Need help with the KungLao hat

Hanzo-Hasashi
Warrior
Side: Darkness

Need help with the KungLao hat

Post by Hanzo-Hasashi »

Hello everyone, there is a question, is it possible to remove the hat from KungLao, without using a 3d editor? This question arose with the creation of the Reiko mod on the KungLao character.

The skins were drawn on the dlc character Great KungLao by Luckeylad
Attachments
91D77E7F-A194-44CA-9919-CDC611058971.jpeg
C732CB9E-1A5E-41F8-99C1-117ADF88F0FC.jpeg

zepterrian
Grand Master
Side: Light

Re: Need help with the KungLao hat

Post by zepterrian »

Hanzo-Hasashi wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:44 pm Hello everyone, there is a question, is it possible to remove the hat from KungLao, without using a 3d editor? This question arose with the creation of the Reiko mod on the KungLao character.

I remember that material swap was the way that modders found to hide parts of the mesh way back when. And probably you can use that too.
The way I found to do that is to extract the export list from the character and check where the hat texture is located at (it should appear as a "MaterialInstanceConstant" or MIC to short).
On the left of the corresponding line you should see three columns of numbers. The second and third are the ones that matter. They are offset and size respectively.
Nevertheless they are stored as size and offset inside the char file (in that order). And in little endian format.

As example of your case I find this:
1162 80F94F 9C6 MaterialInstanceConstant KL_Hat_MIC

So I would go to the char file and open it with a hex editor and look for these values:
C6090000 4FF98000
Note they are the size and offset of that specific material written in little endian format. These values are always 4bytes.

Once I find them I would replace them using the next material:
1144 80D52F 1E0 MaterialInstanceConstant Interior_Acc_MIC

So I would change C6090000 for 0E010000 and 4FF98000 for 2FD58000. Save and test.

In theory we found kunglao's hat and swapped its material. Now watch for results in game. And if it doesn't work as you expect then you need to go back to the file and try another combination.
For the raptor race...
USF
Master

Post by USF »

zepterrian wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:53 am
Hanzo-Hasashi wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:44 pm Hello everyone, there is a question, is it possible to remove the hat from KungLao, without using a 3d editor? This question arose with the creation of the Reiko mod on the KungLao character.

I remember that material swap was the way that modders found to hide parts of the mesh way back when. And probably you can use that too.
The way I found to do that is to extract the export list from the character and check where the hat texture is located at (it should appear as a "MaterialInstanceConstant" or MIC to short).
On the left of the corresponding line you should see three columns of numbers. The second and third are the ones that matter. They are offset and size respectively.
Nevertheless they are stored as size and offset inside the char file (in that order). And in little endian format.

As example of your case I find this:
1162 80F94F 9C6 MaterialInstanceConstant KL_Hat_MIC

So I would go to the char file and open it with a hex editor and look for these values:
C6090000 4FF98000
Note they are the size and offset of that specific material written in little endian format. These values are always 4bytes.

Once I find them I would replace them using the next material:
1144 80D52F 1E0 MaterialInstanceConstant Interior_Acc_MIC

So I would change C6090000 for 0E010000 and 4FF98000 for 2FD58000. Save and test.

In theory we found kunglao's hat and swapped its material. Now watch for results in game. And if it doesn't work as you expect then you need to go back to the file and try another combination.
the problem here is that the original Kung Lao that he wants to use between his legs has a cape that has a common material with a hat, if you do as you say, as far as I understand, it will disappear too, but only Hanzo needs to make sure that the cape remains and the hat got out
I apologize if I make mistakes, I write through a translator. (My native language is russian)
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/USFmoddingchannel
Check out my workspace: viewtopic.php?t=48432
zepterrian
Grand Master
Side: Light

Post by zepterrian »

I don't know kunglao's textures.
But If what you say is true, an alternative method is to mess directly with the mesh in blender.
Probably the alpha channel of the diff texture has something to offer too. But when it comes to dmg parts, it will be easier just to get rid of the hat in blender.
For the raptor race...
Hanzo-Hasashi
Warrior

Post by Hanzo-Hasashi »

That cape between the legs is also lost with a hat, you will need to use a 3d editor. I need it to be in place like a ninja
MFS
Warrior

Post by MFS »

I've also just checked Kung's resources, he also has Accessory DMG texture/MIC and it has invisibility, so you may try to swap it with the regular Accessory textures and then turn the alpha channel to black only in the hat area, thus making the hat invisible and leaving the cape as it is.
But the question is what will happen with Accessory damage after that, it will lose invisibility & may become glitchy. But I'd definitely try this thing.
Telegram: @mfskhaos

Return to “Mortal Kombat 9 Mod and Skin Requests”