MK9 Strategies: Sub-Zero

The Reptile
Warrior

MK9 Strategies: Sub-Zero

Post by The Reptile »

D-Down F-Forward U-Up B-Backward
1-FP 2-BP 3-FK 4-BK NJP-Neautral Jump

Hi guys, this is another strategy for Sub-Zero, it won't be as accomplished as Reptile's but i'll add on it as i improve with the cryomancer. Hope it helps:

From first impressions, i've found Subs to be a more turtle type power character. More of a defence type of guy, in the fact his attacks tend to defend and zone the character back. His freeze is incredibly useful into starting a kombo, and many of his moves tend to be for defensive maneuvers.
Freeze Ball: A good useful move which freezes the opponent, and can lead up to kombos making it an all useful move. It can be blocked and avoided but it's enhanced version bans their escape, as their jumping won't work.
Ice Puddle: This can be useful in many cases but is slow to get out. If an opponent is jumping towards you or etc. Then this move will stick them on their tracks, and is useful for leading to your kombos. It can be more useful than the freeze ball in terms of kombos, whereas the kombos aren't limited. Eg. if you froze someone with the ball did the kombo; 121, then they wouldn't stay frozen and instead smash away. With the puddle though, they would instead stay frozen as the puddle doesn't count as a hit. It's also useful against the blockers, as shoving a puddle under their feet will give them second thoughts about blocking.
Ice Clone: A useful defence, in the fact that any opponent that touches it will immediately become frozen. This is useful when some enemy is jumping towards you or you're in a tight corner, and you want a bit of space. Even better though is the fact that it can be peformed in the air, and any jumpers or rushers will feel a bit chilly. It's good to use in kombos as well, allowing for a wider use.
Ice Slide: Useful for reasons, as a standing blocker will be swept of their feet, but very punishable if blocked. When compared to Reptile's slide, it is very sluggish and has slower recovery, not making it a move of choice. However, it does make it a move of choice in kombos, allowing for a good finisher. It's enhanced version can allow for an interesting choice of mixups. See more later..

Sub-Zero would count as a defensive type, in contrast to Scorpion who is more aggresive and Reptile who is fast and balanced.
Subs can add to a large selection of kombos and mixups, making him a good choice for beginners, yet excellent in the right hands. It would be best to be calm when playing Subs, as you should with any character. But you should wait patiently before attempting to make sudden moves, and bide their foolish rushes. If they try to zone you, then don't turtle, but go on the aggresive then and respond with a freeze ball if possible. If they get close and personal, then spring a few kombos on their, or ice clone and freeze their ass. If they try to jump advance you then respond with a puddle and advance a kombo. If you want some kombos, then here's a few. otherwise, you can also search Hood Fresh on youtube who has some powerful ones.
121: this will freeze them in the end.
222: a standard kombo using his kori blade, and can be used for effect.
Ice clone, enhanced slide: This sends a clone, then using the enhanced slide will knock them into the clone, issuing for a wider arrange of kombos.
121, 33 Freeze then slide: That may or may not work, as it may be a bit off. Sorry if it's wrong.

There's many more kombos, but just experiment.

A useful move i have seen is B2 which at first seems like 2 palms hitting. But hold it and it become an unblockable freeze and though it takes a while to charge, that's all the time you need. For one, peforming this move will confuse your opponent more than once in the fact that they will think you are going to do a normal hit and they'll block, then freeze. It's block-breaker ability will ensure your success more than once, so don't underestimate this simple move which is also useful in kombos. But don't overestimate it either, as though it will fool noobs and beginners, the more expierenced players will soon see past the con and will often respond with their own attack. So don't use it too much, and use it when appropriate.

Also, the ice clone is useful for stopping any advancers, and i mean fast ones. Try for Raiden with his Superman move, or Kabal's dash: getting tired of noobs constantly using them? Put a clone in their way and they'll soon regret it, and respond with a nice kombo that will really shake their boots.

The puddle can be used in kombos as well, leading for a second kombo. Use one nice kombo then stick a puddle for finsih, they'll get stuck. Respond with a second kombo which will really give them impact.

The freeze ball isn't really useful for zoning, but opponents will want to keep away. One good thing is a second hit of the freeze, which actually damages them instead of freezing yourself. Freezing them in a funny reaction can be amusing and humiliating for them as well, then pondering on what to do next is always nice.

Sliding can be useful too, such as when a noob wants to keep blocking high, and you hit low. Kombos finish nicely with it as well, tand getting someone stuck up against a wall will hurt pretty bad. It's range is quite far as well which can be useful at the end of a kombo when you use it too early. It can be really punishable as well though, and is quite unsafe so be careful.

More notes may be coming soon, and I haven't discovered a 50% kombo with no x-rays yet, but i'll let you know if i do. If you wish to post any kombos or facts, then feel free to do so. Hope it helps :D

I am Reptile! And I do not answer to you! Fight!

Image Image
Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Re: MK9 Strategies: Sub-Zero

Post by Gambid »

One more to pin. Nice work.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
The Reptile
Warrior

Post by The Reptile »

Thanks sir, I'll be doing Scorpion next :)

Image Image
s-z22
Apprentice
XBox Live: DesolateRhyme4

Post by s-z22 »

Here's some powerful corner X-ray combos:
2, 1, 4, freeze, 2, 1, 4 X-ray. Does 50% damage and has gotten me out of a few tight corners.
Back+1, 2, freeze, NJP+2 (so they pop up in the air), NJP+2, back+1, 2, 2, 1, 2, X-ray 54% (I think). Charge back+2 so they get frozen, back+1, 2, 2, 1, 4, X-ray. I can't remember how much damage it does but it gets you in the high 40's at least. You can also get an extra hit for the first two combos in if you jump in with 2. And unlike Cage, Kung Lao, or Liu Kang his X-ray isn't a pop up attack.

The most basic set ups for combos you can use are 2, 2, 4; back+1, 2, freeze; 2, 1, 2, freeze; charge back+2. If you want to do the back+1, 2 combo after charging back+2, make sure the first hit misses, and then the second part hits. Like he said, you should use a slide at the end of a combo for an extra hit.
Enhanced Ground Freeze's can also be used as resets for combos if the opponent is frozen in the air. Although the biggest combo you can do after that is 2, 2, 4. I don't think you'll even be able to get a slide in, although you can try.
The Reptile
Warrior

Post by The Reptile »

Thanks, that should be more helpful now :)

Image Image
s-z22
Apprentice

Post by s-z22 »

Your welcome. I figured if you make a guide with my best character I should help out with it. You put good techniques on how to use special moves, and their strengths and weaknesses, so I thought I could contribute with some combos I know. And i have some more things to add to it.
If you hold down the triggers that you use to do an X-ray, he doesn't use it right off. However, it doesn't do any extra damage if you hold the X-ray off. It can throw off your opponent though which is always a good thing, although I usually only do an X-ray if I'm desperate or I'm doing an X-ray combo. But with any character, breakers can be more valuable than an X-ray can be, so saving up for an X-ray sometimes isn't as good an idea. If you watched the EVO tournament you'll see that X-rays were rarely used, and that they used breakers instead. And finally when you want to put an enemy into an Ice Clone with the Enhanced Slide, make sure the clone is in the air, and they aren't too close to the clone. If I think of anything else, I'll tell you.
The Reptile
Warrior

Post by The Reptile »

Thanks again, I knew about the x-ray but forgot. But yeah, a breaker or an enhanced can change the outcome of a match and give the edge you need. I was going to put that in a basic tactics guide :)

Image Image
s-z22
Apprentice

Post by s-z22 »

Glad I could help. If you're doing a basic tactics guide as well, then I don't know if I'd be able to contribute more than I already have. It depends on what you put in there. For my posts on this I think you should put the part of my basic combos and you said you were already going to put the Enhanced combo parts. And I can think of one other thing to contribute to that guide, and this one: since Sub-Zero doesn't have a teleport, don't get backed up into a corner unless you're sure you can flip out of it, and then do corner combos on them. Or you can use Ice Clone as a temporary defense. Either way try to make it so they're backed into it, not you. Well, I think that's it for me on this guide. I don't think I'll be able to contribute on your Ermac, Reptile, or Smoke guide though.
The Reptile
Warrior

Post by The Reptile »

that's good enough, any other characters you think you'd be good on? I was thinking of doing more, but i don't want the Mk9 page full of stickied Strategies (although it would be nice ;), so i was thinking of maybe doing one more. Perhaps Kabal?

Image Image
s-z22
Apprentice

Post by s-z22 »

No, like I said Scorpion and Sub-Zero are my mains. I could put in a couple of tips with Liu Kang, but aside from that, no. Although I have accounts on other sites that I could make a couple of topics for. I'm sure I'd get some answers that could help with a guide of whomever you want to do next. That and I have a friend on X-box LIVE who might be able to help, although I'm not sure how well he would be able to help. Still, if you want my help on something just ask, and I'll do what I can. And I'm glad that you appreciated my help on this guide too.
mk master 365
Grand Master
Side: Darkness
PSN: w2gMk

Post by mk master 365 »

great job with the things man....

p.s. i wonder if you could make a krypt guide for all the fatality codes and important stuff like that...
▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀
s-z22
Apprentice

Post by s-z22 »

That should already be on the site. Here's the link to the Special Moves and Finishers: http://www.mksecrets.net/index.php?sect ... entID=4796

And for the online codes and Krypt guide go here: http://www.mksecrets.net/index.php?sect ... entID=4836
The Reptile
Warrior

Post by The Reptile »

Thanks mk master. And yeah, they're already on this site. I'm in the middle of making basics and techniques though for people that have trouble, as I'll list how they all will work best and that the simplest tactics can be the most effective.

Image Image
s-z22
Apprentice

Post by s-z22 »

From what I've seen so far I know it will be a big help to the MK community. And like I said earlier, if you want I'll help you with it. I'm pretty good with Sub-Zero in this game, and I like your guides. They're very useful.
Gambid
Elder God
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

Happy to see these topics getting the attention they deserve. I am really busy these days, but I will really try to expand the Mortal Kombat 9 Section to include links to the most interesting and useful topics of these forums.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster

Return to “Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)”