Register    Login    Search   View active topics    FAQ




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: MK3 Sektor and Cyrax Costume build (1:1 replica)
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:37 pm 
Offline
Mortal
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:14 am
Posts: 14
Location: Lin Kuei Outpost: Atlanta, GA
Yeah I'm interested! Ive been planning to make a better Cyrax in the future as soon as I acquired the game accurate MX armor. I'll even take a mold of the original armor if it isnt possible to get another. Theres a couple of inaccuracies to my current suit due to lack of detailed reference shots. Sprites dont give much to go on for close up details so after that all I had left was the vs screen shot. I had to guess what the back parts looked like lol The helmet is a bit big, but I can make a better one now though due to more experience. Those boots were black for a long time till I found some yellow duct tape to go on it. I'll have updated pics of the suit later as im taking it to a convention a month from now.

_________________
Cyrax Unit LK-4D4, making a comeback this year at D*Con 2011!


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: MK3 Sektor and Cyrax Costume build (1:1 replica)
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:49 pm 
Offline
Mortal
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:24 am
Posts: 19
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
monicator wrote:
Yeah I'm interested! Ive been planning to make a better Cyrax in the future as soon as I acquired the game accurate MX armor. I'll even take a mold of the original armor if it isnt possible to get another. Theres a couple of inaccuracies to my current suit due to lack of detailed reference shots. Sprites dont give much to go on for close up details so after that all I had left was the vs screen shot. I had to guess what the back parts looked like lol The helmet is a bit big, but I can make a better one now though due to more experience. Those boots were black for a long time till I found some yellow duct tape to go on it. I'll have updated pics of the suit later as im taking it to a convention a month from now.


No problem man. We've been thinking about doing the same thing with our chest armor. We will have a new set of chest armor coming in a few weeks or so. The only thing is that we cannot say what the size is. It's coming internationally, and it may be a size small. If there were more interest for this, then we'd have our pieces vac-formed, but we don't think it will really pick up until the new movie comes out next year?

If you need reference pics, send me your email and I'll send you everything that I've got. As for the helmet, we will be doing a version 2, which will be much more accurate and will sculpted/molded and cast as one piece, versus what we are doing right now. lol the boots are a whole other issue...

Got our taberds in as well, I'll try and get a pic posted for that in a bit


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: MK3 Sektor and Cyrax Costume build (1:1 replica)
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:05 pm 
Offline
Mortal
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:14 am
Posts: 14
Location: Lin Kuei Outpost: Atlanta, GA
I left you a PM with my email. I'll take any reference shots I can get. :D Oh and have you thought about what kind of material to use for the braids on the helmet? I thought about using real coaxial cables for that but that turned out seriously expensive for my budget and with time running out i went with shoe string. Currently it does the job but sometimes (especially when im doing fighting moves in costume) it moves around too much and hits me right in the face lol

_________________
Cyrax Unit LK-4D4, making a comeback this year at D*Con 2011!


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: MK3 Sektor and Cyrax Costume build (1:1 replica)
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:11 pm 
Offline
Mortal
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:24 am
Posts: 19
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
monicator wrote:
I left you a PM with my email. I'll take any reference shots I can get. :D Oh and have you thought about what kind of material to use for the braids on the helmet? I thought about using real coaxial cables for that but that turned out seriously expensive for my budget and with time running out i went with shoe string. Currently it does the job but sometimes (especially when im doing fighting moves in costume) it moves around too much and hits me right in the face lol


We've decided to use extension cord cable. We've found a close match for the metal tabs that go on each end. From our research, we've determined that they only had 4 total braids, but when ever you see sektor/cyrax in game, they make him appear to have 8.


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: MK3 Sektor and Cyrax Costume build (1:1 replica)
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:31 pm 
Offline
Mortal
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:14 am
Posts: 14
Location: Lin Kuei Outpost: Atlanta, GA
Oh 4? Really? lol My helmet currently has 6. For the metal tabs I just fabricated my own out of model magic at the end of each string. Most of my costume is model magic for the most part lol I wont use that medium again however because it cracks over time if the part its on has a lot of movement. I think molding and casting is the future for me but I've never attempted it before. I've done the cardboard and duct tape route for armor frames for years.

_________________
Cyrax Unit LK-4D4, making a comeback this year at D*Con 2011!


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: MK3 Sektor and Cyrax Costume build (1:1 replica)
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:51 pm 
Offline
Mortal
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:24 am
Posts: 19
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
monicator wrote:
Oh 4? Really? lol My helmet currently has 6. For the metal tabs I just fabricated my own out of model magic at the end of each string. Most of my costume is model magic for the most part lol I wont use that medium again however because it cracks over time if the part its on has a lot of movement. I think molding and casting is the future for me but I've never attempted it before. I've done the cardboard and duct tape route for armor frames for years.


Yea man, once you enter the world of molding and casting with other materials, it's hard to want to go back. Its more expensive, but in the long run, you can't beat the quality of the finished piece!


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: MK3 Sektor and Cyrax Costume build (1:1 replica)
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:05 pm 
Offline
Mortal
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:14 am
Posts: 14
Location: Lin Kuei Outpost: Atlanta, GA
I looked at the reference pics and I guessed right about the back of the head. That helmet is really small! You can even see the guy's chin when hes wearing it. I definitely need to make a new helmet. I got one month so mabey I'll give cardboard and model magic one last swing for my old Cyrax suit and retire my old helmet by having some celebrity guests at Dragoncon autograph it. lol Oh another part im wondering about is the armor on the arms. The top part is obviously part of the Sinisalo MX armor but what about the other pieces like on the elbow and forearms? Were they custom made or part of some other armor?

_________________
Cyrax Unit LK-4D4, making a comeback this year at D*Con 2011!


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: MK3 Sektor and Cyrax Costume build (1:1 replica)
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:43 pm 
Offline
Mortal
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:24 am
Posts: 19
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
monicator wrote:
I looked at the reference pics and I guessed right about the back of the head. That helmet is really small! You can even see the guy's chin when hes wearing it. I definitely need to make a new helmet. I got one month so mabey I'll give cardboard and model magic one last swing for my old Cyrax suit and retire my old helmet by having some celebrity guests at Dragoncon autograph it. lol Oh another part im wondering about is the armor on the arms. The top part is obviously part of the Sinisalo MX armor but what about the other pieces like on the elbow and forearms? Were they custom made or part of some other armor?


Thats the next big hurdle. We don't know right now. Our last resort would to sculpt it out, mold and cast it in a foam latex or something similar. Otherwise, we'd just get some modern elbow/fore arm pads that would flow with the rest of the costume.


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: MK3 Sektor and Cyrax Costume build (1:1 replica)
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:35 pm 
Offline
Mortal
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:14 am
Posts: 14
Location: Lin Kuei Outpost: Atlanta, GA
I would probably go with sculpting it out and using something similar to craft foam, it would be more accurate than buying something already made unless that piece really exists. Craft foam is what my arm guards are made out of. I ironed them into shape and gave it 20 coats of a half water and half tacky glue mixture and that hardens them up real good. They feel similar to the shin guards you buy at the store just without the padding on the back. I have to get to work finding some suitable cardboard for the helmet frame. I may post pictures building my v2 helmet. Maybe it could be of some help to you guys?

_________________
Cyrax Unit LK-4D4, making a comeback this year at D*Con 2011!


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: MK3 Sektor and Cyrax Costume build (1:1 replica)
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:07 pm 
Offline
Mortal
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:24 am
Posts: 19
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Well, for our current helmet build, we are using styrene sheets, cutting them to templates that I made using the reference, bending them accordingly, and fiberglassing the inside to hold and strengthen it's shape. We are using the baseball helmet from walmart, because it has the most form fitting back and IMO, is perfect for the base.

I'd be willing to post what templates I made for the helmet so far, but my scanner is packed up at the moment (moving out of my house right now). I think it would help you along though if you were willing to go that route. This would be our version one helmet though. Our V2 will be cast in fiberglass, with the whole face, and side panels as one, where we'd still be able to use the baseball helmet we are now as a base, that you'd just slide over it, attach it in place and you'd have the helmet done (thats the plan at least!!)

My buddy doing the Sektor right now, will hopefully have his suit ready for Dragon Con. I won't be attending cause I can't afford it, but if you see a fairly accurate Sektor running around, thats my buddy!


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: MK3 Sektor and Cyrax Costume build (1:1 replica)
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:31 pm 
Offline
Mortal
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:14 am
Posts: 14
Location: Lin Kuei Outpost: Atlanta, GA
Oh really hes gonna be at Dragoncon? Cool! What day though do you know? Because I plan on being Cyrax on Sunday. Saturday is Starfox's day lol As for my v2 helmet seeing as I have 1 month to complete it and short on extra cash, i'm going to go with the methods I know best. I can make the helmet form fitting by building the cardboard around my actual head and making sure its a tight fit. It will also make it light and seeing how i'm sure i'll be wearing the thing all day that will be important lol I'll be using thin cardboard so it wont be bulky. I'm going to make the front look more accurate to Sektor's studio pics too. Somehow when I made the first helmet it must have been inspired by the Cyrax from the mortal kombat annihilation movie. I wont make that mistake again.

*Update*
I deleted the other updates I made because it was starting to get long lol I finished spray painting the helmet now. Just need to add a finishing coat, do a few touch ups/details, and all I will have to do then is attach the cyber-dreads.

Image

Image

Image

Image

_________________
Cyrax Unit LK-4D4, making a comeback this year at D*Con 2011!


Last edited by monicator on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: MK3 Sektor and Cyrax Costume build (1:1 replica)
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:40 pm 
Offline
Mortal
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:14 am
Posts: 14
Location: Lin Kuei Outpost: Atlanta, GA
Well I finished my new helmet. What you guys think?

Image

Image

Image

_________________
Cyrax Unit LK-4D4, making a comeback this year at D*Con 2011!


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: MK3 Sektor and Cyrax Costume build (1:1 replica)
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:39 pm 
Offline
Mortal
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:24 am
Posts: 19
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Hey,

That looks alot better! Good job! It really helps the overall look of your suit. The only thing I'd probably suggest, is to try and make the chest piece closer? Looks like the bottom of it is bulging out a bit, but I can't really tell. But other then that, it looks like your ready to go!

-TC


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: MK3 Sektor and Cyrax Costume build (1:1 replica)
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:49 pm 
Offline
Mortal
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 10:12 pm
Posts: 44
Location: The Depths Of Hell..!!
WoW.........!
Amazing.....!
Impressive....!

Thanx,SA

_________________
I Am A "Shirai Ryu"
I Am A Dead  Ninja Assassin
I Am The Ninja SPECTRE
I Am ((Scorpion))
--------------
My Free Forum :
http://mkninjas.myfreeforum.org/
Be Welcome...!


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: MK3 Sektor and Cyrax Costume build (1:1 replica)
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:58 pm 
Offline
Mortal
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:24 am
Posts: 19
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I guess I should probably update our project situation..

So heres the deal. We got our taberds made, and just need to get the pieces sewn onto them so we can attach them to the belt, along with the belt buckles/boxes.

As for the armor, well, we were going to see about getting an automotive paintjob, but found out that the plastic they used to make the armor actually releases a chemical that causes paint to wrinkle and fish-eye, and would cause the paint to not adhere. So, we are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

As for the helmet, we are going to only make my buddy's for his sektor, but I'm going to wait until we do version 2 for my helmet.


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

 Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

  Design by Mighty Gorgon