Register    Login    Search   View active topics    FAQ

Post subject: Thompson starts another fight as...
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:46 pm 
Elder God

Side: Light
XBox Live: Armored Gambid
GameSpot has published the following article:

Judge recuses himself from Bully case while Florida lawyer turns his attention to Mortal Kombat: Armageddon for "an unauthorized commercial exploitation" of his likeness.

Those who thought the denial of Jack Thompson's attempt to have Take-Two's Bully banned would leave the Florida attorney quietly sulking in the corner apparently don't know Jack.

While Thompson couldn't stop Bully from being released, he did have choice words for the judge who heard his case, and he was made to appear before the court yesterday at the request of Take-Two's lawyers to explain why he shouldn't be held in contempt of court. The hearing began with Judge Ronald Friedman engaging in a series of sharp exchanges with Thompson. As can be seen in video of the even posted on Destructoid.com, at one point Friedman summoned a bailiff when Thompson attempted to display a large white cardboard sign.

Friedman then proceeded to tell Thompson that he felt "the statements made to this court about this court by Mr. Thompson, I find inappropriate for a member of the Florida bar, unprofessional, and contemptible." Friedman then read several excerpts from letters from Thompson, in which he called the original Bully hearing "a disturbing abortion of justice" and threatened to sue Friedman personally.

Another tense verbal exchange between a visibly agitated Thompson and an oddly serene Friedman followed. Friedman then said that he had filed a complaint with the Florida bar and that he was going to recuse himself from the case. He warned Thompson that the next judge "might not be as kind" as he had been. Thompson quickly countered with a brief verbal fusillade of his own blasting Friedman's decision while declaring respect for his office.

While Thompson is still in the thick of his Bully battle, he made time today to fire off a cease-and-desist order to Midway Games. He wants the publisher to stop distributing Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, but contrary to what one might expect, he didn't cite the game's over-the-top violence as a reason to stop selling it.

"It has today come to my attention that the newly recently [sic] Mortal Kombat: Armageddon contains an unauthorized commercial exploitation of my name, photograph, image, and likeness within the game," Thompson wrote in an e-mail addressed to Midway president and CEO David Zucker and carbon-copied to several news outlets. "You are commanded to cease and desist immediately from the distribution of this game because of this unauthorized, illegal content." (Emphasis in original.)

While Armageddon does boast a roster of more than 60 characters, Thompson isn't among them. Judging from a photo of the game included with Thompson's e-mail, he is referring to a character made using the game's kreate-a-fighter mode. The photo was part of a feature on Gaming Target yesterday, which contained formulas for making a number of unlicensed characters from the game's various customization options. Other familiar faces in the feature included Hulk Hogan, Ash from Army of Darkness, director Kevin Smith in his Silent Bob alter ego, and Friday the 13th antagonist Jason Voorhees.

A similar issue went to court in 2004 when Marvel Comics sued City of Heroes publisher NCsoft and developer Cryptic Studios claiming that the game infringed on its trademarks by allowing players to re-create trademarked Marvel characters using the game's create-a-character tools. The parties settled out of court in December of last year, and earlier this year it was revealed that the comic company is now working with Cryptic on Microsoft's new massively multiplayer online game based on the Marvel Universe.

As of press time, Midway had not responded to a request for comment.

Click GameSpot to read the original text.

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:15 pm 
God

I hope the Judge throws the book at that PMS'ing monster Jack Thompson

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:17 pm 
God

I'm kind of lost here?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:47 pm 
Mortal

lin kuei prodigy wrote:
I'm kind of lost here?

to sum it all up, he wants midway to stop distributing mortal kombat armageddon because you can make him in KAK

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:46 pm 
God

F*** JACK TOMPSON!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:47 pm 
God

camre wrote:
lin kuei prodigy wrote:
I'm kind of lost here?

to sum it all up, he wants midway to stop distributing mortal kombat armageddon because you can make him in KAK

You mean thompson? wow now this is kind of bllsht. I mean well it is not the 1st midway games has a lot of legal issues.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:50 pm 
God

i hope thompson gets an extreamly slippery bar of soap.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:52 pm 
God

A btchslap would do good.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:54 pm 
God

a nut shot would sound better.

but anyways,its one thing or another with thompson

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:01 am 
God

What would borat think about it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:13 am 
Master

Side: Light
who is jack thompson and why is he angry?

VENGEANCE WILL BE MINE!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:26 am 
God

Jack Tompson is one of the many things wrong with America. It seems like you can't release an M-rated game anymore without him getting his panties in a twist and calling every judge in Florida.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:46 pm 
God

He's a wack pansy lolie guy.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:10 am 
God

Side: Darkness
XBox Live: Korig
That sucks and all, but now I want to know how to make Silent Bob and Hulk Hogan.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:09 pm 
God

I'll agree with you on Silent Bob anyway.