Mortal Kombat Trilogy Remake Petition Nearing 25K: Images, Videos And Story Mode

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Mortal Kombat Trilogy Remake Petition Nearing 25K: Images, Videos And Story Mode

Post by Gambid »

At the beginning of December last year, we informed you about the currently ongoing petition, started by the guys from Eyeballistic Games in an attempt to convince Warner Bros. Games to green-lit their project for a Mortal Kombat Trilogy Remake. The studio has already tried multiple times in the recent years and failed to get the project going and hopes to achieve this with some help from the Mortal Kombat community.

In the meantime the petition has been signed by almost 22 000 people and its next milestone is the 25 000 mark. This is still pretty far from the goal of the studio of getting 100K signatures but it sure proves that reaching this goal is possible. Recently the petition caught the eye of websites such as Game Informer and Game Rant giving the project a much needed exposure.

On Twitter Eyeballistic Games CEO Joe Tresca and others have been posting mock up images and videos in an attempt to showcase the studios' vision for the remake and to get the fans excited. So let's have a look at what is new.

Let's begin with some screenshots that show the incredible models of Scorpion, Baraka, Sektor and Cyrax on two of the classic Mortal Kombat stages, The Church and The Pit 2:
Mortal Kombat Trilogy Remake Scorpion VS Baraka Church Screenshot Mortal Kombat Trilogy Remake Cyrax VS Sektor Screenshot Mortal Kombat Trilogy Remake Scorpion VS Baraka Screenshot
And while we are talking about the character models here is the Baraka one up close and also an early version of Shang Tsung from several years ago:
Mortal Kombat Trilogy Remake Baraka Model Mortal Kombat Trilogy Remake Shang Tsung Early Model
Part of the initial pitch for the remake was a Story Mode in a style similar to of what we are currently seeing in fighting games like Power Rangers: Battle For the Grid. Here are two pictures:
Mortal Kombat Trilogy Remake Story Mode Design 01 Mortal Kombat Trilogy Remake Story Mode Design 01
Before we move on to the videos, here are also some assets from the classic Graveyard arena that appeared in Mortal Kombat 3 and was even used to let the fans know that Johnny Cage has passed away by putting his name on one of the grave stones.
Mortal Kombat Trilogy Remake Graveyard Assets
Now, if you want to see all this in motion, here are two videos showing the glory of the designs. Have a look and of course keep in mind that these are just for the purpose of showcasing the design and ideas.
There is a lot to get you excited here and we as a Mortal Kombat fan-site that has been the home of countless amazing fan creations over the years see a true potential. If you do as well, we ask you to support the guys from Eyeballistic Games by signing their petition and by spreading the word to your friends over social media.

Click here if you want to read ouroriginal article on the topic. There you will find a lot more screenshots and a working prototype you can check out.

Did you like this update? Then follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Discord.
Attachments
mortal-kombat-trilogy-remake-the-graveyard-assets.jpg
mortal-kombat-trilogy-remake-story-putch-01.jpg
mortal-kombat-trilogy-remake-story-pitch-02.jpg
mortal-kombat-trilogy-remake-shang-tsung-early-model.jpg
mortal-kombat-trilogy-remake-scorpion-vs-baraka-church.jpg
mortal-kombat-trilogy-remake-scorpion-vs-baraka.jpg
mortal-kombat-trilogy-remake-cyrax-vs-sektor-church.jpg
mortal-kombat-trilogy-remake-baraka-model.jpg

I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Roy Arkon
God
Side: Darkness
PSN: RoyArkon46

Re: Mortal Kombat Trilogy Remake Petition Nearing 25K: Images, Videos And Story Mode

Post by Roy Arkon »

So they are adding a story mode too? That's a really good surprise, part of being a remake is to make it more content-filled then the original game in order to make it more modernized, so having this alongside the Arcade mode and it's endings will be a really good addition.
No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome
Gambid
Elder God

Re: Mortal Kombat Trilogy Remake Petition Nearing 25K: Images, Videos And Story Mode

Post by Gambid »

No, they aren't adding it. The project is not yet green-lit. The Story Mode was part of the initial pitch that got rejected by Warner Bros. Games.

If the project indeed moves forward, things might change.
I Rule This World!

a.martin
God
PSN: -
XBox Live: -

Post by a.martin »

every day I believe that WB is filled with incompetent people :T how would they not greenlit something like this that would definitely bring them money. I truly hope that this project will end up being a reality, because it looks amazing
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

I tried to get deeper into what happened so far. The team approached Warner Bros. twice already and they even had the support of Ed Boon. However the execs at WB Games apparently did not believe that the game will sell 100 000 copies and was thus not worth the investment.

In fact I do believe that if done right, the game might reach millions in sales.
I Rule This World!

iconbadgta
Mortal
XBox Live: iconbadgta

Post by iconbadgta »

The Cyrax and Sektor models look perfect (SIZE)!!

Keep the character sprites this size!!

Now i understand wanting to be "TRUE TO GAME" but here is a chance to make it better or like it's supposed to be. Realistic effects, etc. Not just a 4k Remake.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

There are many ways to approach a remaster/remake. A remaster might even use the code of the existing engine, replacing the characters. A remake might indeed create a separate game, based or inspired by what came before. I believe first thing for them is to just get this green-lit and then they can sit down with Warner Bros. Games and Netherrealm Studios and decide together on the details.

I believe that it would be really exciting to get this project going.
I Rule This World!

Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

Gambid wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:19 pm No, they aren't adding it. The project is not yet green-lit. The Story Mode was part of the initial pitch that got rejected by Warner Bros. Games.

If the project indeed moves forward, things might change.
Oh I misread that. Well that would be really cool if they do add, if and when the game gets the green light from WB.
a.martin wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:16 pm every day I believe that WB is filled with incompetent people :T how would they not greenlit something like this that would definitely bring them money. I truly hope that this project will end up being a reality, because it looks amazing
The devs said by themselves that WB didn't believe that the game will reach 100K units sold. That's why they are now having the petition to begin with, to get enough signatures so that WB will give them the green-light. And at least as of right now, they can't even get 25K people to sign it. It's not that WB are dumb, they are just very careful with their investments. I myself would really like to see this coming to life, but there are legit business that need to be taken care of before this can happen.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

To be honest, the whole 100k signatures is kind of weird for me. If Mortal Kombat has proven something over the years is that it can sell. I think that the 100k was the excuse that was given to the team to be honest. There must have been something else, like (as they said) lack of experience of the team at the time.

The petition not getting the signatures it needs and actually deserve is kind of bothering me. Far smaller and less unattractive projects manage to gain more traction and make bigger splash. This news alone has reached over 100k readers on our Facebook page, which is an amazing achievement. Yet not a lot of those led to signatures. I think Eyeballistic Games might need a better strategy and more engagement with the fans.
I Rule This World!

Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

Gambid wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:54 pm To be honest, the whole 100k signatures is kind of weird for me. If Mortal Kombat has proven something over the years is that it can sell. I think that the 100k was the excuse that was given to the team to be honest. There must have been something else, like (as they said) lack of experience of the team at the time.

The petition not getting the signatures it needs and actually deserve is kind of bothering me. Far smaller and less unattractive projects manage to gain more traction and make bigger splash. This news alone has reached over 100k readers on our Facebook page, which is an amazing achievement. Yet not a lot of those led to signatures. I think Eyeballistic Games might need a better strategy and more engagement with the fans.
But if they can't get even 25K people to sign it, that only proves that the 100K signatures thing isn't an excuse. Our Facebook page readers alone should've cover at least 90% of that if not all of that by now, as you said it reached over 100K readers, so if 100K signs is what was needed, then they could've sign it so the devs can show that to WB and get the green light.

Obviously that shows that it isn't a lack of experience being what prevents it from happening, but that the majority of people would rather play the original games on modern platforms rather than getting a remake of them. I myself said when the news for the petition first broke out, that as good as a remake might be, as far as MK is concerned, I would much rather play the original games rather than to get a remake of them. And WB knows that too, that's why we have the Arcade1Up MK Legacy Edition coming up. Yes MK has the sales section covered up, but there are also different types of projects that have more niche audiences than others, regardless of the franchise.

Like for example, last year the we got both Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl which are remakes of the generation 4 games, as well as New Pokemon Snap which is a sequel to the original one. Although each project had noticeable requests, and even though it is the Pokemon franchise (a gigantic franchise in it's own right), Pokemon BDSP managed to get 6 million copies sold after just one week, while for New Pokemon Snap it took like 6 months just to get 2.2 million copies sold, that's because the audience for gen 4 remakes was much bigger by comparison. So if that can happen to the Pokemon series, that can happen to Mortal Kombat as well.
Last edited by Roy Arkon on Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Well, there is a huge difference between reading about something and signing a petition, where you have to put you names and E-Mail address.

I truly believe that the petition is simply not getting the exposure it needs to generate buzz.
I Rule This World!

Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

Gambid wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:09 pm Well, there is a huge difference between reading about something and signing a petition, where you have to put you names and E-Mail address.

I truly believe that the petition is simply not getting the exposure it needs to generate buzz.
Of course there is a difference, but that's not the point here. If our Facebook page alone managed to get that many people to read it, and if this really had that much of a high demand, then this alone should've cover all of it up, on top of the fact that MK YouTubers like UnCagedGamez and MK and FGC sites like TYM and Eventhubs covered that up as well and let their audiences know about it. It's not the level of exposure that prevents it from getting more signs, because the exposure is there, it's that the demand doesn't appear as high as some people thought.

I mean, what else needs to be done? For WB to still give that the green light, let the devs make the game, and then release a trailer for it and only then the demand will be fully shown by the fans just because of the officialdom of it being an actual WB product? It doesn't work that way.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

You are right, there is the exposure within the Mortal Kombat community. But it end there, because MKSecrets, TYM, MK YouTubers, etc... all of these channels have more or less the same audience (same people).

Bigger exposure would be going after the channels that have exposure outside of the MK Community. IGN, GameSpot, ....
I Rule This World!

Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

Except the exposure is there as well. I just right now Googled that and already found articles about the petition in sites like Game Informer, the Gamer, Game Rant, Screen Rant, Nintendo Life, GGrecon and more just within the first page alone, with Nintendo Life and GGrecon even saying in the very titles of the articles that this project needs their readers' help for it to become a reality.

Yes, the NRS/WB internet community is small, both casual, hardcore and competitive players, same thing with the FGC, but the exposure and news about this project and petition are all over the interent, because it is still Mortal Kombat. The exposure isn't the problem here.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Then what do you think is it. I don't think that people do not want to have a game like this? BTW of the almost nearly 200k that saw the post on Facebook only about 9k klicked to read the news. So the first gap is there.
I Rule This World!

Return to “News Articles”