Replace XBOX buttons with PlayStation buttons for Practice Mode

tetsuro1
Mortal

Replace XBOX buttons with PlayStation buttons for Practice Mode

Post by tetsuro1 »

Hi, everyone!

I need some help in replacing the XBOX buttons in MK9 with PlayStation buttons.

Originally, there is a mod that does this sort of thing which I've installed, however, the mod author failed to replace the XBOX buttons in the game's "Practice Mode", so instead of the buttons looking like this, they look like this, and this

Now, within in-game files, I found the XBOX buttons that the original author missed, but unfortunately, I can't edit those textures for the life of me.

I've followed every step to the letter in this tutorial, but I just can't seem to get it to work. I don't own Photoshop, so I was using GIMP, so maybe the DDS plugins are different in some way? Even if they were the same, I just couldn't edit them properly, as buttons always become stretched, or unfit.

I even tried to do it with Paint.NET, but I had the same results :(

Now, I'm looking if there are any experienced graphic editing modders out there who could help me out with this?

I have all the necessary DDS files required to edit the vanilla XBOX buttons used in the game.

I uploaded the ZIP archive containing those texture files here: https://mega.nz/file/8TQBRDiB#oBrDoGpKd ... oCmYHspIT0

The ui_c_buttonLib folder is where you can find the PS icon assets, and the ui_c_buttonLib_n is where the vanilla XBOX icons can be found. If you can somehow replace the XBOX icons with the ones from the PS folder, I'd really appreciate it.

All of the files are of the same dimensions (128x128), the only thing needed is to replace the buttons within them with the ones from the PS icons (hopefully without stretching them as I did).

Once that's done, just ZIP the files, and send them to me.

Cheers!

zepterrian
Grand Master
Side: Light

Re: Replace XBOX buttons with PlayStation buttons for Practice Mode

Post by zepterrian »

tetsuro1 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:06 am I've followed every step to the letter in this tutorial, but I just can't seem to get it to work. I don't own Photoshop, so I was using GIMP, so maybe the DDS plugins are different in some way? Even if they were the same, I just couldn't edit them properly, as buttons always become stretched, or unfit.
I don't know what you mean with "fit" but it makes me think about the shape of the buttons.
If that's your problem you need to edit the alpha channel too. Look in the "channels" tab. There should be a layer named "alpha". That would be the shape of your buttons.
For the raptor race...
tetsuro1
Mortal

Post by tetsuro1 »

zepterrian wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:36 pm I don't know what you mean with "fit" but it makes me think about the shape of the buttons.
By "fit", I mean "not stretched", that is when you use the PS assets from the ui_c_buttonLib folder, you don't stretch them, just copy-paste them. But so far, everything I tried did not work.
If that's your problem you need to edit the alpha channel too. Look in the "channels" tab. There should be a layer named "alpha". That would be the shape of your buttons.
That's way beyond the scope of my knowledge. I don't understand what any of that means.

Like I've said before, I've never done graphics editing, and I'd rather not waste hours learning the material just for a simple mod like this, which is the reason I created this request.

If there are any experienced graphic editors out here on the forum, I'd appreciate their help as I have no skills in this field.
tetsuro1
Mortal

Post by tetsuro1 »

zepterrian wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:36 pm
tetsuro1 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:06 am I've followed every step to the letter in this tutorial, but I just can't seem to get it to work. I don't own Photoshop, so I was using GIMP, so maybe the DDS plugins are different in some way? Even if they were the same, I just couldn't edit them properly, as buttons always become stretched, or unfit.
I don't know what you mean with "fit" but it makes me think about the shape of the buttons.
Okay, I managed to replace those files somehow without them looking like crap.

Zepp, can you tell me how can I "repackage" those DDS files back into the .XXX file format?
zepterrian
Grand Master
Side: Light

Post by zepterrian »

tetsuro1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:04 am Okay, I managed to replace those files somehow without them looking like crap.

Zepp, can you tell me how can I "repackage" those DDS files back into the .XXX file format?
it is well explained in the texture guide (step by step). Check: viewtopic.php?t=6311

you will need MK9TextureTool and mk9.DDSInjector for that.
For the raptor race...

Return to “Mortal Kombat 9 Mod and Skin Requests”