Question on Klassic ninjas

polyneutron
Mortal
Side: Darkness

Question on Klassic ninjas

Post by polyneutron »

Hey everybody! It seems to me that nobody asked that before (*or I just failed at using search... But I tried and haven't found anything). I doubted that someone had already addressed the problem, so the question is:

- Is it possible to make Klassic ninjas'... umm... "shoulder pad" things look "more Klassic" than they are now? I mean, just like in MK3? They DO look good but not as similar as one would think.
Here are some pics I grabbed via Google to illustrate my question (*I'm bad at painting, I know. Sorry about that. But I wanted to give a brief look on how and where MK X's Klassic skins actually DO NOT look like MK3' ones.)

Here you can see Klassic MK3 Scorpion. Notice how the "shoulder pads" look alike, their length is almost the same here. In MK9 (*PS Vita) they're almost the same as in MK3, which marks a perfect design work from NRS. (*Still a PS Vita exclusive, which couldn't be possibly ported/ modded on PC. Shame! Sorry, that was off-topic.)

(*Please note that original image was too small, I apologize for the quality of it. Also, I didn't mark "shoulder pads" there because I thought they were too obvious to see the similarity between these and above-mentioned MK3' "shoulder pads".)

And here's MKX' Klassic Scorpion. Notice how his "shoulder pads" look totally different where the "lower one" is so tiny compared to the "upper one". How on Earth this ended up being a "Klassic" skin? I mean, c'mon NRS, why is that?

Having no clue how you, modders, make your skins/ redesigns/ or whatever you make (*which is always awesome, and I really respect what you guys do!) - I don't quite sure if this "length difference" can be fixed by reskinning the texture, making unique normal maps, or something - I don't know. I'm just asking - is it possible to make the "kimono" look better in terms of those "should pad" things.

-There might be some things related to different points of view in different games, different char poses, etc. but I assume it's really a design flaw here. In short, I'm asking "Is it possible to simply clone MK3 ninja design/ reproduce a 100% accurate replica in MKX?"

P.S. There're few little things I'd like to note, too. These aren't that important for me (if you ask me), so I excluded them from the "wishlist" and put them into the P.S. section.
1). Have a look at the nose/ lips zone of the MK3' mask. Then look at the mask appeared in MKX.
They look a bit different as well.

And I know, there're many mods here, even mask mods, but I haven't seen any with a proper carbon copy of that nose/ lips zone. If such a thing is possible, of course.

2) Finally, the "shoulder" zone where the difference is obvious (*I think so).
In both MK3 (#1 on the pic) and Vita's MK9 (#2 on the pic) these look almost identical, there is a small "part" of the 3rd "shoulder pad" out there, while in MKX (#3 on the pic) - there is that HUGE pad. As for me, I think it looks too big that it becomes ugly.

Also, MK3 and Vita's MK9 skins have that "sharp" feel when it comes to describing the shoulder silhouette. Imagine MK3 ninja from the front - you'll get the idea, they're shaped almost triangulated. Whereas in MKX shoulder borders are more "curved", which is probably more realistic - but still not the same as in MK3 (from where these skins actually are).

I'm not implying it's a "bad" design, I'm just stating that it's not as Klassic, as it should be.

Really sorry for sugh a gigantic post, but I wanted to make it as detailed as possible. Let me know what you think, and have a nice day!

zepterrian
Grand Master
Side: Light

Re: Question on Klassic ninjas

Post by zepterrian »

well i agree in most of the things you talked about.. an mk fan would hope his favourite chars to look exactly as he knew them the first time (specially the ninjas) but in some cases a new design is better than an older one. As an example, reptile is my favourite ninja (along with smoke and noob saibot :)) and i loved his alt costume in mk9 so much than i thought nothing else could be better.. ERROR.. now i see this new mkx reptile and i think..."hell, how could i be so blinded!!???. This is 1.000.000 times better than i have ever expected". To be honest i like that variation of size in those "pads". That new design in the costume is not that bad. It still preserves the original "idea" an introduces some innovation that makes it cool. But i have something against this klassic; i don´t like the head of the ninja too much, i´m not saying i hate it, of course but comparing it to the original, that older one is much better than this new one. the original classic ninja seems to be more "dangerous" and rude. you can see it´s "assassin"´s personality there. You don´t perceive the same with this new classics (except with Reptile. Good thing he is my favourite). You see them and say that they are just a recolored skin, thought that´s what they are indeed.. but i´m afraid we´ll have to live with this.. that´s my opinion anyway
..leaving these philosophical words aside i gotta admit, for now, that nothing can surpass the original classics..but i guess that´s what some modders work for..
For the raptor race...
polyneutron
Mortal

Post by polyneutron »

I'm really sorry for not replying here, honestly I was just expecting some modders (like @thethiny, @UncleFestor, @HowardC, and others) to show up here. Yeah, kinda silly of me, I know :D)
zepterrian wrote:It still preserves the original "idea" an introduces some innovation that makes it cool.
I agree, even though it's technically not a 100% "Komplete" copy, it's still a neat skin. And, it might be that devs just tried to recreate those outfits more accurately in terms of real life physics. Like, say, if it's still a clothing it should physically act (and look!) like a believable clothing.
zepterrian wrote:<...> the original classic ninja seems to be more "dangerous" and rude. you can see it´s "assassin"´s personality there.
Totally agree, but again I think it's more likely a matter of our perception of these things. It's always a bit tricky when it comes to compare originals and "replicas" based on the originals, no matter how actually good these "replicas" are.

As of now, seeing a great progress in modding field personally I have high hopes in modders, so I guess we'll have to wait for awesome things to happen. :D
thethiny
Immortal
PSN: thethiny
XBox Live: thethiny

Post by thethiny »

You can't, they need model change which we can't do yet.

All of my Mortal Kombat 11 Mods are now unified under a Single Thread. Click The Image to go to the thread.
Noob Cyborg
Immortal

Post by Noob Cyborg »

polyneutron wrote:...
Good point, Man!
"I am Goro! General to the armies of Outworld and Prince to the subterrianian realm of Shokahn..."ImageImage
Aksel04izek
Warrior

Post by Aksel04izek »

Contact me via Image
polyneutron
Mortal

Post by polyneutron »

Although I know this is the most accurate UMK3 recreation in MKX (at the moment), and I deeply respect @omegamathaus, I like his works, ...
but because of the mesh (and the way those "costume pads" are arranged, "sculpted" there) -- it's clear to see how the actual "pads" are still there, they're just "colored over". Too bad we can't edit/ deform the actual mesh to remove those. :((

* I marked the most notable examples, where those "indentations" (for a lack of better word I used Google Translator. I'm a terrible person. Probably.) are clearly observable.
Attachments
UMK3 SUBZERO.jpg
thethiny
Immortal
PSN: thethiny
XBox Live: thethiny

Post by thethiny »

As I said before, we can't modify the models yet. Maybe if tetzrep decides to hop on the MKXL wagon, he will make it happen.

All of my Mortal Kombat 11 Mods are now unified under a Single Thread. Click The Image to go to the thread.

Return to “Mortal Kombat X Mod and Skin Requests”