What's the most consistent way to beat the CPU in MK1?

WantToBeatTheAI
Mortal

What's the most consistent way to beat the CPU in MK1?

Post by WantToBeatTheAI »

To be more specific, I would want to know how to utilize a CPU Behavior/Pattern Exploit that works on ALL Difficulty Settings, preferably on the maximum one (Very Hard) assuming if anyone knows, and if there is actually one that exists for the original Mortal Kombat.

More specifically, methods that apply only for the Arcade and modern Re-release editions such MK Arcade Kollection.

I've gone through some videos on youtube and learned methods on how to "break" and counter the the CPU's pattern programmed flaws in MK2 and a bit of UMK3, but in MK1 or MK4 I have absolutely no clue what as to what actually works consistently to "trick" the CPU into constantly making mistakes giving enough time for a human player to counter attack them repeatedly and consistently.

I know the end result would probably turn out to be a bit boring to watch, but I don't really care about that. What I want to know is what is the Anti-CPU pattern in MK1? If there are any at all, are they universal enough on all difficulty settings? Are are they more specific as to if you play as X and when you are up against Y, then here's exactly what you do to have the best chance, if not, almost Guaranteed chance of winning the match? If it's the latter it would probably be much harder to adapt and learn and take way more practice.

In MK2 however such a universal Anti-CPU Behavior/Pattern does exist and it was almost Almost Universal for ALL Characters and difficulties.

For MK2 I've learned that the most consistent method is to wait for the computer to come close to you, best to crouch and then once they get close to you, immediately jump back.

Then the CPU pauses briefly majority of the time and then jumps toward you without attacking. This pattern flaw leaves them wide open for a brief moment but still more than enough time to counter attack them right before they land.

I figured MK1 may have a similar universal or semi-universal CPU Behavior Pattern exploit somewhere human players can take advantage of and ultimately beat or reach the Boss(es) WITHOUT ever having to use a Single Continue.

But I've yet to locate a guide anywhere from online such as YouTube, etc. Somebody mentioned far away jump kicks on GameFAQs, but I have not been able to get it to work consistently.

Maybe it's character specific methods rather than a universal or semi-universal pattern?

Quick Note: Regarding the MK2 anti-cpu pattern method I've learned that you can only execute this if you are playing on the "Left" side (Player 1) and it won't work on the "Right" (Player 2) Side.

Other limits of that MK2 pattern trick is that it will NOT WORK with the following characters: Liu Kang, Kitana, Mileena, Raiden, and Kung Lao. Actually the pattern exploit sometimes work Kung Lao but only for like the first 2 or 3 oppnents and then it just somehow stops working so you can't depend on it.

Highly recommend setting the difficulty to maximum (Very Hard) as the trick can be executed even on the first opponent, whereas to normally (Medium), you'd have to wait at least until the 3rd or 4th opponent before the pattern exploit kicks in.

WantToBeatTheAI
Mortal

Re: What's the most consistent way to beat the CPU in MK1?

Post by WantToBeatTheAI »

Never mind I think I kind of figured it out by analyzing multiple videos on beating MK on Very Hard without Continuing.

I guess they were right about a Jump Kick repetition pattern exploit loophole. I still have to get the distance right and timing on when to press kick after jumping once I have the time to test to confirm it for myself.

Since I've seen it in multiple videos I would think that it's a legit loophole exploit players can use and is therefore reasonable considered a consistent method on totally getting good payback on the computer.

Yes, it does get considerably boring to watch after a while rinsing and repeating this pattern exploit, but the point was a consistent method to beat the computer and get payback, not to make it look like some fancy choreographed fight scene in an action movie or make an outstanding Combos Video, so what would you expect?

Other than that here's what I've found:

Liu Kang

Johnny Cage

Raiden

Sonya Blade

Kano

Sub-Zero

Scorpion
Parallax MK
Mortal

Post by Parallax MK »

Friend, if you want to know how to defeat the AI in different ways check out my channel, but before that I will explain, Raiden, Kano and Cage have more jumps back combo that is close the opponent and only works in the player 1 it is against this all the characters in the player 2 only work against Liu Kang Raiden and Sonya. The other method is that it only works in the player is to be in the middle distance, jump over him without using punches or kicks and react with a computer power.

this works in 5.0 and earlier versions (1.0 to 4.0)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPSdrN ... MNRW2mNa3w
dr_st
Mortal
Side: Darkness

Post by dr_st »

So, I don't know of a universal exploit strategy, but the think about MK1, is that in this game, the AI is actually the closest to something reasonable, more so than any other early MK game. This, combined with the fact that the game is slower than the later ones, and there are no cheap combos for the AI to abuse, means that it is actually possible to defeat the AI, even on Very Hard, using something that resembles normal strategies. It's possible that this is why no one bothered to look for, or publish, a universal exploit.

With that said, the AI does fall a lot for the far away jump kick repetition which you mentioned. It won't work 100% of the time, especially on Very Hard, so you cannot rely just on that. But it is a primary weapon. If your jump kick is blocked, often the AI will try to hit you with a special move, which you can block yourself, and retaliate (with a roundhouse, standing kick, sweep, uppercut, special move of your own, or even another jump kick in the case of Raiden's Torpedo which lands far from you).

This means that Liu Kang is likely the most difficult character to beat the AI with, as his jump kick is very poor. Using the same sprites as his flying kick, it hits horizontally and not diagonally, which means that it's great from far, but will not connect from close to medium range, and since the AI absolutely loves walking towards you, in many cases you will not be able to connect with Kang's jump kick where any other character would connect just fine.

Worse, if the jump kick is blocked, and the AI retaliates, then "retaliation against retaliation" with Kang is difficult, because he seems to have slow moves with shitty range (esp. his roundhouse).

So playing with Liu Kang you will have to rely more on supplemental strategies, such as ducking and trying to hit the approaching AI with well-timed crouching kicks. Make sure to hold away from the opponent while doing so, as it will minimize (though not eliminate) the chance of being thrown.

The AI likes to use special moves a lot, so I end up varying the strategy a bit to adapt to each specific characters. For instance, against characters with fast body launch moves (Kano, Raiden, Liu Kang), I play defensively, waiting for them to launch a move, block it, then punish. With Sub-Zero, Cage, and to a lesser degree Sonya, which rely a lot on their slow projectiles with long recovery, I prefer to keep my distance, jump around a lot, and punish with jump kicks. Scorpion is a mixed bag, as sometimes he uses his spear a lot and sometimes he doesn't.

Return to “Mortal Kombat 1 (1992)”