Kombat Kolumns Rant

SpiDoL
Mortal

Kombat Kolumns Rant

Post by SpiDoL »

I wrote this on another forum a long time ago, but this applies to ded_ and his Kombat Kolumns:
Before I begin, let me say that this is not directed specifically at Gamespot. This goes out to all the sites, magazines, TV shows, etc. who have chosen reviews to be their main backbone.

A person's opinion IS NOT THE WORD OF GOD.

However, most people are too stupid to understand that.
They ALWAYS believe EVERY SINGLE WORD the media tells them.

Sonic the Hedgehog "was" my Favorite Game of All Time. I loved playing as the blue blur zipping through the pretty stages and bashing Robotnik's machines. But because of all the hatred and backlash 90% of reviewers have been giving him, I was literally forced to change my favorite game away from Sonic, a VERY painful decision.

I still love playing as Sonic, but I cannot have a favorite game that's nearly universally hated. And some reviewers even have the nerve to take their hatred over the edge. For example, IGN listing Sonic as the 3rd Most Overrated Game Character in History and even saying he should die. And X-Play stating that all Sonic games should be destroyed. I have condemned and stopped supporting both IGN and X-Play because of their evil actions. Yes, I say evil, because they thought it was fun and entertaining to take their opinion and shove it into our faces.

And it's not just me. One of my good friends watched as X-Play was hyping up and saying promising things about his eagerly anticipated game, The Force Unleashed. And when they backstabbed the game by giving it a poor review (and again (AT CHRISTMASTIME) taking their hatred over the edge and listing the game as a game you give to people you hate), it broke his poor heart. I myself wasn't that interested in TFU, but thought it was an OK game. But I feel sorry for my friend, because now he's preparing to write a hate letter to X-Play and give them the royal whipping they deserve.

I know this is probably going to be a lost cause, but I really want people to be their own judge about a game, NOT shove their opinion in someone else's face and making them cry, and STOP thinking that reviews are the Word of God! So many potentially good games have been utterly destroyed by reviews and because people were stupid enough to listen to them. I truly wish this would change. For the better, NOT for the greater good.
I've noticed that ded_ disses nearly every single home version of Mortal Kombat (even Midway Arcade Treasures, which is as close as you can get to the arcade without emulation) and even tells you not to play some of them! I can understand the handheld ports excluding the PSP, but he even disses the versions we grew up with like Genesis and SNES.

I've also noticed that ded_ is a motherfucking elitist. I can tell because he's always bragging about how the versions he disses in the Kombat Kolumns aren't fit for competitive play. Also, wheras Gambid and the other mods like all the Mortal Kombats as their favorite game, ded_ only likes UMK3. So it's obvious that he writes those Kolumns and disses those other versions just to make himself look good and make poor people cry.

So, I have a message for the people on this site, and MK Fans in general:
STOP reading Kombat Kolumns. They're heaviliy opinionated.
FLAME ded_. He's a fucking elitist and likes to masturbate about it.
and most importantly...
BE YOUR OWN JUDGE ABOUT THE FUCKING VERSION OF THE GAME! Don't become ded_'s slave, think for yourselves.

If you people don't want to listen to me, fine. If ded_ wants to eviscerate me, fine. I just wanted to express MY opinion about you, about ded_, and about the fucking biased Kombat Kolumns. Good day.

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Re: Kombat Kolumns Rant

Post by Gambid »

I have been the editor of all Kombat Kolumns that have been released so far. Currently we have 24 Kombat Kolumns, including one guest and one co-written by myself.

Everything written by ded_ has been backed up with facts from the game itself. Almost every home port is significantly inferior when compared with the original and people should know that. The Kombat Kolumns are not intended to make someone hate a certain game. Most of them are extremely unique and contain knowledge about the game that cannot be found anywhere else.

Perhaps ded_'s eye is more critical than the one of most fans and he notices things that others wouldn't.

The section is called Kombat Kolumns and the articles are of course heavily influenced by the experience of the author. We offer our visitors to write a Kolumn and if it is good it will be published.

Ask yourself, what would you rather read. A review from a "huge and popular" gaming website, where reviews are based on how much money the publisher has paid for the article and are written by people who have spent only several hours with the game or a review written by a fan who has dedicated a lot of his time to the franchise.

About the Genesis and the SNES versions. Almost all fans like them because most of them grew up with these games, including myself. But should we write what people want to hear, we are not politicians :)
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
SpiDoL
Mortal

Post by SpiDoL »

Hmm...

That clears up a lot, but I still think you want to sucker people into agreeing with articles.
Last edited by SpiDoL on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TehManeater
Mortal

Post by TehManeater »

Perhaps ded_'s eye is more critical than the one of most fans and he notices things that others wouldn't.
Enough Said... :P
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

We actually welcome criticism, as long as it is constructive and based on facts :)

Would love to hear some suggestions. Articles about what do you wanna see in this section.

I will move this topic in our "The Site" section, where it actually belongs.
I Rule This World!

SpiDoL
Mortal

Post by SpiDoL »

I'd like to request permission to write a "second opinion" Kombat Kolumn about Midway Arcade Treasures, because out of all the articles ded_'s written, that one offends me the most.

I can understand why he was so harsh about the early console ports, but like I said before, Midway Arcade's the closest thing we're gonna get to the original arcade (besides PSN and XBLA), so I strongly disagree with him treating them like trash.

Also, he lied about the PSP version. He said that the MKII crashes and freezes when you fight Jade. I own the PSP version of the game, and I can confirm that that statement is wrong.

I promise not to go "THIS IS THE GREATEST GAME EVER LALALALA!" or something like that. I promise not to attack ded_ even though I still think he's a f'n tight-ass. Do you think we have a deal?
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

The article you mention "Midway Arcade Treasures Issues" ( http://www.mksecrets.net/index.php?sect ... entID=4081 ) is not exactly a review of the versions.

The title says it best. The article is about the problems of these ports.

About you writing a Kombat Kolumn? Can't say I am opposed to it, we have published Guest Kolumns before. Make a short version with the things you want to include in it and PM or E-Mail it to me. The most important thing is that you stay objective and are able to back-up everything you say.

I will be able to tell you more once I see the PM/E-Mail.

What I do not want is a fight in the Kombat Kolumns section, nor do I want to see a repetitive content which I am afraid might happen in this case.
I Rule This World!

SpiDoL
Mortal

Post by SpiDoL »

All right then. I'll send you an e-mail on Saturday.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Keep in mind I may not reply immediately, because I am going to Sweden for the weekend, kind of taking a few days off :)
I Rule This World!

SpiDoL
Mortal

Post by SpiDoL »

It looks like I'm unable to do the second opinion, because ded_ reviewed every version of MAT on every console, and I don't have an XBOX, so I can't review the XBOX version.

I'll just stay away from the Kombat Kolumns, that way I won't get upset by them and have to attack you people anymore. Just please do me a favor: Don't go all-out over forcing visitors to read the articles and agree with them. Once again, you need to let them be their own judge about the many versions of MK.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Force people?!? When and how did we ever do that? This is a website, everyone can leave at any time and read whatever they want.

Must I remind everyone what a column is?

MKSecrets will continue advertising it's newest content in any possible way. That is the only way people who might be interested can find it.
I Rule This World!

SpiDoL
Mortal

Post by SpiDoL »

All right, that's all I wanted. I'll go now and read the other info on the site...
Noob Saibot
Warrior

Post by Noob Saibot »

I personally like the Kombat Kolumns. Don't know what are you so upset about. Aren't you tired of reading the same things all the time in articles that the publisher gave money to be written.
We share blood, but we are not brothers.
SpiDoL
Mortal

Post by SpiDoL »

Sorry to bump this thread, but it's the right place to post this:
Another thing I hate about the Kombat Kolumns, is that ded_ used them to publicly decree that MKT is basically a piece of shit and is only allowed to be played at home, by yourself, never with anyone else.

He's most likely not going to do this, but it's haunted me forever, and I want him to apologize, not because he thinks the game sucks (I'm aware that a lot of people hate MKT for one reason or another), but because of his declaration that you're not allowed to play the game with other people and/or online. If he won't do it since he's so full of shit, then you can apologize for him. I want that declaration abolished. I think I (and pretty much everyone who likes the game) deserve it.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Hi SpiDoL, you realize that this is a discussion that began 12 years ago? If this article has bothered you for the past 12 years than me explaining and telling you the same things all over again will not make it better for you.

I understand the passion someone can have about a game and I am sorry to hear about the effect that this article had on you. However I cannot apologize for your reaction on ded's opinion on the game (backed up by the example's he has provided in the article).

Why do you allow someone's opinion to influence you and to prevent you from enjoying the game? What does the one has to do with the other? How is it possible that only now you are reacting in some way?

You can always try to contact ded via PM.
I Rule This World!

Return to “Feedback And Questions”