The Romance Between The Last of Us and Mortal Kombat Continues

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

The Romance Between The Last of Us and Mortal Kombat Continues

Post by Gambid »

The currently running HBO Max TV Series The Last of Us, based on Naughty Dog's hit game series by the same name, delivered last night one of its very excellent episodes. Left Behind, which is the 7th episode of the series, focuses on Ellie's past, her time with FEDRA and her relationship with her best friend Riley.

In an earlier episode Ellie is shown to have a very strong connection to the Mortal Kombat franchise and especially Mortal Kombat II. This time we get to see why. Earlier in the episode while we are in Ellie's room we get a glimpse at one of the walls and right in the middle of the frame we are greeted by one of the original Mortal Kombat II posters:
The Last of Us Episode 7 Mortal Kombat 2 Poster
This was however not enough. Later in the episode, an original Mortal Kombat II arcade machine plays a vital role in the plot and the fate of the two girls. Ellie and Riley enjoy several fights while we get to see the classic arcade game in one of the best TV Shows in recent years. Raiden, Mileena, Baraka all show up on screen for a brief cameo ;)
The Last of Us Episode 7 Mortal Kombat 2 Arcade Machine The Last of Us Episode 7 Mortal Kombat 2 Arcade Machine Raiden
This episode is written by Neil Druckmann who is also the writer behind the two The Last of Us games that the show is based on. On Twitter, Ed Boon decided to show his excitement for last night's episode and share a clip from it:
EdBoon wrote:I don’t remember the last time I was hooked on a show as much as THE LAST OF US.
So seeing Mortal Kombat featured as prominently as it was last night was a huge thrill.
To his tweet, Neil Druckmann answered with:
Neil Druckmann wrote:Was waiting for you to see it! Thanks for making all the times I skipped school so awesome!
This is a dynamic in the industry I would personally love to see more often. Congratulations to Neil Druckmann for this very excellent episode.

Did you like this episode of The Last of Us? We personally cannot wait to see what happens next. More excited we are however to see how Mortal Kombat will reciprocate the shown love.

This episode marks the third time Mortal Kombat has been referenced in The Last of Us. Have a look at these previous articles for more details on the previous two guest appearances:

- Mortal Kombat 2 Reference In The Last Of Us Remake
- Another Mortal Kombat Reference In The Last Of Us Media

Did you like this update? Then follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Discord.
Attachments
the-last-of-us-episode-7-mortal-kombat-2-poster.jpg
the-last-of-us-episode-7-mortal-kombat-2-arcade-machine-side.jpg
the-last-of-us-episode-7-mortal-kombat-2-arcade-machine.jpg

I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Roy Arkon
God
Side: Darkness
PSN: RoyArkon46

Re: The Romance Between The Last of Us and Mortal Kombat Continues

Post by Roy Arkon »

That was awesome to see for sure, and yeah it will be really interesting to see if NRS/WB ever do something like that to the Last of Us, perhaps in MK12.
No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Yep, even though the fact that it is a Siny franchise might limit them as Mortal Kombat also comes out on XBox. Unless they do something very small or console exclusive.
I Rule This World!

Roy Arkon
God
Side: Darkness
PSN: RoyArkon46

Post by Roy Arkon »

Oh yeah didn't think about that, so maybe it would be something small, if anything.
No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Yep, that is what I think so too. Or may be in a medium that is not the game. For example in the next animated movie.
I Rule This World!

Noob Saibot
Warrior

Post by Noob Saibot »

I just finished watching the episode, as I didn't really have the time before. Seeing mk2 in it was so awesome.
We share blood, but we are not brothers.

Return to “News Articles”