Character mesh mod test

aman
Mortal

Character mesh mod test

Post by aman »

An work in progress character mod. Replace skarlet skeletal mesh with catwomen skin. The rigging is very rough and only replace color texture. Specs/pmap/norm texture still using Skarlet's. Give this a try if you are curious. Just backup your CHAR_Skarlet.xxx in asset folder and replace it with the one from here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/yhc5g ... k9_catw.7z

Catwoman mesh exported from raidergale's xnalara model:
http://raidergale.deviantart.com/art/MK ... -194298964

xXSimoTheBestXx
Mortal
Side: Light
XBox Live: xXSimoTheBestXx

Re: Character mesh mod test

Post by xXSimoTheBestXx »

Holy Bananas!
How did you did this? I've waited for this.. and finally we can change character's mesh? WOW!
Justinian
Apprentice

Post by Justinian »

I tried it, but my game crashes...
Would be nice to give this cat a try. ;)
I have great faith in fools; self confidence my friends call it. - Edgar Allan Poe
aman
Mortal

Post by aman »

I made a lot guesses of the mk9 skeletalmesh file format and created a Blender import/export script for it. I can replace character meshes and export them back. Only tried with Skarlet character and tested this with a plain vanilla Stream MK9 with no other mods. I am not surprise this crashes the game in other machines.
Zentsuken
Mortal

Post by Zentsuken »

aman, this is truly amazing. Literally thought we'd never see anything like this for MK9 :shock:. Literally speechless! Major, MAJOR props to you! Many folks I know from the MK9 scene would be absolutely thrilled to hear about this. I'll have to check this out when I get the chance, thanks again for proving this is possible and sharing with the community!

As you can tell, things have slowed down in the MK9 section but folks still sporadically check from time to time. I personally, prefer MK9 over MKX tenfold. So knowing this is possible really rekindled my spirits to go back to MK9.

I only have the vanilla pre-patched MK9 on my PC, since most of the prominent mods were for that version. But I'll definitely have to re-install the Steam version to check this out!

@Justinian: Which version of MK are you using? The Steam one or the vanilla (DVD) pre-patched MK9 version? This is probably why you are crashing.
HowardC
Mortal

Post by HowardC »

Instead of releasing this as a model swap it needs to be properly converted to work with the latest version of DLC manager with a diff file. Then it will work with all versions of MK9.

If you also post the unaltered version of scarlet for the version of the game you are running, I can do that for you.
aman
Mortal

Post by aman »

HowardC wrote:Instead of releasing this as a model swap it needs to be properly converted to work with the latest version of DLC manager with a diff file. Then it will work with all versions of MK9.

If you also post the unaltered version of scarlet for the version of the game you are running, I can do that for you.
Here is the original Skarlet file from my Stream MK9

http://www.mediafire.com/download/z1ulm ... .xxx.Steam
aman
Mortal

Post by aman »

@ Zentsuken : thanks and glad to hear people still interest in modding MK9. I think I learned enough of the skeletalmesh to export a usable mesh. But the result is far from reliable. MK9 character has lots of bones in the rig and pick a wrong bone for skinning will crash the game. Also , uModel pukes on the skeletalmesh I exported, hinted hidden problems. Also I don't know how to create normal and specs texture for MK9, Xnalara norm has a different hue (blue) compare to mk9(pink). I will worry about the texture later. Would like to see people other than me can play this mod.
HowardC
Mortal

Post by HowardC »

I will convert the character and release it sometime today thanks!

*edit* never mind this bit, I read what you said wrong.

The normal thing isn't as big a deal as you might think. In MK9 the red,blue,green and alpha channels are simply in a different order. So you open up photoshop or a similar editor and swap them out. I don't have my notes so I can't tell you the precise order, but it should be obvious if you open them up side by side.

Finally xnalara probably isn't the best source for the textures.... they are modified from the injustice textures, which are in the same format as MK9.

*edit*

The source code to umodel is available if that helps you.
HowardC
Mortal

Post by HowardC »

I diff and patched the character so it would work on my version. Aside from the glitches you already mentioned it seems to be ok so I'll make it into a full-fledged dlc character and release it this evening.
aman
Mortal

Post by aman »

HowardC wrote:I diff and patched the character so it would work on my version. Aside from the glitches you already mentioned it seems to be ok so I'll make it into a full-fledged dlc character and release it this evening.
I did not know umodel source was available :(. That may come in handy later.
Thanks for the confirmation of this mod working. I do think we should not treat this as a real mod. I did not rig the mesh in detail, cat woman face pop out in motion due to some vertices bind to Skarlet's pony tail bones. Also, i notice Mk9 characters contain internal parts, (damage limbs, fresh, organs and bones). I don't know how the game decide when these parts become visible, I simply just hide them inside the new character. And what will fatalities look like with the new character? I assume that came from a seperated SkeletonMesh? I am just happy to have new mesh with the normal moves.
HowardC
Mortal

Post by HowardC »

Well it's not that. We usually don't release character replacements anymore and instead add them as a dlc character. It's just cleaner that way.

Anyway, as promised:

https://www.mediafire.com/?zrssqp92yfzcb6g
HowardC
Mortal

Post by HowardC »

Just in case some people are out of the loop, here is the DLC manager 2.5, which is required to install.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zn5kp ... .5beta.rar
xXSimoTheBestXx
Mortal
XBox Live: xXSimoTheBestXx

Post by xXSimoTheBestXx »

Cool!
Can you make the beta alternative costume for skarlet working using the same way you did with this? The files are in the post "Skarlet's alt" in the requests page.
Justinian
Apprentice

Post by Justinian »

This is pretty cool. it works now. I see what you mean with the face popping out. It looks awesome though. fatalities are still somewhat awkward. :P

I'm just thinking here, but would it perhaps be possible to add alternate costumes as full DLC Characters then (hasn't worked for me yet)? Would it also be possible to add NPC's as DLC Characters on which you could do fatalities?

It's nice to see the recent activity in the forum.
I have great faith in fools; self confidence my friends call it. - Edgar Allan Poe

Return to “Mortal Kombat 9 PC Modding Tutorials and Discussions”