MAKING A DLC FOR THE PS3

Pantelis
Mortal
Side: Light

MAKING A DLC FOR THE PS3

Post by Pantelis »

Guys,help me.I have recently created a new dlc character for mkke ps3.Everything seems alright,I took CHAR_SKARLET.XXX file and using decompress and extract,I edited her textures and all of that using photoshop and the MkPs3TextureBeta3 tool.Then I packed the file using the XXXREBUILDER.I also took the SKARLET_UI.XXX and edited her binaryblob and ladder images.Then I took both CHAR_SKARLKET.XXX and SKARLET_UI.XXX files into the MKKEGenericRenamer3.2 and renamed them(I ticked PS3 box and for the char file i ticked also the 'Fix Hashes').I also made the PS3-MK9GAME.INI and ENG files which they contain the right values,in the right format but everytime I open the game and go to the character select screen,the game freezes over the dlc area,more specifically at the NPC'S SELECT mod.Any help??????????I can show you my INI AND ENG FILES IF YOU WANT TO

MFS
Warrior

Re: MAKING A DLC FOR THE PS3

Post by MFS »

The same exact problem. It looks like the game "sees" that some new character appeared on the select screen, but its portrait is corrupted (invisible) and if I try to move the cursor to it, the game freezes. I even didn't do anything special, just remaned using MKKE Renamer as Pantelis did. I used FreddyKrueger_ui.xxx as a reference. I've also put all the info about the new char files (UI, Victory, "IsDLC" info etc.) in coalesced.ini, but no luck so far.

Probably someone after 1 year has passed found out something about this problem on PS3? :)
Telegram: @mfskhaos
MFS
Warrior

Post by MFS »

I found out how to add new DLC characters on PS3, so I guess I'll answer the question myself and probably will even help someone. Actually, the only mistake I've made is I added both "Is DLC=" and "IsOnDiscDLC" lines in MK9game.ini. But you should use only "IsDLC=" line without the second one, this worked for me.
Roi_1984
Mortal
PSN: GageRoi
XBox Live: GageRoi

Post by Roi_1984 »

MFS wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:06 pm I found out how to add new DLC characters on PS3, so I guess I'll answer the question myself and probably will even help someone. Actually, the only mistake I've made is I added both "Is DLC=" and "IsOnDiscDLC" lines in MK9game.ini. But you should use only "IsDLC=" line without the second one, this worked for me.
Can you tell me how you do it? sorry for asking I'm just having a bit of trouble and getting pissed off on how to add dlc characters to the game on ps3, I would read the post what the dude said but I have no clue on where the tools are and how he edited the binaryblob and coalesced
MFS
Warrior

Post by MFS »

Roi_1984 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:54 am
MFS wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:06 pm I found out how to add new DLC characters on PS3, so I guess I'll answer the question myself and probably will even help someone. Actually, the only mistake I've made is I added both "Is DLC=" and "IsOnDiscDLC" lines in MK9game.ini. But you should use only "IsDLC=" line without the second one, this worked for me.
Can you tell me how you do it? sorry for asking I'm just having a bit of trouble and getting pissed off on how to add dlc characters to the game on ps3, I would read the post what the dude said but I have no clue on where the tools are and how he edited the binaryblob and coalesced
Looks like there aren't many PS3 hackers here, so I'll try to explain.

1. So you take a character you want to make a DLC of (usually it's a meshswapped/recolored regular character). You open MKKE Generic Renamer 3.1 (program works both for PC and PS3), write down the name of the unpacked XXX-archive in the first line, name of character (it shows up in the beginning of the file if you open it in a hex editor. It looks like CHAR_Name) in the second one, and the new name (that the game will use) in the the third one. For example: CHAR_Newname. The new name shouldn't be longer than the original. You check two boxes: "PS3" and "Fix hashes". Click "Replace things". Done.
2. Now you should make UI for the new DLC character. Take the UI file of any official DLC character, for example FreddyKrueger_UI.xxx. Unpack the archive. (You'll need "decompress" program for the Unreal Engine archives. No problem to find in the net). Again use MK Renamer to change FreddyKrueger to the new name. No boxes are checked this time. At this point your new DLC character will use Freddy's UI (VS art etc.) as a placeholder. Of course you can change all the arts later.
3. You should put all the info about the new char in the Coalesced files. I attach the Coalesced tool to the post.
So, you get the original COALESCED.INI and -.ENG files from the original game. Click "Coalesced_export_PS3" and choose your files. Export both files.
Now you'll have "MK9game" folder.
4. Go to this folder. Let's give the name for your new character first. It can be longer than the codename you gave using the Renamer.
Go to Localization > eng (or maybe other language you wanna use) > MK9Game.eng.
Find the list with char names, it looks like "scorpion=SCORPION, char_scorpion=COSTUME 1..." and put your character here.
For example: newguy=JOHN WICK.
N.B. One important thing. Later in the game you may find out the the name was changed only in the character select screen and Nekropolis. But not in the actual game and in the lifebar. WTF? Well, the thing is that the game takes the char name for the lifebar and "...WINS" phrases from the XXX-archive itself. You can search it in the XXX using the hex editor. Usually it goes after "Name_CharIntro". You'll see the name of the original character. Change it and that's it.
5. After changing MK9game.eng & .XXX-file go to MK9Game folder > BuildCashePS3 > Config.
There're many files in this folder. We are interested in two: MK9Game.ini and MK9Editor.ini.
Let's first go to MK9Game.ini. Scroll it down a little and you'll see the list of DLC chars, so there we go. Put you char everywhere using other chars as a reference.

For example:
IsDLC=newguy (don't write "IsOnDiscDLC=..."! Only "IsDLC". At least it's the way it works in the disc version).
newguy=5006 (any unused number will do. It just sets the order your char icon will appear in the line of DLC chars on the character selection screen).
newguy=TRUE

6. Then go to MK9Editor.ini, find [CHARACTERLIST] and put your char here. For ex. PackageList=CHAR_Newguy. All the Fatalities, intros etc. (if needed) are also put here.

7. Now make new Coalesced files. Click "Coalesced_import_PS3" and choose both original files. They both should be in the same place with the "MK9Game" folder. You will get new Coalesced files with the prefix "NEW_...". Delete the prefix, but, of course save the original Coalesced somewhere as backups.
8. Go to PS3TOC.TXT file, it's in USRDIR folder of the game. Put your char with the exact size of his/her XXX-archive in the list, it should look like this:
13074432 0 0 ..\Asset\CHAR_NewGuy.xxx 0
Also change the sizes of both Coalesced files to the new ones. Don't forget to make a backup of your PS3TOC.

9. Actually that's it, put all the changed files to the game and check. If your character appeared in the screen with no glitches - congrats.

I see Mr Skull also gave you some info about the programs, changing the textures etc. It's not hard to find all the useful tools the the net, anyway.
I hoped I helped somehow. Good luck in all your journeys. :)
Attachments
Coalesced.rar
(830.04 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
Roi_1984
Mortal

Post by Roi_1984 »

MFS wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:47 am
Roi_1984 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:54 am
Looks like there aren't many PS3 hackers here, so I'll try to explain.

1. So you take a character you want to make a DLC of (usually it's a meshswapped/recolored regular character). You open MKKE Generic Renamer 3.1 (program works both for PC and PS3), write down the name of the unpacked XXX-archive in the first line, name of character (it shows up in the beginning of the file if you open it in a hex editor. It looks like CHAR_Name) in the second one, and the new name (that the game will use) in the the third one. For example: CHAR_Newname. The new name shouldn't be longer than the original. You check two boxes: "PS3" and "Fix hashes". Click "Replace things". Done.
2. Now you should make UI for the new DLC character. Take the UI file of any official DLC character, for example FreddyKrueger_UI.xxx. Unpack the archive. (You'll need "decompress" program for the Unreal Engine archives. No problem to find in the net). Again use MK Renamer to change FreddyKrueger to the new name. No boxes are checked this time. At this point your new DLC character will use Freddy's UI (VS art etc.) as a placeholder. Of course you can change all the arts later.
3. You should put all the info about the new char in the Coalesced files. I attach the Coalesced tool to the post.
So, you get the original COALESCED.INI and -.ENG files from the original game. Click "Coalesced_export_PS3" and choose your files. Export both files.
Now you'll have "MK9game" folder.
4. Go to this folder. Let's give the name for your new character first. It can be longer than the codename you gave using the Renamer.
Go to Localization > eng (or maybe other language you wanna use) > MK9Game.eng.
Find the list with char names, it looks like "scorpion=SCORPION, char_scorpion=COSTUME 1..." and put your character here.
For example: newguy=JOHN WICK.
N.B. One important thing. Later in the game you may find out the the name was changed only in the character select screen and Nekropolis. But not in the actual game and in the lifebar. WTF? Well, the thing is that the game takes the char name for the lifebar and "...WINS" phrases from the XXX-archive itself. You can search it in the XXX using the hex editor. Usually it goes after "Name_CharIntro". You'll see the name of the original character. Change it and that's it.
5. After changing MK9game.eng & .XXX-file go to MK9Game folder > BuildCashePS3 > Config.
There're many files in this folder. We are interested in two: MK9Game.ini and MK9Editor.ini.
Let's first go to MK9Game.ini. Scroll it down a little and you'll see the list of DLC chars, so there we go. Put you char everywhere using other chars as a reference.

For example:
IsDLC=newguy (don't write "IsOnDiscDLC=..."! Only "IsDLC". At least it's the way it works in the disc version).
newguy=5006 (any unused number will do. It just sets the order your char icon will appear in the line of DLC chars on the character selection screen).
newguy=TRUE

6. Then go to MK9Editor.ini, find [CHARACTERLIST] and put your char here. For ex. PackageList=CHAR_Newguy. All the Fatalities, intros etc. (if needed) are also put here.

7. Now make new Coalesced files. Click "Coalesced_import_PS3" and choose both original files. They both should be in the same place with the "MK9Game" folder. You will get new Coalesced files with the prefix "NEW_...". Delete the prefix, but, of course save the original Coalesced somewhere as backups.
8. Go to PS3TOC.TXT file, it's in USRDIR folder of the game. Put your char with the exact size of his/her XXX-archive in the list, it should look like this:
13074432 0 0 ..\Asset\CHAR_NewGuy.xxx 0
Also change the sizes of both Coalesced files to the new ones. Don't forget to make a backup of your PS3TOC.

9. Actually that's it, put all the changed files to the game and check. If your character appeared in the screen with no glitches - congrats.

I see Mr Skull also gave you some info about the programs, changing the textures etc. It's not hard to find all the useful tools the the net, anyway.
I hoped I helped somehow. Good luck in all your journeys. :)
Thx for the tutorial really helpful but Have you managed to get the binaryblobs working? I've been trying but keeps getting a black screen after going to into the player select screen
MFS
Warrior

Post by MFS »

Yeah, actually it turned out to be not that hard.
1. Take original BinaryBlobJPEG file and put a dot before .JPEG. Now the file will be read by Photoshop.
2. Change your file in PS and save it as JPEG 2000 Standard. The size should be less than the size of the original, so decrease quality a little.
If you change Alpha channel, you can make even zero quality, it won't be noticable in the game.
3. Open your new file in Hex editor and paste first 12 bytes (bytes before "FF D8 FF...") from the original file.
4. That's it, now just insert your new file in XXX. You may use MK Generic Injector or Hex editor if you know the address.
So don't use MK Jpeg Fix (or whatever it is called) tool, it's for the PC version. Without it the game should work.

What I'm personally interested in is that many graphic files have kinda duplicates ending with "_N". Like Mainmenu.xxx & Mainmenu_N.xxx. Pause_Menu.xxx & Pause_Menu_N.xxx etc. What's that "N" for and what do they do? Maybe they are for online (N - Network, just my guess)? Cuz I never change them and have no problems.
Roi_1984
Mortal

Post by Roi_1984 »

MFS wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:48 am Yeah, actually it turned out to be not that hard.
1. Take original BinaryBlobJPEG file and put a dot before .JPEG. Now the file will be read by Photoshop.
2. Change your file in PS and save it as JPEG 2000 Standard. The size should be less than the size of the original, so decrease quality a little.
If you change Alpha channel, you can make even zero quality, it won't be noticable in the game.
3. Open your new file in Hex editor and paste first 12 bytes (bytes before "FF D8 FF...") from the original file.
4. That's it, now just insert your new file in XXX. You may use MK Generic Injector or Hex editor if you know the address.
So don't use MK Jpeg Fix (or whatever it is called) tool, it's for the PC version. Without it the game should work.

What I'm personally interested in is that many graphic files have kinda duplicates ending with "_N". Like Mainmenu.xxx & Mainmenu_N.xxx. Pause_Menu.xxx & Pause_Menu_N.xxx etc. What's that "N" for and what do they do? Maybe they are for online (N - Network, just my guess)? Cuz I never change them and have no problems.
Thanks might try get this to work later on but one more question so do I have to create a binaryblob for a new dlc character? example like I want to have johnnycages binaryblob on the new character
MFS
Warrior

Post by MFS »

do I have to create a binaryblob for a new dlc character? example like I want to have johnnycages binaryblob on the new character
First you must take the UI file of one of the official DLC characters - Skarlet, Kenshi etc. These files have different assets including VS-screens (BinaryBlob files).
Check part 2 of my first tutorial:
You can extract all the image files from the _UI.XXX with Gildor "extract" tool (just Google "ue3 gildor extract"), BinaryBlobs will be among them. Now you can change them in Photoshop however you want, change to Johnny Cage or paint your own. Just change the extension to .JPEG.
Pantelis
Mortal
Side: Light

Post by Pantelis »

Hi Everyone,its been a while since I've made this thread and just saw your replies to my old question and I'm quite impressed since then I did managed to figure it out and even gain some knowledge about the BloodColor and Sound Files even managed to add new things inside an expanded XXX archive with some help from a friend.Eventually I started messing up with it again but since MKX and 11 are out,many people are slowly getting bored of this one (even some great techies like TheThiny or UncleFester,Ermacer etc etc).Thank you MFS😚 for your take in regards to adding DLC'S and Costumes,it is indeed unique and I agree with all the things you said except the part of editing the Coalesced files.We are generally don't edit the game COALESCED.INI or COALESCED.ENG files (As we do to the PC version of the game).Just use them as a reference unless it is only useful(minor to zero chance) since most modding and altering can be done outside of these two particular ones and on individual files.The same goes for PS3TOC.TXT as well since it takes one fault and then the game freezes again.So it is best to avoid messing with the original internal COALESCED files since they are essential for the game to run and you likely need backups in case something goes south😛.What I like to do and many other people is simply create a folder called DLC inside your console's hdd0/game/release-region number(meine says BLUS30902)/USRDIR folder and place your new characters files there,instead of editing the COALESCED for such reason.It still works that way (don't know why) without no issues as done with the BOSSES MOD.You just create a folder (name it however you want) and then place everything in there including his CHAR,UI,FATALITY,SND.XXX files,everything that you need for a complete character.You also want to create a file called _PS3-MK9GAME.INI and another one called _MK9GAME.ENG and put in both ones your characters name in capital letters,for ex if your new dlc is named Daegon,just create a DAEGON_PS3-MK9GAME.INI and a DAEGON_MK9GAME.ENG file and then place them inside your DLC folder as well containing all files altogether.From now on the same principals apply (in your DAEGON_PS3-MK9GAME.INI put [Player] then add the plus + icon,then type +IsDLC=daegon.Leave some space,then again put [Player.DownloadContentUnlocked] line then add the +daegon=TRUE command which is needed for all DLC characters (skarlet,freddy,rain,kenshi and some skins) except all the other players.Again leave a space or two and then type [Player.DownloadContentID] then add the +daegon=number(check original COALESCED.INI file for number since you DO NOT want to use any values or numbers which are taken inside the game for example you cannot use ID 4001 since this is rain's character ID but you can use 4002 or later-else.Don't worry since this will only change the position of the portrait inside the Player Select Screen.Basicallyn from what I understand the higher the number means the portrait is moved more towards the left side of the screen and the smaller the value is exactly the opposite.All you do just make sure your new ID is original and new.That's it for the INI file (if you want you can add as you said another lines and brackets such as [CHARACTERLIST],[INTROLIST],[FATALITYLIST],[CHAR_DAEGON] +BabyName=NPC_Daegon_Baby,+BabyScript=NPC_Daegon_Baby.mko (if you have and want to add an NPC BABY file for your character which is basically the babality) but it is not required as well as all these lines before and such but I find that you only need those three lines mentioned [Player],[Player.DownloadContentUnlocked] and [Player.DownloadContentID] for a DLC on the PS3 to be playable.One last final file we have to edit now is our DAEGON_MK9GAME.ENG file which contains the characters name as well as some other things.Just find and add the [PlayerSelect] line as seen on the original .ENG and then your name in small letters for ex. daegon=DAEGON (this will be the name that shows up in the PlayerSelect-Rooster Screen,MovesList,Lifebar and AnnouncerWin) and type it without any crosses ++ this time.Then press space and type underneath char_daegon=COSTUME 1,that is for number of costumes.You can add as many as you want,just name them appropriately (example daegon=DAEGON,then char_daegon=COSTUME 1,then char_daegon_b=COSTUME 2) and it should work.And that's it you just created a new working character to be played and be selected by the game on the ladder as well.You can also add the [Bios] and [Endings] lines inside the MK9GAME.ENG file but it is not any more usefull unless you plan on showcasing him inside Nekropolis.Endings I guess are the subtitles you see,the moment you beat Shao and an ending movie plays with the narrator speaking about the player with arts and animated ui's in addition with the LADDER.XXX file but to make it proper you would also had to to create him new animation ui's with pictures and effects which is impossible and a custom narration like the ones located inside the SND_MUS_VO_ENDINGS,so pointless.One day I will also make a tutorial on how to sucessfully swap intros,outros,fatalities,sound files(limited), etc but right now I'm very busy with things and life just gets harder I guess with college and work😝🥲
fabrizio34
Mortal

Post by fabrizio34 »

Any kind person who can teach me how to edit DLC portraits? and what program do I need?

Return to “Mortal Kombat 9 PS3 Modding”