Tutorial: Load/Dump Textures using Gamecube/Wii emulator

wiggo
Mortal

Tutorial: Load/Dump Textures using Gamecube/Wii emulator

Post by wiggo »

This tutorial will explain how to dump original game textures and load your edited ones.

So, things you will need is:
1. Gamecube/Wii emulator Dolphin. The newest version is v3.0. You can download it from here:
http://dolphin-emu.googlecode.com/files ... -win32.exe
Please note that dumping/loading textures option is not working on newer emulator builds.
2. Your game.

**I won't get into the details on how to run game or change controls. There are plenty explanations on the web about that.**

***DUMPING***

STEP 1.
Run your game. The easiest way to do this is to open your game's ISO through File/Open.

STEP 2.
Go to Options/Graphic Settings. Select "Advanced" tab, tick "Dump Textures" and close.

At this point of the game emulator will start dumping textures that are presently using. So if you're in fighter selection selection window it will export everything related to that (avatar pictures, backgrounds) but not fighter or arena textures. So if you want to get fighter textures you must select the fighter you want and start the match. You can turn on/off this feature at any time of the game.

STEP 3.
So, as soon as your textures are getting dumped go to ~your emulator location/User/Dump/Textures. Initially this folder is empty but after dumping the textures there will be created a folder according to game (and it's region PAL/NTSC/JAP) in coded name (in my case it was GMKD5D). It will look something like this:

***LOADING***

STEP 1.
So, let's take any texture (ie.: I'll take Scorpions costume). Modify it in any way you wish (you can even increase texture size) and save it as PNG with the same name you picked.

STEP 2.
In ~your emulator location/User/Load/Textures create a folder with the same as was in dumped textures (in my case it was GMKD5D). Place your modified texture in it.

STEP 3.
Go to Options/Graphic Settings. Select "Advanced" tab, tick "Load Custom Textures" and close.
You can turn on/off this feature at any time of the game.

So, I changed Scorpion's costume color:

Attachments
3.png
2.jpg
1.jpg
Last edited by wiggo on Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Re: Tutorial: Load/Dump Textures using Gamecube/Wii emulato

Post by Gambid »

This is really nicely writter, great job. I am going to create a forum about modding MKDA and MKD using this technique. Could you please attach the images to the post as well. Is it possible to replace Armageddon textures?
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
wiggo
Mortal

Post by wiggo »

The same method works for every Gamecube/Wii game that can be emulated on Dolphin. When I wrote this tutorial I haven't tested Wii's Armageddon on Dolphin. It appears to be that it works much better than Deception and Deadly Alliance and it is also modable. So I don't think we should stuck with Deception or DA - Armaggedon is much better (better emulation, better graphics, many characters).

I will post a some sort of tutorial on how to run Armageddon because it needs a little more preparation than Gamecube games. Oh, and I will attach these images.
Last edited by wiggo on Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

That's good news. Thanks.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Noob Cyborg
Immortal

Post by Noob Cyborg »

"I am Goro! General to the armies of Outworld and Prince to the subterrianian realm of Shokahn..."ImageImage
joven1
Immortal
PSN: joven4516

Post by joven1 »

Noob Cyborg wrote:Image
Wow! Master Noob did you do this Klassic Skin for MKA? Great i bow to you,
Noob Cyborg
Immortal

Post by Noob Cyborg »

joven1 wrote: Wow! Master Noob did you do this Klassic Skin for MKA? Great i bow to you,
No, i want to know who is the autor of this mod.
"I am Goro! General to the armies of Outworld and Prince to the subterrianian realm of Shokahn..."ImageImage
Tnum_Modder
Warrior

Re: Tutorial: Load/Dump Textures using Gamecube/Wii emulator

Post by Tnum_Modder »

wiggo wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:31 pm This tutorial will explain how to dump original game textures and load your edited ones.

So, things you will need is:
1. Gamecube/Wii emulator Dolphin. The newest version is v3.0. You can download it from here:
http://dolphin-emu.googlecode.com/files ... -win32.exe
Please note that dumping/loading textures option is not working on newer emulator builds.
2. Your game.

**I won't get into the details on how to run game or change controls. There are plenty explanations on the web about that.**

***DUMPING***

STEP 1.
Run your game. The easiest way to do this is to open your game's ISO through File/Open.

STEP 2.
Go to Options/Graphic Settings. Select "Advanced" tab, tick "Dump Textures" and close.

At this point of the game emulator will start dumping textures that are presently using. So if you're in fighter selection selection window it will export everything related to that (avatar pictures, backgrounds) but not fighter or arena textures. So if you want to get fighter textures you must select the fighter you want and start the match. You can turn on/off this feature at any time of the game.

STEP 3.
So, as soon as your textures are getting dumped go to ~your emulator location/User/Dump/Textures. Initially this folder is empty but after dumping the textures there will be created a folder according to game (and it's region PAL/NTSC/JAP) in coded name (in my case it was GMKD5D). It will look something like this:

***LOADING***

STEP 1.
So, let's take any texture (ie.: I'll take Scorpions costume). Modify it in any way you wish (you can even increase texture size) and save it as PNG with the same name you picked.

STEP 2.
In ~your emulator location/User/Load/Textures create a folder with the same as was in dumped textures (in my case it was GMKD5D). Place your modified texture in it.

STEP 3.
Go to Options/Graphic Settings. Select "Advanced" tab, tick "Load Custom Textures" and close.
You can turn on/off this feature at any time of the game.

So, I changed Scorpion's costume color:

Great tutorial😁 I've already made some mods on MkA maybe I'll make more Skins, but my fixed point of mods is Mksm I still have a lot of skins to release for the Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks game
My YouTube channel
https://youtube.com/@TnumModder
Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks Texturing Community Founder

Return to “Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance|Deception|Armageddon Modding”