The Moment Scorpion's Iconic Spear Move Was Born

Roy Arkon
God
Side: Darkness
PSN: RoyArkon46

The Moment Scorpion's Iconic Spear Move Was Born

Post by Roy Arkon »

Next year, on October 8th, 2022, it will be the 30th anniversary of the Mortal Kombat franchise, when Mortal Kombat 1 was brought into the Arcades and changed the video games world forever on October 8th, 1992. However, 1991 was the year in which Ed Boon, John Tobias and the MK started working on the game. As this year, 2021, marks the 30th anniversary for the creation of MK1, Ed Boon decided to celebrate the occasion by sharing an insanely rare behind-the-scenes footage of the creation of Scorpion's iconic Spear move for that game, with Denial Pesina of course portraying Scorpion and performing the move, while Boon and Tobias talking in the background and giving him guidance.
Boon then goes on to give the full story of the creation for Scorpion's Spear, like what was the design philosophy behind and what were the technical difficulties behind it, and gives it a very long Twitter thread:
Boon then finishes the thread (no pun intended) that he hopes to share more rare behind-the-scene footage as we get closer to the 30th anniversary of the MK series.
Of course, Tobias doesn't stay behind and gives his side of the story, how Boon's Spear idea didn't go well with Tobias' ideas for both Scorpion and Sub-Zero as it wasn't a fire themed move, while Sub-Zero of course used Ice themed moves.
Yep, it was indeed a fantastic idea. And of course, Scorpion had the Toasty Fatality, and eventually ended up using fire themed special moves mid-match as well in later games. So everything went just perfect :mrgreen:

We can all surely hope that we will see more videos like this in the near future, as we get closer to the the 30th anniversary of the Mortal Kombat series, and perhaps something even bigger and more special at the end of the road.

Did you like this update? Then follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Discord.

No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome
Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Re: The Moment Scorpion's Iconic Spear Move Was Born

Post by Gambid »

Oh, that's nice. A kick ass documentary for the 30th anniversary would be really nice. Something like a 30 hours documentary or series may be ;)
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Roy Arkon
God
Side: Darkness
PSN: RoyArkon46

Re: The Moment Scorpion's Iconic Spear Move Was Born

Post by Roy Arkon »

Gambid wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:34 pm Oh, that's nice. A kick ass documentary for the 30th anniversary would be really nice. Something like a 30 hours documentary or series may be ;)
I see what you did there :lol:
No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome

Return to “News Articles”