MK9 Strategies: Scorpion

The Reptile
Warrior

MK9 Strategies: Scorpion

Post by The Reptile »

1-FP 2-BP 3-FK 4-BK
D-Down U-Up B-Back F-Forward NJP-Neutral Jump Punch

Scorpion could be described as an aggressive type, and is ideal for beginners but with the more experienced; he is a lethal force that should be carefully fought.
The hell raising spectre has a small arsenal of moves, yet he is one of the easiest characters to use and that makes him ideal and popular.
Spear: Klassic, useful and simple. This cool move throws a roped kunai at the opponent, and reels them in. It is normally safe from afar, however if used close and blocked: it is easily punishable. It can also hit opponents in the air if timed right, just throw it as they're coming down or if you can time it right; use it when they just jump. It's an ideal move for kombos as well, as it can be used in the midst of most kombos and is ideal for any kombo afterwards as it stuns them, allowing for a bit of time to attack. The enhanced version allows for two fiery 'spears' to be thrown, and they will cause more damage as well as give you an armour effect.

Teleport: A useful move in getting behind an opponent, and best used when enemy is vulnerable. If blocked though, it's easily punishable. There are few kombos that can link into this move but it's useful when they do. However, the move itself cannot link into any kombos after so it would be wise to jump away or see later on for more tricks..
The enhanced version doesn't do much except add another hit which isn't useful unless in a corner where you'll gain a chance to juggle them. If blocked with this, then you'll get a frame advantage. The other useful thing of this move is it's aerial ability: in other words, being able to execute the move in air. This can be useful in a lot of situations;
1. Being able to confuse your opponent, and sometimes they may attack instead.
2. Escaping your enemy, if you're jumping towards your enemy and they're about to respond with an uppercut or sorts, then teleporting can be useful.
3. If they're advancing towards you then teleporting may be useful as well.

Hellfire: This move is good for a nice number of uses. It's unblockable and ideal for any blockers. It's not limited, as it'll track your opponent. It's unexpected.
This move is useful, so having trouble with any blockers can be sorted easily. It can only be jumped and the enhanced version allows for a bigger use and limited escape.
However, the recovery of the hellfire is slow if the enemy dodges and they can easily attack with a kombo. It should only be used when the opponent least suspects it, such as when they're standing for a while or turtling.

Leg Take Down: This move is deemed unsafe but is useful. High blockers can be taken down and used in a kombo: let's say it's good. The enhanced version isn't recommended, as it's only more damaging and as unsafe. If blocked, the move can be punished. But this move is unexpected and is good to use after high kombos.

Air Throw: I hadn't noticed until much later of this move. Nevertheless, it's quite useful and a good air counter move and more reliable than the air teleport. It does satisfactory damage and is good in a few kombos, however DO NOT use this move foolishly: as using it when the enemy is not in your grasp will allow in the air throw animation still carrying on and you are left vulnerable.

Okay, now that the moves have been explained; here's a few kombos:
111: a useful simple kombo which most moves can be added in, but only afet 1 or 11. Not 111 or the kombo will only end there. 11 Spear is quite useful.

21: A lucky move, as it can link into a spear. Also, if blocked, it's safe and a safe retreat is possible. On hit, Scorps has advantage and can pressure on.

F2 1: This kombo can be used for safe jump.

F2 1 4: A popular move in which he flip kicks at the end and causes a useful amount of damage.

33: The fastest little kombo of Scorps, this can link into moves and is safe on block. Also, if you hit, you can pressure on.

334: Same as above but knocks enemy down. Safe on block as well.

B2: This launches the enemy into the air, perfect for an air throw or for kombos. Punishable if blocked but can hit low if they block high.

1 1+2: This move will allow for a juggle opportunity and will thrash their low blocks as the second hit is an overhead launcher. If blocked however, it is punishable.

F4: Low kick that can be linked to spear. Safe if blocked.

F43: This kombo will allow for a safe jump. The second hit will miss upon any crouchers and therefore becomes punishable.

F3: Safe overhead kick which allows a safe jump.

These are just a few useful kombos. Here are a few mixups that I like to peform:
Teleport Hellfire: After teleporting, peform hellfire as they will most likely try to block any hits that you throw after.

Teleport, leg take down: not entirlely reliable, but useful.

B2 Air throw: after launching them, jump after them and throw them to the ground.

Here are some useful tactics that will help:
After peforming the F1+2, teleport punch for a link.

Teleport punch is invincible as a wake up attack.

Here are some standard kombos:
1: 1,1, spear, jumpF punch, 21, Enhanced teleport, 21, 21, U3, Air Throw.

2: 21+2, teleport, dash 21, dash 21, spear, jump in punch, F1+2, teleport.

3: 21 or 11, spear, NJP, dash, B2, jump kick teleport punch, dash, 334, Enhanced hellfire or jump kick air throw.

Try experiment with some kombos of your own and don't be afraid to show your true skills off. Scorpion will make you win if you show the potential to use him, and don't do what the noobs do: don't keep teleporting, don't always use spear if you know they'll block. Be cautious and be relaxed and firm, then give them a toasty recipe and remember to take the advice here. Make up strategies for yourself and see what can make you good, just remember: practise makes perfect so practise any of these moves first before deciding to go online. Good luck and I hoped this helped :D

Next Strategy: Smoke coming soon..
Also, Basic Strategies are coming as well, to give a lowdown of the basics of beating an enemy.
Also, an Enemy Strategy guide coming as well, not to help with the character but for help to beat the characters. :)

I am Reptile! And I do not answer to you! Fight!

Image Image
s-z22
Apprentice
Side: Light
XBox Live: DesolateRhyme4

Re: MK9 Strategies: Scorpion

Post by s-z22 »

Thanks for putting up these guides. I'm sure they'll help a lot of people.
Gambid
Elder God
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

So do I.

I was thinking that may be they should be put in a single thread. How many are you planning to do?
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
The Reptile
Warrior

Post by The Reptile »

I'll probably do two more, depending. I was thinking of Smoke and Ermac next. If I put them into a single thread, then I don't think people would be able to access them easier. Perhaps you could put them on the front page or something? Just so people could see it easier and it wouldn't take so much room on the MK9 Forum.

Image Image
Gambid
Elder God
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

I have this plan about the User's submitted strategies info page as part of the MK9 section. Let's just hope I will have the time to do it soon.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
The Reptile
Warrior

Post by The Reptile »

Alright, that should work then :)

Image Image
s-z22
Apprentice

Post by s-z22 »

Putting it on the front page would definitely help because it might give other users inspiration to put up their own guides for other characters. Or even put their own thoughts into the ones already put up. The only one I'm really good with is Sub-Zero, and Scorpion's my second choice. So I wouldn't be able to put up any guides although I might be able to contribute to those two characters.
s-z22
Apprentice

Post by s-z22 »

Here's a good X-ray combo with Scorpion:
B2, B2, 1, 1, 1, Spear, F2, 1, X-ray. You can try to get in a Teleport Punch after 1, 1, 1, and then go for a Spear, but that's up to you. And then right after the combo, do a Hellfire for a bit of extra damage. It's not part of the combo, and it can be avoided if they're quick, but you should always do it anyway. I don't know any other good X-ray combos with Scorpion, but their is one other useful fact you should know. Don't use the Spear twice in the same combo or it won't work. They'll be brought to you but it will end whatever combo you're doing. And depending on how quick you are, and how high in the air they are, you might be able to hit the Teleport Punch twice in the same combo.
The Reptile
Warrior

Post by The Reptile »

nice, that's a useful piece of info. Thanks again :)

Image Image
s-z22
Apprentice

Post by s-z22 »

I like to help out people when I can. You put up some good basic combos, so I didn't need to put up more combos and that's the best I can do with an X-ray combo. If there's a topic where I can help I do, but I won't be able to help in any future ones. And you're welcome.
mk master 365
Grand Master
Side: Darkness
PSN: w2gMk

Post by mk master 365 »

my friends told me scorpion was easy to use but i havnt belived them til i readed this....

P.S. do you have plans for the tag team play? like putting a pop up character in with a long combo(but no pop ups) character?
▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀
The Reptile
Warrior

Post by The Reptile »

Well I was thinking of putting some of those tactics in. I'll try and edit them when I have time, but feel free to add some info if you wish. :)

Image Image
s-z22
Apprentice

Post by s-z22 »

This will be for your tag combo information. Remember, Dash is when you press forward twice very quickly. You need to do them in the combos listed below or you won't hit them.
These are for Scorpion and Liu Kang:

Start with Scorpion, then jump in with 2, F2, 1, Spear, F2, 1, tag, 1, 1, X-ray, Bicycle Kick (49%).

Start with Scorpion, then jump in with 2, F2, 1, Spear, F2, 1, tag, 1, 1, X-ray, Dash, 1, 1, High Fireball or Flying Kick(48%).

Start with Scorpion, then jump in with 2, 1, 1, Spear, F2, 1, tag, 1, 1, X-ray, Bicycle Kick(49%)

Start with Scorpion, then jump in with 2, 1, 1, Spear, F2, 1, tag, 1, 1, X-ray, Dash, 1, 1, High Fireball or Flying Kick(47%)

Start with Liu Kang, then Jump in with 2, 2, 1, 3, tag, 1, 1, 1, Teleport Punch, Spear, F2, 1, X-ray(45%).

Start with Liu Kang, then Jump in with 2, 1, 2, B1, tag, dash, 1, 1, 1, Teleport Punch, Spear, F2, 1, X-Ray (46%).

I'll try to see if I can get a 50% or more with other characters, or see if I can pull off a bigger combo after Liu's X-ray. I'm also going to try for some non X-ray tag combos.
mk master 365
Grand Master
Side: Darkness
PSN: w2gMk

Post by mk master 365 »

the teloport is good for when suby makes an ice clone while your jumping towards it...
▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀
ded
God

Post by ded »

Good stuff! Few more things you may add are the parry moves, whiffed ones, mixups, free hellfire + the ex one, counters and the defensive game, since scorpion is somehow slow character with mostly high useful attacks.

Take a look at shoryuken's mk9 guide and/or TYM, since I have not played MK9 that much, and learned only Scorpion, Lao and Liu Kang.

Return to “Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)”