Mortal Kombat (2011) & Mortal Kombat VC DC Universe Added To The XBox Backwards Compatible List

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Mortal Kombat (2011) & Mortal Kombat VC DC Universe Added To The XBox Backwards Compatible List

Post by Gambid »

Yesterday Microsoft kicked off its celebration of Xbox's 20th anniversary with a special online event. Part of it was the announcement that XBox is expanding its backwards compatibility catalogue, adding to it a significant number of XBox and XBox 360 titles. The video mentioned titles like the Max Payne games and the F.E.A.R. franchise.

However what it failed to mention was that among those titles are two very dear games to each and every Mortal Kombat fan. And those are Mortal Kombat 9 (2011) and Mortal Kombat VS. DC Universe. You definitely read that correctly the two games have been finally added to the list of compatible games and are now fully playable on XBox One and XBox Series X/S consoles. What is good about XBox's backwards compatibility program is that, if you already own the games, you can just put the disc in and play then.
Image Image
This marks a legendary moment in the history of the Mortal Kombat franchise as the 4 modern titles, Mortal Kombat VS. DC Universe, Mortal Kombat 9 (2011), Mortal Kombat X and Mortal Kombat 11 have been brought together and are natively playable on the same platform for the very first time. Things were getting difficult, especially for Mortal Kombat VS. DC Universe, which was stuck on XBox 360 and PlayStation 3, while Mortal Kombat 9 (2011) has a PC version in addition which made things a bit more bearable for the fans.

Both games benefit from higher resolution, faster to non-existing loading times, auto HDR, etc.. depending on the console you are using. In other words, they look better than they have ever looked before.

What needs to be mentioned here is however the fact, that both games are as of right now not available on the digital store, so you will need a disc in order to play them.

It is kind of interesting that there doesn't seem to be any information, statement or announcement regarding the release from Netherrealm Studios and/or WB Games.

We are however extremely excited and cannot wait for these games to meet a whole new generation of fans. A bit of a trivia here, Mortal Kombat VS. DC Universe was the last Mortal Kombat game to be released under the Midway banner, so seeing that logo flashing on my XBox Series X sure brought back memories.

I would like to say thanks to MKSecrets member ZXT-92 for the heads-up on this news.

Don't forget to visit our sections for those two games, where you can learn everything about them: Mortal Kombat VS. DC Universe, Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)

Did you like this update? Then follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Discord.

I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Roy Arkon
God
Side: Darkness
PSN: RoyArkon46

Re: Mortal Kombat (2011) & Mortal Kombat VC DC Universe Added To The XBox Backwards Compatible List

Post by Roy Arkon »

Those are fantastic news indeed. As a PlayStation player myself, I can't deny that Microsoft does the better job at some areas, and backwards computability is one of them. Having all of the latest 4 MK games on one platform is huge.

On a side note though, nothing was difficult for either one of those games. MK Vs. DC and MK9 both sold very well, them being on only two consoles wasn't as problem for them, and MK9 got it's PC port after IJ1 was already released. Nothing was difficult for the success of those games.

Oh and Ed Boon did gave it a small notion by retweeting someone's Tweet about getting MK9 with this update. Just so you know.
No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome
Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Re: Mortal Kombat (2011) & Mortal Kombat VC DC Universe Added To The XBox Backwards Compatible List

Post by Gambid »

Yes, he did somehow pointed to the release, if it can be called a release. But you would thing that something as significant as that from a preservation point of view will get a better recognition.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Roy Arkon
God
Side: Darkness
PSN: RoyArkon46

Post by Roy Arkon »

Gambid wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:42 pm Yes, he did somehow pointed to the release, if it can be called a release. But you would thing that something as significant as that from a preservation point of view will get a better recognition.
Yeah it could've had more advertisement, but it still did caught everyone's attention so everything's good I guess.
No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome

Return to “News Articles”