October 10th will be MK Trilogy's 25th Anniversary!

ZXT-92
Mortal
Side: Light
PSN: ZXT-1992
XBox Live: HeavyWeaponD88

October 10th will be MK Trilogy's 25th Anniversary!

Post by ZXT-92 »

Last edited by ZXT-92 on Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gambid
Elder God
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Re: October 10th will be MK Trilogy's 25th Anniversary!

Post by Gambid »

That's indeed correct. Didn't know the exact date. 25th Anniversary would have been a pretty nice timing for a remake. Don't think that such is going to happen though. On what console did you play?
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
ZXT-92
Mortal

Post by ZXT-92 »

N64 when it first came out, PS1 a few years after, then PC much later.
I own all three, but I prefer the disc-based version.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Nice. I do own the PS1 one and have played all three. To be honest I always preferred Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.
I Rule This World!

ZXT-92
Mortal

Post by ZXT-92 »

I have good reasons for preferring Trilogy over Ultimate:
1. Trilogy is basically every 2D MK arcade game mashed into one. No having to go back and forth between three games. Plus if you want MK1/2 gameplay, you can turn combos off.
2. I don't like illegally downloading ROMs, arcade or not. Since there's no arcade version of Trilogy, I don't have to fret over only being able to play "inferior" versions of the game. The PS1 (which is my preferred version) is the standard, the PC and Saturn are ports of the PS1, and the N64 is its own unique beast.
-I have OCD. That alone greatly justifies what I just said.

I don't care how many people hate the game, but I have every right to like Trilogy and even make it my favorite MK game if I want to, and I'll respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
ZXT-92
Mortal

Post by ZXT-92 »

Today's the big day!
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Yep, it is :)
I Rule This World!

Roy Arkon
God
Side: Darkness
PSN: RoyArkon46

Post by Roy Arkon »

ZXT-92 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:30 pm I have good reasons for preferring Trilogy over Ultimate:
1. Trilogy is basically every 2D MK arcade game mashed into one. No having to go back and forth between three games. Plus if you want MK1/2 gameplay, you can turn combos off.
2. I don't like illegally downloading ROMs, arcade or not. Since there's no arcade version of Trilogy, I don't have to fret over only being able to play "inferior" versions of the game. The PS1 (which is my preferred version) is the standard, the PC and Saturn are ports of the PS1, and the N64 is its own unique beast.
-I have OCD. That alone greatly justifies what I just said.

I don't care how many people hate the game, but I have every right to like Trilogy and even make it my favorite MK game if I want to, and I'll respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
It's not that people hate MKT, it's just that they prefer UMK3 over MKT, that's all. And yes, you can prefer whatever you like, everyone is entitled to his preferences.

I can see the pros of both UMK3 and MKT. MKT does indeed include all the chars from all the games plus almost all of the stages (except a couple from MK1) plus more Finishing moves, so it is the complete package as a product, as it is the final iteration of MK3. However, UMK3 is the more competitive acceptable game since both the disc and N64 versions of MKT were super different in terms of gameplay from each other and UMK3, and even though UMK3 had more home versions, it was much easier to gather all of it's competitive scene into it's original Arcade version, which MKT never had.

I also owned the PC version of MKT and I still have the disc up to this day. Never got to own UMK3 since I never owned a console that had UMK3 (like SNES or Genesis) so I could've only play UMK3 at the arcades which were very far from my home, and even by the time I got PS1, I already got the PC version of MKT.

It is indeed crazy that it's been 25 years since MKT first came out, indeed an excellent game.
Last edited by Roy Arkon on Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome
ZXT-92
Mortal

Post by ZXT-92 »

Roy Arkon wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:07 pm It's not that people hate MKT, it's just that they prefer UMK3 over MKT, that's all. And yes, you can prefer whatever you like, everyone is entitled to his preferences.
Thank You for clearing that up, this makes me feel a lot better now.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

To be fair, Mortal Kombat Trilogy is the most beloved 2D fighting game of an entire generation, namely the one that started on the original PlayStation. Of course there was also MK3 and I believe MK2, but there was no port of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

I personally believe that they both have strengths and weaknesses and it all depends on what a person wants. Mortal Kombat Trilogy has the content, the character and the arenas. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is the preferred choice of tournament players as it is way more balanced.

Things might have been different if there was an arcade version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

As a kid I didn't have a PlayStation. I had a Mega Drive with MKII and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, which I played probably a little bit too much. Then I jumped to PC with Mortal Kombat Trilogy and Mortal Kombat 4.
I Rule This World!

Roy Arkon
God
Side: Darkness
PSN: RoyArkon46

Post by Roy Arkon »

Gambid wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:45 pm To be fair, Mortal Kombat Trilogy is the most beloved 2D fighting game of an entire generation, namely the one that started on the original PlayStation. Of course there was also MK3 and I believe MK2, but there was no port of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

I personally believe that they both have strengths and weaknesses and it all depends on what a person wants. Mortal Kombat Trilogy has the content, the character and the arenas. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is the preferred choice of tournament players as it is way more balanced.

Things might have been different if there was an arcade version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

As a kid I didn't have a PlayStation. I had a Mega Drive with MKII and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, which I played probably a little bit too much. Then I jumped to PC with Mortal Kombat Trilogy and Mortal Kombat 4.
Yes there were PS1 ports of MK2 and vanilla MK3 but no port of UMK3 for the PS1, it was on other consoles instead.

And regarding UMK3, that game was more balanced in comparison to MKT, yes, but it had it's balance issues as well. The balance was one of the main reasons for players to prefer UMK3 over MKT indeed, but the truly main reason was that UMK3 players were all gathered on the Arcade version of it and then when they tried to jump to MKT, they couldn't have decided which version of MKT to go with as both versions were not only too different from MKT but also from each other, as I've said before. Of course that there are players of MKT, mainly in South America as their MK scene was always a more console-based one rather then an Arcade-based one, so playing MKT not only wasn't an issue for them, but it was the much more preferred choice.

There is a video from Ketchup fully explaining why competitive players prefer UMK3 over MKT. It's not a long video, you're welcome to check it out if you wish.

No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome

Return to “Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, MK3 and MK Trilogy”