Damaged skins with no blood/bruises

johnlocke
Mortal

Damaged skins with no blood/bruises

Post by johnlocke »

Hey everyone.

I want to make a simple (at least I think it's simple) modification.
Everytime I play the game, it really bothers me how the females get all bruised and hurt after the battles. So I want to change the skins to keep the clothes ripping off (hint hint) but with no torn flesh,scratches, or any body damage whatsoever.

I already tried exploring the diff skins but with no success. It's my first time modding MK9 and I'm having trouble finding the correct files to mod.

So, where should I go to change the damage skins?

Thanks
Attachments
asdf.png

HowardC
Mortal

Re: Damaged skins with no blood/bruises

Post by HowardC »

It's pretty obvious... the "DMG" files are the damage. For the record, what you are wanting to do would prove quite difficult. Damage files are already a pain in the butt to match up properly, so editing the normal maps of the damage and getting it to seam together with the rest of the model would be hard to say the least.
johnlocke
Mortal

Post by johnlocke »

Thanks, I found the damage textures, however, just like you said, it's proving more challenging than I thought. The places where are just bruises and black eyes I managed to solve, however, places where are missing chunks of flesh turned out like the picture attached.

Where do I need to go to change the meshes of the damages?
Attachments
asdfa.png
HowardC
Mortal

Post by HowardC »

Ok I think we need to take a step back and make sure you know the basics. There are multiple files that make up a complete texture map..... diff, spec, pmsk, and normhqa.

Diff=color aka the "texture" as it's traditionally known. The alpha channel on a diff also controls which bits of the texture glow (white) which are normal (black) and which have their colors changed via 2 player selection (gray)

spec = the shine, aka what color and intensity the shine on the model is when light passes over a texture.

pmsk = material composition.... there are often generic repeated textures in a model, like leather or snakeskin ect and different colors in the pmsk tell the game which textures to apply.

normhqa = bump mapping. Light gouges and scratches are often done here.... to remove them select the generic organge color found in the blank areas and paint over the offending map in question. Don't forget the alpha!

As for meshes, we can't edit those, sorry.
johnlocke
Mortal

Post by johnlocke »

Wow, it WILL be a lot more complicated than I thought.
Thanks for the detailed explanation, I'm gonna try some more and post the updates.
HowardC
Mortal

Post by HowardC »

Last edited by HowardC on Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HowardC
Mortal

Post by HowardC »

Last edited by HowardC on Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HowardC
Mortal

Post by HowardC »

I should also note that on the diff files specifically, black in the alpha channel is sometimes used to make things transparent and when it comes to DMG files, this is always the case.
MFS
Warrior

Post by MFS »

I'm also interested in removing the damage from some characters. Especially from those who have these stupid popping eyes effect, like Smoke, MIleena_B etc. Unfortunately no one has done such mod as far as I know. But I found some interesting lines in char's NameTable files - "AppleCharDamageTrack", "DamageRegions" and a few others. Probably they are in charge of visible damage during the battle.
NameTable.png
This is NameTable of Jade_B, the number of damage index is 42, which is 2A in hex. Does anyone know how to find the address of this index in char's .XXX-file? Searching in hex editor is useless of course, as there'll be thousands of "2A" bytes. :)
Telegram: @mfskhaos
AlterL
Grand Master

Post by AlterL »

I don't know if I'm breaking any rules, but the easiest way to do this is to modify the main mesh in blender, first you need to identify the part of the body that you want to remove dmg from. MK9 skeletal meshes have 2 arms, 2 for hair, 4 head 6 in the torso area and 6 more in the legs, added to that is the internal organs and duplicated parts that show in game as both the regular model in the game as well as the dmg model, they're easy to identify because most of the time they're in the exact same place within the model, so now what anyone would have to do is copy the mesh of the regular skin and attach said copy to the main mesh, then delete every vertices but one of both the original mesh and the "damaged" mesh. so for example what you want to do is:
mesh_xxx- being an arm
mesh_xxy- being a piece of said arm, you're gonna copy and paste this in the exact same place then attach said copy to mesh_xxx
mesh_xyy being another piece of said arm, only this one shows the injury. you're gonna delete all vertices from this mesh but a single point as well as the original mesh_xxy in order not to show them in game.

afterwards you can just the skeletal mesh, import it into your char and be done with it.

Return to “Mortal Kombat 9 PC Modding Tutorials and Discussions”