Mods & Unlockers Not working ? Here's why.

UncleFestor
Grand Master
Side: Darkness

Mods & Unlockers Not working ? Here's why.

Post by UncleFestor »

Aside from the fact that the 1st Update {The 15 GB one} actually broke the core game & decreased the overall visual quality of the game, which I assume was HVS's half-assed attempt to improve the online play & Lighten the load on the CPU. I'll give a Brief explanation of how the game has changed with this latest update & why there's issues with using Mods, unlockers & editing of coalesced files.

So, the primary culprit of the issues is the Integrity Check that's in the exe to validate the files. This check seems to be fairly simple though and seems to, for the most part, look @ file sizes to determine what's a valid file.

In the root folder of your game {*:\Mortal Kombat X\ } You'll find a text file named : X64TOC.
That's the table of Contents {Used mostly on Consoles i.e. PS3, Xbox360 Etc... }
In the original {Vanilla} Version of MKX that file was readable. Now it's larger & encrypted.
So, without access to the file in question I can not confirm my theory with 100% accuracy.

But, looking into the original file you'll see that every file MKX has, is listed in that TOC along with the File Size of each file & some Flags.

Example :
35553280 0 0 26 ..\Asset\CHAR_Jax_A.xxx 3

So, looking @ that entry you see that 35553280 is the compressed FIle size in Bytes : 35,553,280 Bytes. Every file will have an entry similar to that. The Integrity check therefore compares the size defined in the TOC with the package size. If they're not 100% Identical then the check fails.

Here's the Coalesced {Again from the Vanilla version }:

768032 0 0 1 ..\Config\Coalesced.ini 0
2943136 0 0 1 ..\Localization\Coalesced.ENG 0

So, that's why altering your coalesced or using the 1st unlocker or any Character/Skin mod fails. Because the sizes don't match.

With this newest patch the TOC is actually larger than it was in the Pre-Patch version which means they've added several entries to that file. It's also encrypted with a different encryption than the coalesced, which uses AES encryption.

So, for now anyway, there isn't much we can do to circumvent it. However, if the previous PC ports of MKKE & IGAU UE are any indication, the "Komplete Edition" of MKX will do away with the TOC/Integrity Check altogether.

I hope this helps to clarify any misinformation and answer any questions as to the current state of modding for MKX.

Check out my Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/unclefestorable
BuckFastMonk
Mortal
Side: Light
PSN: N/A
XBox Live: N/A

Re: Mods & Unlockers Not working ? Here's why.

Post by BuckFastMonk »

Thank you very much m8.

Your info has been very helpfull.
Like everything in life...
It seemed like a good idea at the time...
DocX
Warrior

Post by DocX »

So without being able to decrypt that table of contents you cant bring back the outfits anymore? Thats a bummer. Glad you know what your doing though. I was looking through the coalsence file tonight trying to figure out how to enable the outfits again but they all look unlocked looking at it? Im stumped. Thanks for all that youve done though. It was very cool while it lasted.
leebaldz5332
Apprentice
Side: Light

Post by leebaldz5332 »

UncleFestor, do you still have the original Coalesced.ini for MKX? I used your unlocker, however it didn't work recently. I guess it's because of the latest patch. I know you've added a Coalesced.ini.bac in the zip file, but I can;t seem to open it. Sorry. Total noob here...
UncleFestor
Grand Master

Post by UncleFestor »

Just delete the .bac from the file name.
Check out my Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/unclefestorable

Return to “Mortal Kombat X PC Modding Tutorials and Discussions”