[GUIDE/DISCUSSION] How the DLC folder works

zepterrian
Grand Master
Side: Light

[GUIDE/DISCUSSION] How the DLC folder works

Post by zepterrian »

I think it is worth to leave this noted since this information is pretty much relevant when it come to adding content into the game.

Going to the point.
About mods installation, one first method for adding content is by modifying directly the game entries (coalesceds and toc) and then throwing the .XXX files into the ASSET folder. Which is more of a manual task because we almost don't have tools for that. But we actually don't need them.

The most efficient way is to use the DLC folder located at "game\yourgameregionhere\USRDIR\DLC".

In this way you never alter the game entries directly. Meaning that all the manual patch is left aside.
You make use of installers instead, and thus you can distribute your content as .pkg files.
Probably some old school modders are already familiarized with this method, but for people that begins learning, this will literally avoid tons of possible problems.

The good thing about this folder is that you do not need to add all the information about the .XXX files you will be using in game.
You can even include Fatality files, intro files and all you need, and never be needing to modify the TOC file.

All the modded content and installers need to be placed into a folder, which you will name as you please.
And at the same time, this folder will be placed into the DLC at the path indicated above.

As a side note, I've found that it is theoretically possible to modify sections of the main coalesced file too.
To be more exact, I only experimented with the Player.DownloadContentUnlocked. And I've been able to disable the four default DLCs (Kenshi, Rain, Skarlet and Freddy), which in time allowed me to put replacers so they can have alternate costumes too.

Hopefully we can use this last feature for more relevant works too, if possible.

For the raptor race...

Return to “Mortal Kombat 9 PS3 Modding”