How to update skins for 1.7 (Steam Version) [Tutorial]

cantmodmk
Mortal
Side: Darkness

How to update skins for 1.7 (Steam Version) [Tutorial]

Post by cantmodmk »

Not sure if this was already posted previously, but I thought it should become common knowledge. This was taught to me by alexanderfox so all credit goes to him. :D

All you will need is DLC Manager and the "Asset" folder from both the current and previous version.

The previous version of Asset can be found here.

Step 1: Open command prompt and change the directory to the "tools" folder found inside the "DLC" folder in "DiscContentPC" using the "cd" command.
Step 2: Move both the base character (whoever the modded character's moveset uses) from the old version and the modded character's XXX file.
Step 3: In command prompt type "decompress CHAR_YourBaseCharacterHere.xxx"
Step 4: Move the decompressed version of the base character from the "unpacked" folder (inside of tools) into the tools folder. (if it asks to replace just make sure you have a copy!)
Step 5: Using Command Prompt, type "bsdiff CHAR_YourBaseCharacterHere.xxx CHAR_ModdedCharacterHere.xxx CHAR_ModdedCharacterHere.xxx.diff". This will create a .diff file for your modded character. Be patient, this can take a few seconds.
Step 6: Add the base character (this time from the newer Steam version) into the tools folder and decompress with the same command "decompress CHAR_YourBaseCharacterHere.xxx"
Step 7: Last of all, type in Command Prompt "bspatch CHAR_YourBaseCharacterHere.xxx CHAR_ModdedCharacterHere.xxx CHAR_ModdedCharacterHere.xxx.diff" and it should ask you if you want bspatch.exe to make changes to your device, select yes and wait a bit.
Step 8: Last of all, use the updated .xxx to install the characters normally using DLC manager.

That's all, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! :)
Last edited by cantmodmk on Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fuck you (jk best regards), Temujin/cantmodmk
alexanderfox
Warrior
Side: Light

Re: How to update skins for 1.7 (Steam Version) [Tutorial]

Post by alexanderfox »

Nice tutorial. Thanks for writing this. It could seam complicated for some people but that's how i update the old skins. A little correction: you don't need to use the .diff file to install the updated mod. Only updated .xxx
cantmodmk
Mortal

Post by cantmodmk »

alexanderfox wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:21 pm Nice tutorial. Thanks for writing this. It could seam complicated for some people but that's how i update the old skins. A little correction: you don't need to use the .diff file to install the updated mod. Only updated .xxx
Thanks for the correction man! I think this is much simpler from the other way I read on how to update skins.
Gambid
Elder God
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

I just turned this topic into a sticky topic.

If someone is interested in updating existing skins, I can upload them next to the original skin in the same post. This way it would be easier for people to found the right version for them. If someone is interested, please just contact me.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
arena94
Mortal

Post by arena94 »

Hello
I am still trying to update the skins.
1. In step 7, when I run the commands, it does not ask me about the bspatch.exe file.
2. What does CHAR_YourBaseCharacterHere.xxx mean? Does that mean version 1.05 is the character we want to update?
3. I want to update Skinny and run it in version 1.07 mk9. And I have also downloaded the original 1.05 skins of the game.
cantmodmk
Mortal

Post by cantmodmk »

arena94 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:27 pm Hello
I am still trying to update the skins.
1. In step 7, when I run the commands, it does not ask me about the bspatch.exe file.
2. What does CHAR_YourBaseCharacterHere.xxx mean? Does that mean version 1.05 is the character we want to update?
3. I want to update Skinny and run it in version 1.07 mk9. And I have also downloaded the original 1.05 skins of the game.
Hi,

1. If it doesn't ask you it's most likely just windows setting, it should patch.
2. CHAR_YourBaseCharacterHere.xxx is the character the mod is based on, for example the Chameleon mod is based off of the Klassic Repptile, so that would be the character you ptu there.
3. I don't know what character that is so I don't know who the base character is.
noobmonkey
Mortal

Post by noobmonkey »

Hi, i have done your tut step by step but cant get my skins to work. What is update .xxx? pls help
GeorgeW22
Warrior
PSN: HUHUHEAHHAHAA
XBox Live: HEHIEHIAH

Post by GeorgeW22 »

noobmonkey wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:19 pm Hi, i have done your tut step by step but cant get my skins to work. What is update .xxx? pls help
update .xxx Is the CHAR Or character For example "CHAR_Kabal.xxx" Thats what .xxx means
"Still Learning"
FyeFR
Mortal

Post by FyeFR »

cantmodmk wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:50 pm Not sure if this was already posted previously, but I thought it should become common knowledge. This was taught to me by alexanderfox so all credit goes to him. :D

All you will need is DLC Manager and the "Asset" folder from both the current and previous version.

Step 1: Open command prompt and change the directory to the "tools" folder found inside the "DLC" folder in "DiscContentPC" using the "cd" command.
Step 2: Move both the base character (whoever the modded character's moveset uses) from the old version and the modded character's XXX file.
Step 4: Move the decompressed version of the base character from the "unpacked" folder (inside of tools) into the tools folder. (if it asks to replace just make sure you have a copy!)
Step 5: Using Command Prompt, type "bsdiff CHAR_YourBaseCharacterHere.xxx CHAR_ModdedCharacterHere.xxx CHAR_ModdedCharacterHere.xxx.diff". This will create a .diff file for your modded character. Be patient, this can take a few seconds.
Step 6: Add the base character (this time from the newer Steam version) into the tools folder and decompress with the same command "decompress CHAR_YourBaseCharacterHere.xxx"
Step 7: Last of all, type in Command Prompt "bspatch CHAR_YourBaseCharacterHere.xxx CHAR_ModdedCharacterHere.xxx CHAR_ModdedCharacterHere.xxx.diff" and it should ask you if you want bspatch.exe to make changes to your device, select yes and wait a bit.
Step 8: Last of all, use the updated .xxx to install the characters normally using DLC manager.

I dont think im doing something right after the bspatch i click yes and then nothing happens and it doesnt work
GeorgeW22
Warrior
PSN: HUHUHEAHHAHAA
XBox Live: HEHIEHIAH

Post by GeorgeW22 »

FyeFR wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:06 pm
cantmodmk wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:50 pm Not sure if this was already posted previously, but I thought it should become common knowledge. This was taught to me by alexanderfox so all credit goes to him. :D

I dont think im doing something right after the bspatch i click yes and then nothing happens and it doesnt work
have u tried seeing if u could use it ingame?
"Still Learning"
FyeFR
Mortal

Post by FyeFR »

GeorgeW22 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:00 pm
FyeFR wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:06 pm

have u tried seeing if u could use it ingame?
Yes the game just crashes
zepterrian
Grand Master

Post by zepterrian »

If someone struggles with pure cmd stuff try this instead:

DOWNLOAD FROM HERE

Detailed instructions are inside. Make sure to read them carefully if you are not used to mod.
You might be asked to give permission to use the patcher file so just allow it.

The guide written by cantmodmk is correct, but you might need a more user-friendly interface.
Attachments
ModUpdater.rar
(97.14 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Last edited by zepterrian on Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the raptor race...
Ghostharp
Mortal

Post by Ghostharp »

zepterrian wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:46 pm If someone struggles with pure cmd stuff try this instead:

ModUpdater.rar

Detailed instructions are inside. Make sure to read them carefully if you are not used to mod.

The guide written by cantmodmk is correct, but you might need a more user-friendly interface.
Does it update the "drag and drop into Asset folder" mods/replacer mods too? Or does it only work on DLC mods?
zepterrian
Grand Master

Post by zepterrian »

Ghostharp wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:17 am
zepterrian wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:46 pm If someone struggles with pure cmd stuff try this instead:

ModUpdater.rar

Does it update the "drag and drop into Asset folder" mods/replacer mods too? Or does it only work on DLC mods?
The drag and drop too.
For the raptor race...
Ghostharp
Mortal

Post by Ghostharp »

zepterrian wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:24 am
Ghostharp wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:17 am

ModUpdater.rar

The drag and drop too.
I think I'm doing it wrong at step 5. I'm supposed to have three files right? But I only have two, because I don't want to replace the other file that is there. To explain what I mean, I have the two decompressed files, but the old modded file has the same name as the second file I decompress, so it will bring up the prompt when I try to bring the mod in the folder. What do I do here?

Return to “Mortal Kombat 9 PC Modding Tutorials and Discussions”