Midway Gamer's Day

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Midway Gamer's Day

Post by Gambid »

The most interesting from Midway Gamer's Day:

Mortal Kombat Online is one of the sites that has the most complete coverage of this event, including a lot of information and media of Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks and Mortal Kombat: Deception (GameCube).

From their news article:
For now, let us start with MK: Shaolin Monks. The intro is just amazing. Every single character from the first Mortal Kombat game can be seen battling each other in just utter chaos. They also cut to a shot of the Tarkatan hordes charging into the throne room of Shang Tsung, only to have one dispatched fairly quickly by Kung Lao's razor-sharp hat. Shang Tsung's guards from MK1 are also seen, and they are given a beating by Shang himself after being knocked into him by Liu Kang! Kung Lao's presence seems to indicate a major retcon to MK continuity, as the Mortal Kombat II comic by John Tobias establishes that Kung Lao was not present at the Mortal Kombat tournament.

As always, old school fans will have every incentive to play this game, as you can now see what's around stages that will be very familiar, such as The Pit, The Tower, Goro's Lair, The Portal, and The Living Forest. MKSM will also continue the MK tradition of turning rumors into reality - you can now knock your enemies into the mouths of the trees in the Living Forest. In fact, Shaun Himmerick assured that not only would every stage from MKII be included in MKSM, he also assured that each of these stages would have at least one secret unlockable within them.

The gameplay starts out very simply - in a one player game, you can choose to play as either Liu Kang or Kung Lao. You can also choose a 2-player cooperative mode. You begin with your classic moves from the MK fighting game. As you progress in the game, you can get your moves "upgraded" - eg, Kung Lao's Hat can strike multiple opponents, or whizz around the entire room. He never loses the ability to do the plain old Hat Throw, however; it's just that more options become available to the player as the game moves on.

The graphics seem much improved since the early screenshots we saw when the game was first announced. This could be a combination of the fact that the in-game models have been worked on some more, and that since we are now seeing the game in motion we can appreciate its fluidity.
Media:

Render of Kung Lao Render of Reptile Render of Shang Tsung

Goro - Bio, Alt. Bio

Shao Kahn - Bio, Alt. Bio

Three Direct-Feed Videos - featuring Random Select in action, Fatalities on the "bosses", and both new mirror matches.

Presentation Video - Longer than GameSpot's, has never-before-seen footage of MKSM (including OLD Shang Tsung) in beginning of video.

A lot more at Mortal Kombat Online

Other links with interesting information:

IGN - Midway Reveals New Titles
IGN - MKSM - Mr. Hat and Mr. Fireball Combat Outworld Evil
GameSpot - MKSM Impressions
GameSpot - MKSM Presentation (video)
GameSpot - MKSM Developer Interview (video)
GameTrailers - MKSM GamePlay Trailer (video)

Thanks to Mortal Kombat Online`s staff member ]{0MBAT for the information.

Did you like this update? Then follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Discord.

I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Dude
God

Re: Midway Gamer's Day

Post by Dude »

Wow, that is truly great information, Gambid! I love Goro's alternate costume. :D
Dark Scorpion5
God

Post by Dark Scorpion5 »

i knew it was shao kahn who found goro
Dude
God

Post by Dude »

Yeah, most people thought that. :D
Dark Scorpion5
God

Post by Dark Scorpion5 »

it was sort of obvious
Black-Rose
Apprentice

Post by Black-Rose »

Goro's alt costume makes him look like Motoro a little..... anyways, I like Shao Kahn other costume.
Sniper Wolf 1122
God
PSN: Sever2ndtoNone

Post by Sniper Wolf 1122 »

i like shao kahns primary, and goro`s alternate better. :D

Return to “News Articles”