End of Support For Mortal Kombat 11 Announced

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

End of Support For Mortal Kombat 11 Announced

Post by Gambid »

Months and months of speculations regarding new skins and Kombat Pack 3 for Mortal Kombat 11 have finally come to an end. Earlier today, Netherrealm Studios, which remained completely silent on the matter for all these months, announced over Twitter that the studio is now focusing on their next project and that support for Mortal Kombat 11 has officially ended.
What the post does not clarify is what this means in practice. No more DLC? No more balance patches and fixes? Both?

We will follow the story as it develops and inform you as soon as we learn something new.

Did you like this update? Then follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Discord.

I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Roy Arkon
God
Side: Darkness
PSN: RoyArkon46

Re: End of Support For Mortal Kombat 11 Announced

Post by Roy Arkon »

Well now we got the answer. It just so sad that the community had to harass NRS/WB to beyond extreme levels. I imagine that they didn't respond back up until now because they probably wanted to be super cautions with their actions. MK11 is the most supported MK game of all time like they said it would be, and while the desire to get more content is understandable, the way that the community handled it is unacceptable.

I will keep playing the game for the time being, there is still stuff for me to do with it, just goes to show how good and rich MK11 is.
Last edited by Roy Arkon on Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome
Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

The subject is in fact very touchy. Mortal Kombat 11 was supported the longest, yes, but not much longer than Mortal Kombat X.

Most of the other fighters have been supported a lot longer, which is kind of disappointing to many, when you consider that Mortal Kombat 11 is the only AAA fighter that we have these days (my opinion).

With this said, I do believe that more content was planned, and then the current world situation happened.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Roy Arkon
God
Side: Darkness
PSN: RoyArkon46

Post by Roy Arkon »

Gambid wrote:The subject is in fact very touchy. Mortal Kombat 11 was supported the longest, yes, but not much longer than Mortal Kombat X.

Most of the other fighters have been supported a lot longer, which is kind of disappointing to many, when you consider that Mortal Kombat 11 is the only AAA fighter that we have these days (my opinion).

With this said, I do believe that more content was planned, and then the current world situation happened.
MK11 is indeed the only true AAA fighting game we have, as NRS/WB are the only company that makes AAA fighting games right now. And one of the main reasons of that, if not the main reason, is that they give the right amount of content at launch, both in terms of quality and quantity, unlike the other fighting games that do get longer support, but either get a too small amount of content at launch even if it's at high quality, or getting the right amount of quantity of content but not at the right level of quality, or perhaps even both, while still being priced at launch for a full AAA price.

I myself didn't buy any Japanese fighting games over the previous console gen (PS4/XB1) aside from DBFZ and SC6, and even these games got only the right amount of quantity of content at launch, but the quality was at an AAA level only in some areas while in the rest of them they were lackluster if not even at an abysmal level. That's not the case with MK11 or any other NRS/WB title.

I for one would much rather get a game which it's launch content is on point and gets a very good post-release support even if it's just two years, than a game that gets a 7 year support but couldn't get enough high quality content of an AAA game if it wasn't for the post-release content filling the game up. And to be honest, having a game for more than 4 years of support, at least to me is way too long of a support period anyway.

And yes COVID did have something to do with this. The thing about COVID is that it didn't affect Japan as much as it affected the US. I actually only today learned that Japan hasn’t been subject to lockdown for longer than a few weeks in the entire last year and a half, while US still has some issues.
No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome

Return to “News Articles”