Mortal Kombat 2 Dos with Gravis Ultrasound

scorpion24
Mortal

Mortal Kombat 2 Dos with Gravis Ultrasound

Post by scorpion24 »

I have seen many videos of MK2 playing under dosbox and most people use the sound blaster sound card which just makes the midi sound horrid. This is my MK1 & MK2 Compilation Disk for dos running under dosbox with Gravis Ultrasound. You can clearly hear the difference. This to me is the best home arcade port unless your using MAME but that's not really a port. Also I will be more than happy to help anyone setup Gravis with dosbox if needed.

ded
God

Re: Mortal Kombat 2 Dos with Gravis Ultrasound

Post by ded »

i had difficulty to run gravis with dosbox, can you make one quick guide?
scorpion24
Mortal

Post by scorpion24 »

First you must go into the dosbox config file and enable Gus by changing false to true. Now you must install the Gus drivers in dosbox. To skip this step since it does take some time to gather all the files and install it correctly, I have already done so and uploaded the main files you will need.

Step 1: Download the Ultrasnd directory from here:
https://rapidshare.com/files/530418655/ULTRASND.zip

Step 2: Extract the ultrasnd directory to your mk2 dos directory. Or whatever folder you keep your mk2 files in. I keep mine in a directory named MK2 on my C:\ drive so I will be using that in this tut.

Step 3: Now open up dosbox. And type "mount c c:\mk2" then hit enter. Then of course type "c:" to change to the C:\ directory in dosbox. Now type in "cd c:\ultrasnd" then press enter. It should now say you are in c:\Ultrasnd. Now it's time to run the Gus driver simply type in "Ultramid.exe" and press enter. You should see a line of text letting you know it is running. Now you must switch back to the c:\ directory do this by typing "cd c:\ " and press enter. Now run MK2.exe and once in game press F10 change your sound card to "Gravis Ultrasound" Now set the port address DMA and IRQ.

Port Address: 240
IRQ: 5
DMA Channel: 3

Then save and that should do it. You might want to turn off the sound blaster card in the dosbox config as well as it is known to conflict with the GUS midi. I have never had that problem but I see it an issue for some. Also if you are using a cd version of MK2 don't forget to mount the img with the imgmount command. This is an example how my Dosbox config file looks to auto start the game on dosbox start up.

imgmount d c:\mk\mk1&2.iso -t iso -fs iso
mount c c:\mk2
c:\
cd ULTRASND
ultramid.exe
cd c:\
mk2.exe
Gsomeer
Warrior

Post by Gsomeer »

I don't see any reason to do so much work to play some home port, even the best. I can play original version with MAME and Arcade Kollection on Xbox.
scorpion24
Mortal

Post by scorpion24 »

It's not a lot of work just looks that way. The dos version was slightly faster than the Arcade pcb. And I play the mame version as well on my original xbox from time to time. Dosbox is for us older guys I guess.
Gsomeer
Warrior

Post by Gsomeer »

No, no, no, you missed the point, I meant, if it had been less difficult to set, this would be great. I don't mind this version.
scorpion24
Mortal

Post by scorpion24 »

It's not really that much to do just looks like a lot. Basically you just drop the folder in the directory and run the ultramid then run the game. If you put the command at the bottom of the dosbox config file then you only have to do it once.
ded
God

Post by ded »

i will try that, thanks! also, pc mk2 has some weird gameplay issues too - the most noticeable example is the infinite traps in corner with elbows (close HP) for most characters.

of course nothing beats the arcade ports (except mk3 dos lol), but the only legit home ports of the 2d classics are the pc versions for me ;]

maybe a gameplay thread for each version would be a good idea for a sticky
scorpion24
Mortal

Post by scorpion24 »

Rayden caught me with a infinite round house kick in the corner last night on ms dos. I couldn't help but laugh he did like 4 round house kicks then ended it with a side kick making it a 5 hit juggle.
Gsomeer
Warrior

Post by Gsomeer »

I hate when somebody calls Raiden Rayden.
scorpion24
Mortal

Post by scorpion24 »

Well I am referring to the dos version here bud. And that is how his name is spelled in the dos version. It was spelled like that on MK1 and MK2 for dos. That's one of the few ways other than sound you can tell the game apart. I'm sure Ded understands what I am talking about. Being 30 and having 20 years of MK under my belt I'm sure I know how his name is suppose to be spelled. It was also spelled this way on the home ports for console see the Sega genesis version. It was changed to Rayden then so there would be no confusion with "Raiden" from Fatal fury at the time. Though his name was spelled Raiden in the arcade for dos and other console ports it was spelled Rayden. It was done like this up until MK4. Like I said I know his name is Spelled Raiden that's how it was meant to be. But referring to the dos version it was Rayden.
Masterski
Mortal

Post by Masterski »

scorpion24 wrote:Well I am...
...was Rayden.
Very interesting info, thanks. :)
Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

This might come as a shock to some people, but can someone enlighten me. What is gravis and what is the exact difference between it and the midi audio?

I started on Genesis and the PC versions of MK1 and MKII were never my strong side.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Quan-Tile
Mortal
PSN: 2

Post by Quan-Tile »

Oh no! there's no file "ultrasnd" zip on that link. plz reshare it .
Gambid
Elder God
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

Try sending a private message to scorpion24. May be he can attach the files to the post, this way, they will always be available.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster

Return to “Mortal Kombat II”