User friendly MKX Coalesced Extract & Repack

UncleFestor
Grand Master
Side: Darkness

Re: User friendly MKX Coalesced Extract & Repack

Post by UncleFestor »

duc5 wrote:UncleFestor wouldn't it be more accurate to take the those skins from [UnlockBit.Page1] and put them in [UnlockBit.Page0] ?
No it would not. UnlockBit.Page {whatever} is what tells the game the keys to look for & where when unlocking through either gameplay or external ini {DLC addoncontent}.

For the former {Gameplay} the unlocks are then stored in the save file, instead of being written to an ini.

They way we did it was to tell the game everything that is to be unlocked by default {Without requiring any action through gameplay}

That's why there are already sections defined in the ini with characters & such as those are what's initially available for gameplay.

Check out my Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/unclefestorable
Kappa322
Mortal

Post by Kappa322 »

UncleFestor wrote:Okay. The mobile skins have the suffix _m

So it would be CHAR_Mileena_M & CHAR_Kitana_M

So, open X64-MK10game.ini in notepad++ & search for : unlocked.characters

Place those 2 costumes in the bottom of that list & save the ini

then just repack your coalesced.
thank you very much it worked! the way i understand ir if id unlock them with mobile for real it would make the same ini modification you just did, is that correct? i mean this "unlock" is fully legit
UncleFestor
Grand Master

Post by UncleFestor »

No, it's not. It would unlock directly in the save file {I believe after syncing your mobile app with steam}.

That's why the other unlocker for the mobile skins that was floating around didn't work for retail versions Cause it was an external ini. I have no idea why the DLC skins were not working {Never really looked into it too much}.

*EDIT*

Neither the Game nor Steam write to the coalesced.

First of all you can't write to that file directly the only way is to unpack it then repack it otherwise it gets corrupted.
Zentsuken
Mortal
Side: Light

Post by Zentsuken »

This is great, it will prove very handy in the near future. Thanks for the release bud!
duc5
Mortal

Post by duc5 »

UncleFestor wrote:
duc5 wrote:UncleFestor wouldn't it be more accurate to take the those skins from [UnlockBit.Page1] and put them in [UnlockBit.Page0] ?
No it would not. UnlockBit.Page {whatever} is what tells the game the keys to look for & where when unlocking through either gameplay or external ini {DLC addoncontent}.

For the former {Gameplay} the unlocks are then stored in the save file, instead of being written to an ini.

They way we did it was to tell the game everything that is to be unlocked by default {Without requiring any action through gameplay}

That's why there are already sections defined in the ini with characters & such as those are what's initially available for gameplay.
Got it, thanks
Sablicious
Apprentice

Post by Sablicious »

Having trouble re-packing the ini -- https://i.imgur.com/5XdK4r8.jpg

Tried re-packing with the repack.bat and the quickbms.exe, but I get an error with each... (*I changed the "GameSpeed" from 1.00000 to 0.90000 in both the "Coalesced.ini" and the "$StartupCacheDir$\Config\X64-MK10Game.ini" files the extractor spat out)

Any chance of a step-by-step tutorial for us noobs?

EDIT:
I managed to repack the file, but the game won't launch with the simple mod I outlined above. Am I meant to repack both the "Coalesced.ini" AND the folder contents, or just the former / latter?
Last edited by Sablicious on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
alfamega
Mortal
XBox Live: alfamega

Post by alfamega »

UncleFestor you are the best! Thanks so much man!
DocX
Warrior

Post by DocX »

Wow nice!! Way to go man!!
UncleFestor
Grand Master

Post by UncleFestor »

Sablicious wrote:Having trouble re-packing the ini -- https://i.imgur.com/5XdK4r8.jpg

Tried re-packing with the repack.bat and the quickbms.exe, but I get an error with each... (*I changed the "GameSpeed" from 1.00000 to 0.90000 in both the "Coalesced.ini" and the "$StartupCacheDir$\Config\X64-MK10Game.ini" files the extractor spat out)

Any chance of a step-by-step tutorial for us noobs?

EDIT:
I managed to repack the file, but the game won't launch with the simple mod I outlined above. Am I meant to repack both the "Coalesced.ini" AND the folder contents, or just the former / latter?
You can NOT directly edit any Coalesced. Only the unpacked .ini's so just the latter :)
UncleFestor
Grand Master

Post by UncleFestor »

Thanks for the comments everyone, but I can't take credit for this one. All credit goes to : n97t7f7b57f
Sablicious
Apprentice

Post by Sablicious »

UncleFestor wrote:You can NOT directly edit any Coalesced. Only the unpacked .ini's so just the latter :)
Okay. So... tell me if I'm doing it right:

1. I place the Coalesced.ini from the "Config" folder of the game into the "Original" folder that comes with the tool package.
2. Using the Extract.bat tool, I extract the Coalesced.ini to the "Extract" folder.
3. It spits out two files -- a decrypted Coalesced.ini and a folder called "$StartupCacheDir$" with more folders and then INI files inside it.
4. I use Notepad to edit the X64-MK10Game.ini file's "GameSpeed" parameter from 1.00000 to 0.90000.
5. I open Quickemb.exe and select the plugin "MK_10_text_binar.bms" (*it's the only one that will repack without error for me)
6. I highlight BOTH the Coalesced.ini and the "$StartupCacheDir$" folder.
7. I select an output folder and repack these files -- success!
8. I replace the new, repacked, single Coalesced.ini to the game's "Config" folder and launch the game...
9. The game won't launch! :x

Where am I going wrong? This method worked for MK9... Is more than one file required to be modded to change the game speed? :|
UncleFestor
Grand Master

Post by UncleFestor »

Yeah, you're doing way more than what needs to be done.

Steps :
1. Place the Coalesced.ini from the "Config" folder of the game into the "Original" folder that comes with the tool package.

2. Double-Click Extract.bat

3. Use Notepad++ to edit the X64-MK10Game.ini file's "GameSpeed" parameter from 1.00000 to 0.90000.

4. Double-Click Repack.bat

5. Your new Coalesced will be in the Output folder

EDIT :
So, just to clarify a little bit on why what you're doing doesn't work

1st. You can't reimport using Quickbms.exe without the correct options. To reimport you need to define -w -r {Write to file & reimport respectively }

2nd. That binary script is only for the encryption key.

3rd. You don't select multiple files when reimporting. Only the file you want to reimport/patch to. So in your case you would only select the decrypted Coalesced.ini & NOT both that & the folder.

HOWEVER all the work has already been done. So using the included batch files is the quickest, easiest & safest way.
thenyo
Mortal

Post by thenyo »

How exactly are you supposed to do this? When I extract the Coalsced I get another Coalsced in the Extract folder. Btw im trying to pick and choose what I want to unlock and I'd like to do it on my own ini.

I am only trying to unlock specific alternate skins. Is there anyway to tell which ones are which?
UncleFestor
Grand Master

Post by UncleFestor »

You can not edit any coalesced file directly. If you do you'll corrupt it. You can only edit the individual .ini files that get extracted from the Coalesced.

Costumes are recognizable by their suffix & are defined inside each localization file {Language files} so you'll need to unpack that file & read it's contents to find the costumes you want to add.

The steps for unpacking/repacking Coalesced files is the same no matter which one you're working with.

The ONLY 2 files you need to use for unpacking/repacking are the Extract/Repack.bat files.

To edit the .ini that you want {the one extracted from the Coalesced} it's easiest to use Notepad++.

Once you run repack.bat the new file with your edited ini's will be in the output folder
Sablicious
Apprentice

Post by Sablicious »

UncleFestor wrote:Yeah, you're doing way more than what needs to be done.
Steps :
1. Place the Coalesced.ini from the "Config" folder of the game into the "Original" folder that comes with the tool package.
2. Double-Click Extract.bat
3. Use Notepad++ to edit the X64-MK10Game.ini file's "GameSpeed" parameter from 1.00000 to 0.90000.
4. Double-Click Repack.bat
5. Your new Coalesced will be in the Output folder
Ahhh! So easy! :lol:

Thanks a lot. The game is far more fun at a more measured pace... even allows for some combos that didn't work at 100% 'Benny Hill Show' pace!
Sidebar:
Is there any way to edit individual character traits - like damage, speed etc - as with the "Ono!" tool used for SFIV? Would this require unpacking the actual character asset files or are these parameters located elsewhere?
thenyo wrote:How exactly are you supposed to do this? When I extract the Coalsced I get another Coalsced in the Extract folder. Btw im trying to pick and choose what I want to unlock and I'd like to do it on my own ini.
As he delineated for me, you only (that is, you CAN only) edit the INI files inside the newly created "$StartupCacheDir$" folder. Then you repack. If you edit the new Coalesced.ini file, it becomes corrupted... for whatever reason which is unclear to me (header related issues or some such).

As for the DLCs, there are like HUNDREDS of parameter lines that govern all the DLCs, from icons to skins. So, you'll have to scour those for what you want to turn 'on'...

Return to “Mortal Kombat X PC Modding Tools”