How Can You Play MK3 Today?

StJet
Mortal
XBox Live: jet360101

How Can You Play MK3 Today?

Post by StJet »

Is there a modern way to play MK3? I want to get my own background footage of the game but I can't find it on steam or GOG. Is there any legal way to buy the game and play it on modern platforms, or are you stuck with downloading roms online?

God Bless,
Jet
Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Re: How Can You Play MK3 Today?

Post by Gambid »

The last Mortal Kombat 3 PC release was the emulated Arcade version as part of Midway Arcade Treasures Deluxe Edition. This was in 2006. I did buy it back than digitally, but there are still some copies of it flying around websites such as ebay. Don't know whether it runs on modern Windows systems as I haven't really tested it.

If you want the true PC version, then you need the big box one, can also be found online. Have it as well, but don't remember if I have tested it on modern systems, it might require a DOS emulation.

You can also buy the PS2 version for example of Midway Arcade Treasures and emulate that one on PC. You will still need the console's bios files though.

And now, after I wrote all this I checked and saw that the game is actually available on GOG and I have it there and it runs (it is the DOS version)

Where do you come from, some of the older games are not available in all regions but you can still buy them over a VPN and then play them.

This is the GOG page with the MK1, MKII and MK3 bundle: https://www.gog.com/en/game/mortal_kombat_123
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
StJet
Mortal
XBox Live: jet360101

Post by StJet »

Oh cool, I didn't know, thanks for telling me man 👍
God Bless,
Jet
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Just keep in mind, there are differences between the PC version and the Emulated Arcade original, which is what all the newer releases are.
I Rule This World!

dr_st
Mortal
Side: Darkness

Post by dr_st »

And there are also differences between the DOS and the Windows versions of MK3. MK3 Windows is almost exactly like the PSX version.

ded_ did an extensive breakdown in Kombat Kolumns:
https://www.mksecrets.net/index.php?sec ... entID=4066

The DOS version is the one in the GOG package, as you said.

For the Windows 95 version, I know of now guaranteed legal way of obtaining it, short of getting a used copy on eBay or the like. You would need to look for the one that says "Windows 95 & MS-DOS" on the CD and jewel case to be sure. Those that don't say that are likely to include just the DOS version.

With that said, running the Win95 version on a modern PC may be tricky in itself.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

That actually made me check what my MK3 PC Big Box says, it seems to be just the DOS version.
I Rule This World!

dr_st
Mortal
Side: Darkness

Post by dr_st »

The combined DOS/W95 CD will contain, in addition to all the DOS files, also Windows-specific files, like MK3W.EXE and DIRECTX.

I don't know if there existed copies that only had the Windows version.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

You picked my interest and I actually checked my CD. It is in fact just the DOS version and Windows 11 simply refuses to run the 16bit application.
I Rule This World!

Return to “Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, MK3 and MK Trilogy”