MK3 Sektor and Cyrax Costume build (1:1 replica)

tubachris85x
Mortal

MK3 Sektor and Cyrax Costume build (1:1 replica)

Post by tubachris85x »

Hey all

New to the forums, but have been using this site for awhile now. I've grown up playing the first MK games on my old SNES, my favorite still to this day being MK3. I know this sub forum mostly has mods to the games and what not, but as one of my hobbies, is replica prop building and is not limited to costumes. I'm mostly a star wars costumer, but me and a buddy are going to go as "Ketchup and mustard"

Back to the topic, we've spent a few months researching the original MK3 suit they made for sektor/cyrax. We've just this week identified the MX/BMX armor used for the original chest armor, located only 2 known to be available online, one of which, is on it's way to my doorstep.

Right now, We've begun construction of the helmet. I will say that due to very minimal reference, combined with the unique shape of the helmet, to be the most difficult replica that we have started taking on. As of right now, we have the muzzle/mouth piece about 90% finished, the helmet base with side panels added today.

We are making these costumes as accurate as we can get it, and will post pics of our progress. Will post some by tomorrow of the helmet build.

In the mean time, here is a picture of the same MX armor used for the orignal game suit, which we will both be recieving very shortly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/* ... 1246460052

-TC

tubachris85x
Mortal

Re: MK3 Sektor and Cyrax Costume build (1:1 replica)

Post by tubachris85x »

Having both of our original sinisalo MX armor secured, we will begin excellerating with these costumes. The great thing about this costume is that if you wanted to be any other characters, smoke, cyrax or sektor, it's just a matter of changing color.

I myself will be doing Cyrax, all yellow, IrishFett will be doing Sektor, all red. "Ketchup and Mustard"

Having studied references from both in game models as well as "behind the scenes" videos, we have decided to start with the helmet build. From what is seen, the entire face/muzzle, sides and neck tubes were physically added onto a base helmet.

We first started with the muzzle piece. I feel that it is essential that this piece be as accurate as possible or else it will throw off the entire helmet's look that we've come to love seeing in the game. Using references, lots of paper, patience and several hours of staring, we've come up with this. Right now, it's at the basic form, we will be going over this with bondo to sculpt the raised details and curves. Right now, this piece has been fiberglassed and the vent details cut out. This pic dosn't have it shown, but we have the side vents cut out on it as of now.

My Original paper template on the left, the styrene base on the right

At this point, we couldn't move on with the build until we had a proper helmet base. It has to be "form" fitting in the back, where it's exposed. So this eliminated alot of helmets, originally were going to use an actual MX helmet, but they were just too bulky. Out of sheer luck, having gone to walmart several times for the purpose of finding a cheap helmet, we saw their baseball helmets, and to our surprise, it fits the reference perfectly. Best part is that, despite me being larger then Irishfett, we both fit the same exact size helmet.

With the helmet now modded (trimmed off the visor) we were ready to start building the rest of it. First up, the side panels. Im not going to lie, this took us several rockstar energy drinks and 9 hours through the night to just make this shaped piece. This was probably the most complicated piece to get to look right.

Mind you, the exact placement of the muzzle is still to be determined!

Here are the styrene pieces on the helmet from the front. This was how they were just after we cut them. As of right now, these two panels are fiberglassed and properly curved.

What we are focusing right now on, is the front panels, and eye slit, and this is looking to be just as difficult to make as the side panels..but we are getting closer..

Paper template testing and positioning testing pic

Most current front template. This time, we included the eye slits. It turns out that the red detail steming from the eye is sunk in, making the white sections raised, so we are making the main raised panel first, and then attaching a second styrene sheet under it, to fill the detail space.

We are still toying with the exact angle of the eye detail, but we feel that it may be the final one. The eye slits are drawn out exactly as it will be for the final helmet. That little grey pointed thing is the incomplete sculpt of the forward most tube ends that you see the on the sides of the helmet. Kind of funny, it was built around the plastic piece that came from the nose of my rubies vader mask, that little inset plastic piece.

So there is are current progress. Hoping that I will be getting my MX armor in tomorrow or sometime this week. We are going to try and finish the front panels tomorrow, and then continue working on the shin armor or knee armor, which will not take long at all.

-TC
Kaihedgie
Mortal

Post by Kaihedgie »

Why isn't anyone lookin' at this? This is effin' awesome D:
tubachris85x
Mortal

Post by tubachris85x »

Well, upon arriving home, I recieved a very much anticipated package sitting at my door! None other then the MX armor!

Definatly has some wear on it, a few scratched, and one very small, but fixable crack. As for how it fits me, it could be ALOT worse, but I'm not really planning on wearing this costume until I thin out a bit, which will really help out the overall look. I feel the height between the bottom of the breast plate and my waist is about right as well, based off of references of course. The only thing I'm a little peeved about, is that I recieved 3 bicep pieces, however, all 3 of them are all for one side..There might be hope though, because one of them ( the red one) has a sticker that says "sinisalo copyright 2001" which suggest that they've kept the same design up to then, and I may possibly be able to find one for my left side.

-TC
Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

This looks kool.
Can't wait to see the final result.

Can you show some of you other work.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
tubachris85x
Mortal

Post by tubachris85x »

Well, everything else that I've done has been star wars related. My main project which I've spent the last 4 years procrastinatiing on, is my star wars Battlefront 2 style Darktrooper. My focus as of yet, has been the helmet sculpt, which is about 90% finished, I just don't have the cash to pay for molding materials. Other then that project, I usually do commissions painting Jango Fett helmets. My other costumes, include a Rebel Fleet Trooper and I am doing a snowtrooper..have all the cloth parts, just waiting for the armor to arrive in the mail.

Darktrooper helmet sculpt as of now

Thanks!

-TC
tubachris85x
Mortal

Post by tubachris85x »

Alright, well we've got alot done today. We are sort of taking a short break on the helmet to focus on the other aspects of the suit. Today, we focused on the belt boxes. I don't have pics personally at the moment, but I sculpted the belt box and we just made a silicone mold, which we will be able to make some fiberglass pulls, hopefully tomorrow.

We've also been thinking about the boots and shin armor. We believe that they used some vintage MX boots, and we are currently searching for the best matching. Most of the vintage style boots have shin guards built into them, and we've actually seen a few with the correct shaped shins on them, so it's only a matter of time until we find a good match.

I personally just started my chest armor. I've just put the first layer of yellow down, and will hopefully have the breast plate done soon. As an FYI to anyone ever considering doing Cyrax, we've found the best matching paint to be Krylon "Sun yellow"

So that's all that we've done today. I feel this is going pretty good at the moment, and we will get pics posted as soon as we can.

-TC
tubachris85x
Mortal

Post by tubachris85x »

So, I'm actually surprised that the silicone mold cured as fast as it did, I was just able to demold it a few minutes ago. As you can see, the mold and then the clay master. We got the measurements comparing the width and height against the MX armor piece, and came out with this. We are going to be doing the same process with the belt buckle/box and the silver strips between the boxes.

Here, you can see my armor prepped with primer. I was not able to dissassemble the pieces, the only way that can be achieved is by ruining the attachment methods, and I did not want to ruin it. This is it in primer (wet at the time). I've just put down my last layer of yellow. Just need to wait for it to dry, mask off most of it, and spray the silver on the side notches.

-TC
tubachris85x
Mortal

Post by tubachris85x »

Well, we are waiting for the first fiberglass casting of the belt box to cure at the moment, but should be ready for de-molding in a bit. I've started sculpting the front "buckle" box tonight, but it's still got a bit to go.

Unfortunatly, these next two weeks are going to be really hectic. I have just over 2 weeks to pack all my stuff, fix up this house for a bit and move out of it, on top of my 6 summer classes....

Since me and Irishfett are working on this together, I will be staying up here a little after Im done with classes for the sole purpous of finishing off the helmet(s)

-TC
tubachris85x
Mortal

Post by tubachris85x »

We got a bit more done today. IrishFett got his armor in today, and he's already started painting it all. lol the set he got was in much better condition then mine, but I can't complain!

Anyways, I managed to sculpt out the "belt buckle" piece and mold it up tonight. We will start doing resin casts tomorrow. You can see the first fiberglass casting, but we are having second thoughts on using fiberglass lol

Here's my chest armor (in progress) I'm going to be stripping it down...again. I used krylon primer and it completly ruined the paintjob :hate It dosn't look like it now, but this paint gets very glossy

-TC
Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

Hm... this looks really cool.
Can't wait to see it finished.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
ninjaturkey14
Mortal

Post by ninjaturkey14 »

good luck
tubachris85x
Mortal

Post by tubachris85x »

Thanks guys! :)

Quick update today...We've done some resin castings yesterday of the belt boxes and buckle piece. We went out and got ourselves a black belt from an Army navy store which we feel will work great for it. As you can see, it's just a quick mock-up of the placement of everything. We are going to be making the last piece tomorrow, the strip or sliver piece that goes between the buckle and first belt box.

Also, a local friend, of whom we are helping construct her scout trooper armor, is also well experienced in sewing, and she is going to be constructing the taberds that hang from the front. We went and got all the material for that today, but I can't say when we'll have them in by.

The last few things is just gettting the armor painted, mine especially. Irishfett's armor is pretty much done, just a few touch ups, and then painting the silver areas and his is done, as you can see pictured.

That's it for now!

-TC
monicator
Mortal

Post by monicator »

Wow this is really nice work. Cant wait to see it finished. I'm new to the forums as well and I couldn't help but notice this since I made a Cyrax costume a few years back. Your lucky to find that chest armor. I've been searching for god knows how long and I still cant find one to this day lol but I think my costume turned out alright for model magic and cardboard. I'll be staying tuned to check out the progress. :D

Cyrax Unit LK-4D4, making a comeback this year at D*Con 2011!
tubachris85x
Mortal

Post by tubachris85x »

Hey man! Nice to see a fellow costumer!

Considering the real lack of reference, you did a fairly nice job on your suit! LOL trust us, it was pretty hard finding the chest armor for this...but, if you are interested, we may be able to help you out with that in the near future if you interested. I cannot say for sure, but we are close to aquiring another set. Good job man!

-TC

Return to “Misc. Projects (Videos, Helloween Costumes, ...)”