash with this error:

Any suggestions? I just need to find a way to either:

a) Inject the DDS/Texture files into the xxx file without decompressing it
b) Get the game to work with the decompressed XXX file somehow
To be honest I dont know about the StartUp file.
and you cannot modify files without decompressing them first.
For the raptor race...
tetsuro1
Mortal

Post by tetsuro1 »

zepterrian wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:26 pm To be honest I dont know about the StartUp file.
and you cannot modify files without decompressing them first.
Ah, that's a shame. Is there by any chance some other decompressor than the one posted in this thread that could work with MK9's XXX files?

Or some other way of replacing Texture2D files within the XXX file?

Return to “Mortal Kombat 9 PC Modding Tutorials and Discussions”