2k texture injection tutorial (thank you ahtam)

AlterL
Grand Master

2k texture injection tutorial (thank you ahtam)

Post by AlterL »

So just as you read, if you need to inject higher resolution textures into the game, now you can. the things that we need are these:

files:
1)ui_e_Jade.xxx
2)the char you want to have 2k textures.

programs:
1)decompress.exe
2)extract.exe
3)hex editor of your choice, I recommend using HXD
4)mk9mesh.exe

now into the tutorial:

1) First thing you want to do is grab both files mentioned and drag them individually over the decompress.exe file, this will create a folder named unpacked where you'll find both decompressed files, just take them out and place them in the same place as the originals.

2)extract said files by dragging them over extract.exe. this will create folders named after said file, for example "CHAR_Jade_B" and ui_e_Jade.xxx

3)then you will go into these folders and look for the textures needed first go into the ui_e_Jade and get the file "ui_e_Jade_I69.Texture2D" then go over to your Chars folder which should have another folder inside called simply textures and select the "yourcharname"_NormHQA.Texture2D in this case, it would be "Jade_B_NormHQA.Texture2D"

4) open both files inside your favorite hex editor, I'm using HXD

select and copy the header from the NormHQA.Texture2d file, now in order to do this just select from the start of the file up until you reach offset 00000120 in its third column named 02
image.png
5) select the header from ui_e_Jade_I69.Texture2D, this one starts from the very beginning of the file as well, up until you reach offset 000000E0 in its column 07, so right in front of it you should see a D1
image2.png
6)copy the header from your NormHQA file and paste it over the "ui_e_Jade_I69.Texture2D" file header as shown in the img, remember Ctrl+V guys.
img3.png
7) select the start of the file ui_e_Jade_I69.Texture2D

8) press ctrl+F and select integer number there you will search for 1024 and change the numbers from 1024 to 2048 within the header that you're working with. Anyways thanks to Ahtam you can see excactly what points need to be changed inside of the img, just change the 00 04 for 00 08
img4.png
9) Save ui_e_Jade_I69.Texture2D with the changes you've made

10) open CMD and drag over it mk9mesh.exe, then drag on top of it your char file so it looks something like C:\mk9mesh.exe C:\Documents\mesh\0\0\CHAR_Jade_B.xxx then drag the new ui_e_Jade_I69.Texture2D giving you a line like the one shown bellow, then locate the number of the file you want to replace using the ExportTable.txt that comes within the folder of the char you've extracted, just search within it for like
"1799 = Texture2D'Textures.Jade_B_Diff'" or any other texture number and use said number at the end of the line.

11) press enter on CMD, now you should look for a file named new.xxx, once located just change its name to the original char so new.xxx will be renamed to CHAR_Jade_B.xxx

12) now you have 2k textures on your model, but this obviously haven't been touched, so you can extract them again and edit them however you want it in order to get your mods going. Anyways hope this helps the community.
img5.png
img5.png (7.22 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
credits for this tutorial go to ahtam for teaching me, and just to show that it works here is jade with the unedited texture injected.
Attachments
img6.png

ahtam
Apprentice
Side: Darkness

Re: 2k texture injection tutorial (thank you ahtam)

Post by ahtam »

nice tutorial) thanx for writing that
USF
Master
Side: Darkness

Post by USF »

this is very helpful, thank you both!
I apologize if I make mistakes, I write through a translator. (My native language is russian)
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/USFmoddingchannel
Check out my workspace: viewtopic.php?t=48432
PixelDudeUltra
Apprentice
Side: Light

Post by PixelDudeUltra »

very helpful, i have a question on point.7
when i search for 1024, should i replace every 00 04 with 00 08 or maybe i should just replace one?
AlterL
Grand Master

Post by AlterL »

PixelDudeUltra wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:13 pm very helpful, i have a question on point.7
when i search for 1024, should i replace every 00 04 with 00 08 or maybe i should just replace one?
you replace it twice, from what I can tell, you need to do it in the second and third time but not necessarily the first one. the best way to test this is by saving and using mk9pc_texture2dds_3.exe to see if it extracts correctly, if it does you should be good to go.

Return to “Mortal Kombat 9 PC Modding Tutorials and Discussions”