Mortal Kombat (2011) Banned In Australia

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Mortal Kombat (2011) Banned In Australia

Post by Gambid »

IGN announced today that the Australian Classification Board, which is responsible for evaluating different types of media, similar to the the ESRB in the US, USK in Germany and PEGI in UK has refused to classify the upcoming Mortal Kombat game. This means that retailers will not be allowed to sell the game in Australia, nor import it. Retailers have already received notice to cancel any existing pre-orders.

The board mentions the extreme gore and violence of the game, primarily the Fatalities as unsuitable for minors. This is all true, as the game actually targets mature audience. Unfortunately the Australian Classification Board absences a R18+ rating for video games, which led to the refused classification.

Here is a part of the official statement from Warner Bros, regarding this topic:

The highly anticipated video game Mortal Kombat, published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE) in Australia, has been refused classification by the Australian Classification Board and will not release in Australia. We are extremely disappointed that Mortal Kombat, one of the world's oldest and most successful video games franchises, will not be available to mature Australian gamers.

WBIE would not market mature content where it is not appropriate for the audience. We understand that not all content is for every audience, but there is an audience for mature gaming content and it would make more sense to have the R18+ classification in Australia. As a member of the iGEA, WBIE is reviewing all options available at this time.

The Classification report goes into details, that explain the taken decision:

At the conclusion of a bout, a character is invited to perform a ‘finishing move’ or ‘fatality’. To perform a fatality, a player has to push a series of button combinations within a short period of time. If this is successfully accomplished, a non-interactive cut scene is triggered which depicts a character explicitly slaughtering their opponent.

Initially, the Move List Within the game includes one finishing move per character, although a player is able to unlock up to four per character. The Board notes that fatalities cannot be performed in Story mode and are unlikely to be performed frequently during gameplay; however, it is also noted that there are more than 60 fatalities available and they are an important component of the game.
- Stryker tasers his opponents and then explicitly shoots their head off with his gun. Blood and gore is noted.
- Shao Khan uses his hands to explicitly rip an opponent’s body vertically in two
- Kitana uses her ‘folding fan’ weapon to explicitly dismember then decapitate her opponent, with copious blood flow noted.
The game includes over 60 fatalities (some of which are noted above) which contain explicit depictions of dismemberment, decapitation, disembowelment and other brutal forms of slaughter. Despite the exaggerated conceptual nature of the fatalities and their context within a fighting game set in a fantasy realm, impact is heightened by the use of graphics which are realistically rendered and very detailed. In the opinion of the Board, the game contains violence that exceeds strong in impact and is unsuitable for a minor to see or play. The game should therefore be Refused Classification pursuant to item 1(d) of the computer games table of the National Classification Board.

The classification report reveals some interesting information about the game:

- Story mode has more than 15 hours of gameplay
- There are 25 characters in the game
- 60 Fatalities
- The Fatalities of Baraka, Kabal, Quan Chi and Shao Kahn (once again) are described in the report.

It looks like Mortal Kombat (2011) will repeat the fate of the original Mortal Kombat, which caused a huge controversy and eventually led to the creation of the entire ESRB Rating System in the United States. We wish Netherrealm Studios and Warner Bros the best of luck in handling the situation and managing to bring the game to the Australian fans.

The complete Classification Report was obtained by two of our affiliates: Kamidogu, Total Mortal Kombat.

Did you like this update? Then follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Discord.

I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
mk master 365
Grand Master
Side: Darkness
PSN: w2gMk

Re: Mortal Kombat (2011) Banned In Australia

Post by mk master 365 »

wait... did it say kabal and quan chi? they just released some characters! but it sure sucks for the austrailians. maybe they can come up with a solution like nintendo did.
▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀
LeingodX
Mortal

Post by LeingodX »

Sucks to be Australian nowadays. Besides that...

EXCELLENT. OUTSTANDING. WELL DONE. Quan Chi and Kabal have been confirmed! :D :D
mk master 365
Grand Master

Post by mk master 365 »

the stupid austrailian ESRB have just friken released two characters without knowing it! bet ed's not happy about this...
▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

The Australian Rating system needs adjustment. I hate when characters get leaked like that. They deserve a proper announcement, especially Quan Chi.

Probably Netherrealm had no plans to announce him at all and have him as a hidden character.
I Rule This World!

lothaer
Mortal

Re: Mortal Kombat (2011) Banned in Australia

Post by lothaer »

I have just send the Australian Board of Classification a email.

Here is the link for anyone that wants to do the same.

http://www.classification.gov.au/www/co ... oneEnquiry

Please keep your emails polite we dont want to start a war (yet) we want them to allow this game in out country.

The current head of the ACB is Donald McDonald AC his term as head expires April 30th this year.

The Attorney-General appoints the positions so maybe send him a letter here's his website http://www.robertmcclelland.com.au/

Thank you
Last edited by lothaer on Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gambid
Elder God

Re: Mortal Kombat Australia

Post by Gambid »

Let me pin this.

We also posted a news regarding this topic, it can be seen here: http://www.mksecrets.net/forums/eng/vie ... f=5&t=4659

Eventually I might merge both discussions, but for now, I will leave them separated.

All of us should help in bringing Mortal Kombat 9 to the Australian fans.
I Rule This World!

lothaer
Mortal

Re: Mortal Kombat Australia

Post by lothaer »

awesome thank you
Alexander Aguila
Mortal

Post by Alexander Aguila »

Well I think that the Australian docent have Hollywood movies to there is real explicit contend and gore, violence, sex, murdered and the hole sh-d. Because mk have only finish him move no drugs, sex, bad language, alcohol cigar, etc. I work in security and I tellyou a teen is not goin to follow a game but yes they can follow a movie of Hollywood because a movie contend situation of the real life. Mk is just a good game,and the Australian classification board you not are doing your home work sou. !! not movies to.
LeingodX
Mortal

Post by LeingodX »

what? :S
mk master 365
Grand Master

Post by mk master 365 »

my brain whent dead after the second sentance...
▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀
mk master 365
Grand Master

Post by mk master 365 »

maybe the austrailians can do a pitision type thing for a solution! rather than going all scorpion on them esrb people in australia.(its my job to do that)
▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀
lothaer
Mortal

Post by lothaer »

please sign this petition

http://www.gopetition.com/petition/43381.html

once you sign it please share it on your facebook and twitter accounts and anywhere else you can think.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

I Rule This World!

Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

There are already quite a few petitions online. I only hope that they somehow change things.
I Rule This World!

Return to “News Articles”