Failproof Strategies for Story & Tower #185,251,269,275,300

Nomercy85
Mortal

Failproof Strategies for Story & Tower #185,251,269,275,300

Post by Nomercy85 »

Consider this your one stop guide to everything that I found the most challenging in Mortal Kombat. I have completed both the Story Mode and Challenge Tower to 100% and can provide help on any challenge. If you need help with anything feel free to leave a message below or here: http://www.gameinformer.com/members/nom ... fault.aspx

Story Mode Tips and Strategies

1. As Liu Kang vs Shao Kahn back up so he does taunts and throws projectiles. He's always open for free hits when he's taunting. Make sure you duck all of the spears he throws at you or you can interrupt them with a fireball if you are fast enough, but be sure to jump over the hammers he throws at you because they stun you.

2. As Cyber Subzero vs Goro and Kintaro 1v2 all you have to do is mash square. It's that easy. I nearly got a flawless victory on them. lol.

3. As Raiden in the Netherrealm when you have to fight 1v3 with no replenishing health just spam the combo forward triange, backward square, square+triangle and of course use your xray attack when its available because after you kill one of them off you lose your meter. This worked great on the majority of them. I believe i mixed it up and used the back, forward, x move and spammed throw afterwards against Kunglao and Kitana though because it worked better. You have to be very fast.

4. As Raiden vs Shao Kahn you need to play super defensively and stay on your toes. Use teleport as he begins to attack you, but don't use it too early or you will teleport into his attack. Hit him with circle and get ready to teleport again.

If you want to try getting a combo in, you can try teleport, forward triangle, circle combo which will knock him to the ground.You would teleport the second you see him getting up off the ground if you did it this way. I think its easier to just hit him with circle and focus on avoiding his attacks though.

Flawless Victory on Goro with any character!

You want to jump over his head and immediately uppercut him in the back when you land. If you take too long to attack after you land, he will interrupt your attack and you will get destroyed. You need to begin the attack the very second you hit the ground. You can do specific combos for more damage but only certain combos will work. Never try and flat out attacking him while he is facing you, but you can attack him from his front side if you jumped over from his back side when he is doing a ground pound. Double dash up to him within grabbing distance whenever he does his 2 punch combo and goes across the screen. His attacks are so slow that he will never hit you if you follow the pattern and keep jumping over him.

This strategy will help you a ton on tower challenge #185 where you have to fight Sheeva, Goro and Kintaro back to back. Against Kintaro remember to jump and attack when he does his teleport stomp to avoid getting hit. I made it easier by saving my X-ray meter the whole time until I reached Kintaro because Goro and Sheeva are easy. Against Sheeva just get in close and use any of your specials because her moves are a lot slower than Baraka's so you can pretty much just spam something like down forward square and you'll only ever get hit by like a sweeping kick.

This strategy will also DESTROY challenge #275 where you have to fight 3 Goros back to back with 1 health bar that doesn't refill. Just do not get lazy. Always double dash right into his face, flip over and uppercut him in the back. There is very little room for error or slowness, but it's easy enough if you use this strategy.

Tshang Tsung vs Shao Khan (Challenge #250&251)

I found it easiest to keep a full screen distance away from Shao Kahn and just repeatedly hit him with the skull projectile (back, back, square) The attack he does seems to be based off his distance away from you. He will be more likely to throw a few hammers that you can jump over if he is close to the edge of his side of the screen. Just keep shooting skulls make sure to upgrade your skull projectile whenever you have enough xray meter built up. It will shoot off 3 skulls instead of one which can really help knock him back.

Both Baraka and Sindel are pushovers with this strategy especially if you use Soul Capture (forward, down, back, X + R2) at the beginning of the match to do extra damage. The move has a lot of range and if they block it then you get a lot of extra meter. Against Shao Kahn i'd just focus on keeping him on his edge of the screen though.

Stryker vs Shao Kahn x 3 (Challenge #269)

This is actually a really easy challenge. Start off the match by spamming the move Roll Toss (back, forward, circle). You can usually repeat it if he blocks it the first time. This will create a good distance between you and Shao Kahn to spam Gun Shot (back, forward, square) which will interrupt Kahn's moves and knock him back. The only move it does not interrupt is his hammer toss so make sure you jump straight up over every hammer or you're screwed.

Save your X-ray meter for the 2nd Kahn that jumps on the screen and use it immediately because he will always pop on the screen right next to you. Repeat the strategy above. If Kahn ever gets too close to you use the Roll Toss move again to create some distance again. Also if you happen to have full X-ray meter and he blocks your Roll Toss, then that's a perfect time to use your X-ray move (which will even counter Shao Kahn's X-ray if you happen to do them at the same time). If you don't have any meter when the 3rd Kahn pops up then be ready to spam Roll Toss to give yourself some room again.

FAILPROOF ENDGAME Strategy (Challenge #300)

I chose to use Liu Kang. It is possible to get a flawless victory on all 4 fights using this strategy.

As a warning for all the opponents you face, I believe they get a brief immunity whenever they are granted a buff. The best buffs for them to get are increased damage because you're not going to get hit and no blocking because you don't need to block. They can also get regeneration and a debuff can be placed on your own character causing you to do less damage. These are the worst because they drag the fight on and you want to end them as fast as possible. Only 1 buff will be in place at any time. You will notice they get a buff when their character flashes gold or when your character flashes red. It would be smart not to attack them during this time because an uppercut won't knock them back and they will interrupt your combo without a breaker even if you did it fast enough. So if you see either character flash do not begin a melee attack on them! Reset by jumping back or jumping over them again in the case of Goro. Sometimes you get unlucky and it'll happen mid attack. That sucks.

Vs Goro: Same strategy as above for the flawless Goro kills. Keep jumping over his head. Also if you see him start to do the ground pound, jump infront of him a second time to avoid the ground damage. Instead of just using uppercut after i jumped over him, I found it was more advantageous to use the combo Lotus Furry (x, x, circle). You can follow this up with a low fireball while he's on the ground and pull it off, but i think it's easier to use that time to dash towards him instead. The time it takes to do the fireball while he's on the ground is enough sometimes to put you at risk of getting hit by his x-ray or fireballs when he recovers. The combo alone still does more damage than an uppercut.

I'm sure there are other combos that could be used with other characters as well, but you have to make sure it A.) does more damage than the uppercut and B.) cannot be interrupted mid combo. It just needs to be something that sends them to kiss the ground consistently. Raiden's combo Sudden Energy (triangle, triangle, forward+square) is another example of a good combo to use. It is essential that you do the combo as soon as you land on the ground after jumping over him otherwise it'll get interrupted and you will get smacked! You cannot be slow.

Sometimes you may just want to use the uppercut for its speed though. You need to use your judgement. For example if he does his 2 punch combo and you double dash after him that's when i would use the uppercut instead of the combo. But if he is taunting or doing an uppercut while you jump over him then he is in what i like to refer to as "Komboland" and you should take him for a ride.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR XRAY METER ON GORO.

Vs Kintaro: Immediately spam your X-ray as the fight begins and it will connect. After the xray move, it will place you around jumping distance away from him.You should be doing fast low fireballs at this time. In terms of speed, you should be inputting the buttons for the next fireball right when the first one hits him. But have some balls and don't do them nervously or randomly because you need to be reacting to his movements more than anything. This is a 4 fighter endurance challenge so don't forget that.

I don't believe you need to move from the initial position it places you in because he will typically do a teleport after you've gotten off around 2 fireballs on him. It is crucial that you jump straight up and nail him with a kick to send him flying back to the opposite side of the screen when he does his teleport stomp.

Ideally you want to be the entire screen away from him to give yourself more time to react to his horizontal fireballs and so you can continue shooting fireballs at him. If you manage to kick him away while he tries to teleport stomp you, it will create that distance. When he is at the exact opposite side of the screen he will only do 2 moves that can hit you (which are the teleport stomp and his horizontal fireball) so this is the distance you want to keep him at the entire duration of the fight to keep him predictable and allow yourself to counter him. He is also more likely to taunt you at this distance when you jump away which is great for free hits.

If he starts moving towards you and gets too close then you need to jump backwards because he has a breath of fire move as well as a ground fireball move that will hit you 3 consecutive times.You can pretty much say good bye and retry if you get hit by them.You also want to try and time your low fireballs so that when Kintaro does a horizontal fireball, you're character ducks it. You'll build up an xray meter again fairly fast with all the fireballs you put out.

If he gets advances on you while you're in the corner of the map then you'll need to try and jump over him to get to the opposite side of the screen again.

Vs. Mileena: Jump backwards away from her as the fight begins and keep shooting low fireballs at her. If she gets close to you, uppercut her away. Watch out for her dive kick. Low fireballs will again allow you to duck her projectile as well.

Vs. Shao Kahn: For Kahn you need to jump over him and into the opposite corner when he gets too close and keep the low fireball pressure on him. Jump over the hammers.

I'll probably update this as i perfect it, but this works for completing the challenge anyways. I really want to try and do the whole thing flawless to see if there's a secret reward. It would be crazy if either Skarlettt or Tanya was unlockable if you could pull it off since they are both chained up in the background with Shao Kahn

Hope these tips help save you some time. If you'd like to thank me, i'd totally appreciate some retro codes for PSN. :wink: You could email em to progamingson85@yahoo.com if you do happen to have any extra, but i really just put this together because i felt like writing and love Mortal Kombat! I already have the Retro Reptile outfit/fatality from preordering with Amazon.

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Re: Failproof Strategies for Story & Tower #185,251,269,275,

Post by Gambid »

Good jab, thanks for posting these, I am sure it will help a lot of people.

About the retro PSN Codes, we may have something planned soon :)
May be a Kontest, after the current one is over.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Sub-Zero
God
Side: Darkness
XBox Live: Korig

Post by Sub-Zero »

Thanks for this. I am finding that story mode is ridiculously difficult. I thought that's what challenge tower was for. Currently stuck in Raiden vs 3 part 2.

Edit: Just beat story, that has to be the hardest game I've ever beaten. Thanks so much for the tip on the final mission, it was the reason I won. I don't even wanna think about challenge tower now, I'm only on like 120 lol.
LawlietBR
Mortal

Post by LawlietBR »

Sorry for the question, I still don't have the game.

Can't you change the difficult on story mode ?

Or the difficult in the option menu is only for the ladder ?
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

You can. Not specifically of Story Mode, but in option you can adjust the difficulty of the game.

I am still on Jade's Chapter and I find Story Mode OK. This is a fighting game, it is supposed to be challenging.

Remember Mortal Kombat II? How long did it take for you to beat Kintaro? What about Shao Kahn?

I think MK:DA - MK:A made us all a bit lazy ;)
I Rule This World!

Nomercy85
Mortal

Post by Nomercy85 »

Glad it helped you. I pretty much posted all the fights that i thought were difficult or that i had to retry a few times. The more challenging I found a fight to be, the more detail I would provide.

For the most part the story was easy enough. Try out different moves and combos and you won't be stuck on anything very long. I listed all the fights that I think players could get stuck on.

I liked that they challenged me. Having to complete a few of them by trial and error made it feel more rewarding when i got to the end. So ideally play the game on your own and then if you really get stuck come back and check the strategies.
Ripper
Apprentice

Post by Ripper »

Man you guys are good. I still can't get past Challenge 9
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Challenge 9. This is Jax VS. the zombies, right?
You have to find the right moment to launch the Ground Wave.

This is this far one of the most difficult.
I Rule This World!

Sub-Zero
God

Post by Sub-Zero »

Need help with 239. Have to hit Katana 30 times in a specific amount of time but my issue is that she just keeps using her ability to move to the opposite end of the stage. Any suggestions?

Edit: Did it, barely. :D
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

So, any advise to the others after you managed to do it?
I Rule This World!

Sub-Zero
God

Post by Sub-Zero »

Just keep pushing her and if she is ever out of reach use your scream projectile. Also try do to the scream projectile at the end of each combo.

Currently stuck on 251 :(

I get to Shao Kahn easily but the fire ball trick isn't working for me. He just dashes through them.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Lets sticky this topic :)
I Rule This World!

Sub-Zero
God

Post by Sub-Zero »

Finally...beat...challenge tower!! Used scorpion, spammed spear, 3 hit combo, repeat. On Shao Kahn just spammed uppercut.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Congratulations, hopefully I too will find the time to do it soon :(
I Rule This World!

simonsez9
Mortal

Post by simonsez9 »

I just reach the 300 now try this strategy as mention with Scorpio

Return to “Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)”