Kotaku: Mortal Kombat Team Looking To Split From Midway

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Kotaku: Mortal Kombat Team Looking To Split From Midway

Post by Gambid »

Kotaku has recently reported that the Mortal Kombat development team is looking for a way to leave Midway.

From the article:
Mortal Kombat Team Looking To Split From Midway

Midway's team of developers responsible for the 17-year-old Mortal Kombat franchise is currently in active talks with other publishers to leave the company and for its own studio, sources tell Kotaku.

The MK team, which comprises about 50 developers, is said to be in discussions with a handful of unnamed publishers, with senior members of the group handling negotiations for a possible exodus from Midway. According to Midway sources who wished to remain anonymous, one of the catalysts for the move is a lack of payment in bonuses due to MK team members based on meeting Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe sales targets.

Sources said that the Mortal Kombat team has become increasingly "frustrated" with the handling of Midway's bankruptcy filing. MK staffers also expressed irritation from being in the position of delivering million unit-selling titles on time and on a bi-annual schedule while other projects at the company languish in development.

Midway representatives, when contacted for comment, opted not to discuss the Mortal Kombat team's plans, saying that the team was in "good shape." They did, however, want to stress that Midway itself is not withholding any owed payment to the Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe developers.

"Midway is not refusing to pay out those bonuses," PR reps told us. "It's the unsecured creditors committee that is refusing to allow us to pay them. They're the ones holding that up."

If the MK team—who are apparently not under contract at Midway—does find a new studio to call home at a publisher other than Midway, the fighting game franchise may not go with them. That, as well as having to abandon work on the follow-up to MK vs. DC, tentatively titled Mortal Kombat 9, was going to be "tough."

Should the key Mortal Kombat talent leave, it could be a substantial blow to the ailing Midway, which has already closed and consolidated many of its in-house development teams.
Click here to read the entire article.

We will post more details as information gets available.

Did you like this update? Then follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Discord.

I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
ded
God

Re: Kotaku: Mortal Kombat Team Looking To Split From Midway

Post by ded »

sad, hopefuly its a rumor
Sub-Zero
God
Side: Darkness
XBox Live: Korig

Post by Sub-Zero »

OMG NO!!! This is scary, it could mean the next MK will be made by a bunch of new guys or there wont be one at all...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :cry:
Darkness-Lord
Apprentice

Post by Darkness-Lord »

this news is on the other mk websites as well but to be honest if midway would make and mk for the pc that would just get them out of this situation :P for example Devil may Cry have sold ou a few milion copies in the first week now how about for mydway to convert mk vs dc universe for the pc :P after all it is alla bout fighting and mk has bel allways good on the pc :P What about this solution that i said?? to make and mk for the pc :P
Let Mortal Kombat Begin
Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

I don't think that it will sell this good.
May be with some extra content in it.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster

Return to “News Articles”