Mortal Kombat X Requires 1.8 GB Day-One Patch

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Mortal Kombat X Requires 1.8 GB Day-One Patch

Post by Gambid »

As the release of Mortal Kombat X nears, more and more people manage to get their hands on the game before the release. With all the spoilers coming our way, we do our best to shield ourselves and you from them. There is however information worth mentioning. Some of the people, who already have the game are reporting that the game requires a 1.8 GB Day-One patch. Here is also an image with the changes:
Mortal Kombat X Day One Patch
Not installing the patch will prevent you from playing the game online.

Visit our Mortal Kombat X section for all available Mortal Kombat X information. Want to talk about Mortal Kombat X, take a look at our Mortal Kombat X forum.

Did you like this update? Then follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Discord.

I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Roy Arkon
God
Side: Darkness
PSN: RoyArkon46

Re: Mortal Kombat X Requires 1.8 GB Day-One Patch

Post by Roy Arkon »

That's good I guess. People got the game before release date so now NRS already warns us that there is a patch needed if those people already saw some problems.
No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Each new game needs a day one patch. It's interesting that it is 1.8gb.
I Rule This World!

Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

Gambid wrote:Each new game needs a day one patch. It's interesting that it is 1.8gb.
I guess they've took that patch seriously, hence the size perhaps.

Speaking of patches, did anyone had a problem with installing the game? I saw a lot of people need to download the game in several parts from Steam due to some ridiculous new policy on Steam. I saw a couple of people having issues with install issues on PS4 but maybe that's because they needed the patch, thankdully the PS4 guys I saw have no issues now. I for one is gonna get the retail version, and maybe thosepeople had a problem because they've downloaded the game and not getting the retail version, I suppose.

And indeed there is a region lock on the PS4 version, but come to think of it I don't think it's an issue because when I've played MK9 on PS3 (and that was also region lock) I had so many people to face online regardless. I friend of mine said that he saw like over 500 people on online lobbies on his PS4 version. Also we need to take into account that there are some games the compnies don't want to be sold in too much of import sales. which is good because I think it's stupid that people in Europe trying to get the US version just to save a few bucks. And it's not greedy at all from neither Sony, NRS nor WB Games, but more of an keeping things in line and make sure everyone get their money. That sounds more logical to me.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

You think it's stupid? How so? What is stupid is getting less for more money, like the European Kollectors edition. It was imported in the US with additional Goro and Kombat Pack and was priced lower than in Europe where you get two skins instead of 5 fighters and dozens of skins.
I Rule This World!

Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

Gambid wrote:You think it's stupid? How so? What is stupid is getting less for more money, like the European Kollectors edition. It was imported in the US with additional Goro and Kombat Pack and was priced lower than in Europe where you get two skins instead of 5 fighters and dozens of skins.
I'm not saying that saving money is stupid, I mean that the process of getting imported versions of games, even if shopping sites allowing so, is stupid. As far as I know, in order to get a game that is associated with a certain region you need to have everything else associated with it. Which means you need that the TV and the console you use will also be associated with that region. I have a PAL TV, and just last week I've bought a PAL version of the PS4, and I've pre-ordered the European Kollector's edition (which contains the Kombat Pack, Goro, MKX comic, a card, and the regular Scorpion statue but still contains the golden Scorpion skin as well, which is good because I like the regular Scorpion statue more), which is of course the PAL version of the game. So if you wanna get the US version of the game you need that the TV and PS4 console will be NTSC as well, which I'm not sure that it is safe or easy to get and effectively operate in Europe to begin with. But even if you manage to do so, then you got the NTSC version of the game, and because that there are some retail companies outside of the US who work with WB games or Sony in order to distribute the non-NTSC copies of MKX and obviously don't want people not to buy the game from them (and I'm pretty sure that WB and/or Sony have a good reason to work with those companies) they region lock the game so people will buy the right version that is associated with their home region. But no, the players do all of this (supposedly) difficult process of operating a foreign PS4 gaming station at their home just to save money for the games they would buy (and already investing big chunks of money to get the NTSC TV and console from the get go) and then they get screwed because they wanted to save money in the long run, but now they won't be able to play online unless they are willing to suffer from lag issues. That is why Persona 4 was region locked, because of Arc System Works and/or Sony and/or the retail distribute companies won't have to suffer from too many importing sales.

I'm not sure who's exactly responsible for the request of region locking the game on the PS4, but I try to look for a logical reason and that's the best one I can find. And maybe I'm wrong regarding the whole NTSC thing or the game distribution companies, and you're welcome to explain to me why if I'm indeed wrong.

EDIT: Now I've got more info from the Israeli version of IGN about the Steam issues for the PC port. Steam now have a new downloading format in which they giving you the ability to install parts of the game so that the player will be able to experience some of the basic stuff of the game while the rest of the parts of the game are being installed in the background. Of course the plan was backfired for the PC players, maybe it's because that MKX was the first ever game to be distributed from Steam in this way and the process itself is bugged, not the game itself. It should be noted that the PS4 also has a similar process for downloaded games, but apparently it didn't had any problems like the PC version from Steam.

Return to “News Articles”