Mortal Kombat: Deception (xbox 360) Review

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Mortal Kombat: Deception (xbox 360) Review

Post by Gambid »

Patrick McCarron of TRMK has posted a review of Mortal Kombat: Deception on the Microsoft X-Box 360. The game is playable on the new platform thanks to a software emulation (see the news article from Nov 14 2005 for more information). Below is a part of the review:
The game starts off with the intro video and main menu, which looks pretty crisp and clear being rendered at my Xbox 360's High Definition 1080i resolution on my 52" HDTV. All the game's Profile functions appear to work just fine, saving to my Xbox 360 Hard Drive without a problem, I had no Xbox 360 Memory Card to test though. I can also connect fine to Xbox Live and search for games. The Krypt and special Kontent areas all appear to be working as expected. Even the Area 51 Game Demo appears to work perfectly. I noticed the fonts are corrupted a little bit, see below screenshots, but it looks stylish in a way so most people won't notice this as a problem.

Everything seems too good to be true, and unfortunately it is. I decide to fire up a game in Arcade mode, and am presented with the character selection screen followed by the tournment ladder. Immediately I can see the increased quality of rendering the game at 1080i in the details of the tournament ladder mountain and the characters. I was really excited until the game actually loaded up a fight scene.

Unfortunately, the fight scenes are emulated fairly poor. The game camera keeps getting blocked by polygons that pop over the action constantly. The character I was playing with would develop some polygons stretching out past the camera view. It would only get worse the next round, as I find some stages are worse than others. The game started to slow down and redraw polygons across the camera surface, totally making the game unplayable. In one stage the screen was completely covered in a rainbow of polygons, so bad that I had to force a reboot of the system to quit out of the game.

On a positive note, the details on the characters and surrounding stage backgrounds really stand out. Their rendering quality looks really great in High Definition 1080i. The graphics don't look quite realistic - more plastic like - but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Overall the upgraded graphics in Mortal Kombat: Deception were a welcomed surprise. Once all the bugs are fixed, it should look amazing. Below is the best shot I could get between the glitches with my camera.

So I quit out of Kombat mode and decide to take a turn at Konquest to see how that is. It started with more of the same, as there were more glitches in the intro training sequence. But once I passed that, Konquest ran pretty well and looked really crisp and clear. There was an occasional slow down and choppiness but it wouldn't last for more than a second or two.

Overall the emulation for the backwards compatibility needs some work. So much so I'm surprised this got past Microsoft's Quality Control department. But once the issues are resolved by Microsoft, all Mortal Kombat fans should be in business with the Xbox 360. ...

Click here to read the original article and to see some screenshots.

Did you like this update? Then follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Discord.

I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
florentin
Warrior

Re: Mortal Kombat: Deception (xbox 360) Review

Post by florentin »

Damn ,not even Microsoft can't do a decent emulator :(
Sniper Wolf 1122
God
PSN: Sever2ndtoNone

Re: Mortal Kombat: Deception (xbox 360) Review

Post by Sniper Wolf 1122 »

<span style='color:green'>microsoft cant do anything good, i cant stand em. all x-box games should be able to work on 360, or thats just plain stupid.</span>

Return to “News Articles”