Netherrealm Studios Announces Mortal Kombat: Onslaught

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Netherrealm Studios Announces Mortal Kombat: Onslaught

Post by Gambid »

<!--Tags: mko, mkm-->Warner Bros. Games and Netherrealm Studios have just announced Mortal Kombat: Onslaught, a new collection role-playing game (RPG) launching globally in 2023 for mobile devices.The game is developed by Netherrealm Studios and will feature the first mobile-exclusive cinematic story experience for the franchise. Have a look at this official announcement artwork for the game:
Mortal Kombat Onslaught Key Art
For the announcement of the game Mortal Kombat co-creator and Netherrealm Studios Chief Creative Officer Ed Boon had this to say:
“We are pushing the boundaries of Mortal Kombat to allow players to experience the franchise in new ways, while still staying true to its core visceral nature,”

“With Mortal Kombat: Onslaught, we reimagined Mortal Kombat into a strategic team-based collection RPG with fast-paced, group melee combat that both new and existing fans can enjoy.”
In addition, it was also announced that Mortal Kombat Mobile has reached 150 million installs across iOS and Android devices.

Check the official press release for more detailed information:
October 18, 2022 09:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Warner Bros. Games today announced Mortal Kombat: Onslaught, a new collection role-playing game (RPG) launching globally in 2023 for mobile devices. Developed and co-published by award-winning NetherRealm Studios, Mortal Kombat: Onslaught will feature the first mobile-exclusive cinematic story experience for the franchise, where players must build a team of fighters from a vast roster of characters – and unleash them in massive real-time group battles to stop a dark and dangerous threat from wreaking havoc across the realms.

This title will be the newest mobile entry for the Mortal Kombat franchise since the release of Mortal Kombat Mobile, which has amassed more than 150 million installs and is one of the top five most downloaded fighting games on iOS and Android. Mortal Kombat is also celebrating a major milestone this month with their 30th anniversary – a testimony to the enduring popularity and critical acclaim of this legendary franchise.

“Mortal Kombat is a legendary franchise and pop culture phenomenon, and it continues to engage players and advance the fighting genre across multiple platforms,” said David Haddad, President, Warner Bros. Games. “Mortal Kombat: Onslaught is a testament to why Mortal Kombat has been a top gaming franchise for over 30 years, as the NetherRealm team continues to innovate and bring new gameplay to fans.”

“We are pushing the boundaries of Mortal Kombat to allow players to experience the franchise in new ways, while still staying true to its core visceral nature,” said Ed Boon, Chief Creative Officer, NetherRealm Studios. “With Mortal Kombat: Onslaught, we reimagined Mortal Kombat into a strategic team-based collection RPG with fast-paced, group melee combat that both new and existing fans can enjoy.”

Players can sign up now at onslaught.mortalkombat.com and be one of the first to hear more about Mortal Kombat: Onslaught.
Are you excited about this announcement and the latest entry in the Mortal Kombat franchise? Tell us in the comments.

Did you like this update? Then follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Discord.
Attachments
Mortal_Kombat_Onslaught_Key_Art_.jpg

I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Roy Arkon
God
Side: Darkness
PSN: RoyArkon46

Re: Netherrealm Studios Announces Mortal Kombat: Onslaught

Post by Roy Arkon »

OK, I got two questions out of this:

1) Since that it's a cinematic story-focused game, is the story gonna be canon? MK Vs. DC used to be non-canon but with the aspect with time travel in the MK universe it now has become canon. And even MK Shaolin Monks, which is currently the only non-canon MK game, can still become canon not only because of the time travel concept, but because MKSM's version of MK2's story actually goes hand-to-hand with MK Vs. DC's story as it's beginning seems like the end of MK3's story with the invasion to Earthrealm and all. Not to mention that all the characters keep their MKX and MK11 outfits, and if the game was gonna be canon, it's would be logical to expect that at least the outfits would be brand new.

2) NRS/WB also said that NRS are co-publishing the game alongside WB, something that has never been done before. Is that could be NRS testing the option that they might leave WB and buy the MK IP from WB so they can continue with MK on their own? If that's the case, this will huge implications on the series going forward.
No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

1. Here I thing we will have to wait and see. The outfit do indeed represent the ones from the console games, which does not surprise me. I don't believe that the game has the budget of a console game release, so there is no way it can reach its quality level. Regarding canon, for me everything is canon, it just happens in its own corner of the MK-verse (as introduced in MK11)

2. Don't believe that this is the case here. Netherrealm Studios cannot buy itself out of WB as it is part of WB. Someone either needs to buy it from them. WB can give them only a certain amount of freedom or even turn it into its independent entity. The latter could be, so that it can be more easily sold. The Studio having its own publishing capabilities gives it more value.
I Rule This World!

Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

I mean yeah, everything can be canon now with the time travel concept, but there's still needs to an official confirmation about this, because we didn't know that MK Vs. DC is now canon until Dominic Cianciolo confirmed that 2 years ago.

And regarding NRS, how come that NRS can't buy themselves out? The mere fact that anyone else can buy them means this exact thing, so Ed Boon can also buy the company and the MK IP as well, if he has the money and comes to agreement with WB. It's either everyone can buy it, or no one can. Also how WB turning a studio into an independent entity can make it more easily being bought in WB's favor? If the studio becomes an Indy studio, that means that they no longer under WB's umbrella, so if someone else buys them later, WB get no profit out of it.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Ed Boon can of course buy it, but he definitely does not have the money, and we are talking millions.

Why NRS cannot buy itself, because it doesn't have money, all its money are WB money. NRS have some creative freedom but not a financial one.

WB can strengthen the Studio and then sell it for more,
I Rule This World!

Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

Yes WB are the ones who call the shots while Ed Boon and NRS have only limited control, and yes WB are the ones who get most of the money, but Ed Boon and NRS get some of it too. And like I said, this could only be them testing the waters, nothing is guaranteed, so it might be a false speculation anyway.

Return to “News Articles”