TUTORIAL: Create specular and normal maps

rizzn
Apprentice
Side: Darkness
PSN: rizzn1

TUTORIAL: Create specular and normal maps

Post by rizzn »

Please be aware of that the results won't be as high quality as the original game textures (especially on the normal file). But it's some acceptable result for selfmade maps.

You are saving a lot of time if you create your maps step by step. First off finishing the diffuse map (nearly) completely before creating the specular and normal maps. Everytime you change textures/details on your diffuse you have to re-arrange/create the spec and norm maps.

The more detailed you work on your diffuse map, the easier it is to create all other maps. This means, cut nearly every element you want to edit and create an own layer for it. This is a lot of work but it's speeding up working on the map later.

So if you have this done you can create the specular and normal map parts only for your modified elements. After that you can copy your modded stuff over the original maps, so the parts you didn't edit stay untouched.

//EDIT:
I've uploaded a package of my Lex Luthor skin, so you can see how the layers are cutted and coloured.
Texture2D.zip
(10.05 MiB) Downloaded 391 times
TOOLS NEEDED
  • Photoshop (or Gimp)
  • Nvidia Texture Tools Plugin (link in the tutorial)
DIFF (ALPHA CHANNEL)
1) Duplicate all layers of the Diff file and merge them into one, just work with this layer
2) Use channel mixer and switch the color to "Monochrome"
3) Then use Brightness/Contrast with the values "150" for brightness and "100" for contrast
4) Do that step again with the values "100" for brightness and "-50" for contrast
5) It's ready you can copy the edited layer onto the Alpha layer of the Diff file

NORMHQA
1) First set your file size to 1024x1024 px to work proper
2) Duplicate all layers of the Diff file and merge them into one
3) Now copy the merged layer again, so you have 2 copies ready
4) On the bottom layer of these two, you use Nvidia Texture Tools for Photoshop with these settings

Code: Select all

Average RGB | 5x5 (or 3x3) | Scale 10
5) On the top layer you use these settings

Code: Select all

Average RGB | 7x7 | Scale 10
6) Now set the top layer to blend mode "Screen". This will blend your two layers
7) Merge this two layers
8.) Open Nvidia Texture Tools again and switch from "Average RGB" to "Normalize only"
9) Go to the channels index and copy the "Red layer" to "Alpha 1"
(It's a good step to backup your old Alpha layer by copying it. When you export to DDS format it will always take "Alpha 1" layer for saving. So you can name your backup layer "Alpha 1 Backup" or something like this. It's easier for reverting changes.")
10) Now use the rectangle tool to make your "Red layer" completely white
11) After that use this tool to make the "Blue layer" completely black
12) When saving change the size back to 1024x2048 px

(If your normal map gets too heavy, just delete the blended layer created in step 5. This is optional!)

SPEC
1) Duplicate all layers of the Diff file and merge them into one
2) Use Brightness/Contrast with "10" for brightness and "-20" for contrast
3) Press CTRL+U and adjust "Saturation" to "-10"

ADDITIONAL NOTES
These are just the settings I used for Deadpool. Please consider these settings can vary from character to character. Especially the specular settings. If you work on pure skinned faces you'll probably won't have to brighten it up too much, if it's a mask you can use more brightness for example.
Last edited by rizzn on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:07 am, edited 6 times in total.

Image Image Image
heymanjack
Apprentice

Re: TUTORIAL: Create specular and normal maps

Post by heymanjack »

What are your setting for the alpha field? unchanged all throughout the process?
rizzn
Apprentice

Post by rizzn »

heymanjack wrote:What are your setting for the alpha field? unchanged all throughout the process?
Which alpha field you mean? The alpha channel of the Diffuse or the NormHQA map?
Image Image Image
heymanjack
Apprentice

Post by heymanjack »

rizzn wrote:
heymanjack wrote:What are your setting for the alpha field? unchanged all throughout the process?
Which alpha field you mean? The alpha channel of the Diffuse or the NormHQA map?
The one in the norm filter in photoshop :)
Attachments
sgdfgdfgdfgdfgsrdegedgrsegrgsegrgererdwgfvfdtg.png
rizzn
Apprentice

Post by rizzn »

heymanjack wrote:The one in the norm filter in photoshop :)
Oh ok :) I'm not sure right now, I'm not at home but I will check this later. I think it's set to "Height" but will have a look later and edit this post!

//EDIT:
I checked this and it's set to "Unchanged" :)
Image Image Image
UncleFestor
Grand Master

Post by UncleFestor »

Nice Tut, easy to Understand :).

I used it to create Normal Map Textures for the Blood in my Red Lantern :)
Check out my Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/unclefestorable
rizzn
Apprentice

Post by rizzn »

UncleFestor wrote:Nice Tut, easy to Understand :).

I used it to create Normal Map Textures for the Blood in my Red Lantern :)
Thanks, appreciate it! :)

Very nice job on that Red Lantern mod :) When do you plan releasing it?
Image Image Image
UncleFestor
Grand Master

Post by UncleFestor »

Thanks it's was a lotta work to get rid of all the green that I possibly could.

Still some fine tuning to go thru on the RL Mod. I want to enlarge as many of his constructs as I can to fit the Character. I'm also trying to match the best Intro and Victory to suit the character.
I probably won't use any of the Lantern intro's cause the Glow that emits from the lanterns can't be changed to a different color.

Other than that I hope to release him by the end of the week.
rizzn
Apprentice

Post by rizzn »

Yeah I think so, but it's totally worth it. Red Lantern with the fitting red effects is just awesome! Switching the Intro/Outro is basically a great idea, the only problem I noticed is, the physics on the head get changed. So the Deadpool skin got some Joker chin, it's barely acceptable.

I gave the Bizarro skin the Intro of Black Adam and the physics of his face look different to the original face on gameplay. Shouldn't it be switchable via hex probably (in the Intro file)?

Very nice, hope it works with the release date!
Image Image Image
UncleFestor
Grand Master

Post by UncleFestor »

Maybe, I'm also gonna use the Black Adam intro for red lantern. I'm going to try and turn the Lightning into blood streams.

I'll take a look @ the hex and see if there is a way to change what mesh is called during the intro. It won't actually swap it but it should in theory avoid monkey face or weird glitches.
rizzn
Apprentice

Post by rizzn »

UncleFestor wrote:Maybe, I'm also gonna use the Black Adam intro for red lantern. I'm going to try and turn the Lightning into blood streams.

I'll take a look @ the hex and see if there is a way to change what mesh is called during the intro. It won't actually swap it but it should in theory avoid monkey face or weird glitches.
Ok cool, would be awesome if we can just avoid the wrong face physics, that would be enough for making custom intros/victories I think. :)
Image Image Image

Return to “Injustice: Gods Among Us PC Tutorials and Discussions”