Colour Picker Tutorial

CynicalHippie
Mortal
Side: Darkness

Colour Picker Tutorial

Post by CynicalHippie »

I'm gonna post this tutorial here, just so that'll be easier found should my Crap Tonne of Simple Mods thread gets buried - which I hope it does. There's only four more months to MKX, let's the mod the hell out of MK9!

Colour Picker Tutorial

You'll need the Colour Picker tool and the MK9 Texture Tools for decompressing and extracting. If you want to take it a step further, an image editing program like Photoshop that can alter a texture's Alpha layer will allow you to choose where to place your colours as well and remove unwanted effects. For that you'll also need umodel. I've included a .rar at the end of this post which contains everything you'll need. I'm writing this tutorial for those who already know how to edit textures. If you want to learn how to edit textures, this thread is very helpful:

http://www.mksecrets.net/forums/eng/vie ... =84&t=6311

First, decompress the xxx archive of your choice with the MK9 Texture tool and extract the texture files from the unpacked archive using umodel. I've chosen Char_Raiden.xxx

The files I'll be editing here are Raiden_Diff, Raiden_Spec, Raiden_Diff_Damage and Raiden_Spec_Damage.

Here is Raiden's DIFF texture, and beside it is the alpha layer for the texture. The grey and white represents two different colours that we can change. But Raiden's cloth is already blue. Any colour I place over it will blend with the blue, which I don't want. So to start with a clean base, I select that blue and desaturate it. Raiden's amulet is also coloured blue. I'd like for it's colour to be affected by the Colour Picker tool as well. So I desaturate it, and then paint its shape in grey on the alpha layer.

Now that that's done, we need to do the same for his Damage textures. The Damage Diff's alpha is a little different. Black means transparent and is mostly used for torn flesh or cloth so be careful not to paint over it on the alpha layer. If you're using Photoshop, a handy way to select the blue in order to desaturate it is to select the grey on the alpha layer and then switch to the RGB layer.

Nice! Now there's one more thing that I like to do. The SPEC textures are responsible for the sheen that's often seen on the character's clothes. Raiden's SPEC is set so that a blue sheen falls on his clothes. Looks great for P1's default but it slightly dilutes the red variant on P2. I'm gonna desaturate it as well which will open up a wider variety of colours available for P2.

Now let's test it. Inject these new textures into the CHAR_Raiden.xxx archive using the DDS Injector and copy the new CHAR_Raiden into your Assets folder.

That's the default Raiden on the left, and our edited version on the right. Now we've got a clean base upon which to select our colours. This is the fun part. In the MK9 Texture Tool folder, open the CHAR_Raiden folder and look for NameTable.txt
Copy that and your new CHAR_Raiden.xxx archive into the Colour Picker tool folder. Drop the NameTable.txt file into the Nametables folder but leave the xxx archive with the MKKEColor.exe

In the NameTable folder, drag and drop the NameTable.txt file on the NTT.exe and type in the xxx archive's name when prompted. In this case, without the extension - it's CHAR_Raiden. Click OK.

Now Open the Colour Picker tool. Type Char_Raiden.xxx into the Source box. The Output file should read Char_Raiden_New.xxx Remove the "_New" so it matches the source. Check the Costume Colour Editing box and we're ready to begin.

Select Char_Raiden.nt under the Table heading. Under Preset, select Alt Costume Colour and press Load.

It's best to have the game running and your character selected in the BioViewer of Nekroplois or two of the same character in Practice while you're doing this cause it's usually a lot of back and forth and trial and error trying to determine what changes what. I usually find that the first "offest" relates to P2, then P1, P2, P1, P2 and so forth.

A good way of figuring out what an offest affects is to give it a bright vibrant colour that isn't really present on the character. So I changed the RGB values of 0.775, 0.775, 0.775 to 2,0,2 which is a very strong pink.

And this was the result. So the first offest controls P2 Raiden's hat colour. I can assume that the second offset will control P1 Raiden's hat.

And I'd be right. After you've entered in your new RGB values, click Save and then copy the Char_Raiden.xxx back into your assets folder to test it. Keep the colour picker and the game open at the same time and just switch back and forth between them if you can. It's just easier that way. Also, you can edit one colur at a time so click Save after every colour change.

Essentially, the grey in the alpha layers of the diff textures tells the game to apply a colour to that section. So since the grey only falls over Raiden's cloth textures (and now his amulet as well), we can use the Colour Picker tool to designate a specific colour for it and give P1 and P2 unique colour schemes. Raiden's eyes in the diff alpha are designated white. I haven't tested Raiden but I do know with other character's like Sonya and Sindel, those "white" colours can also be changed with the Colour Picker. They're often under the 'Glow' preset. So in theory you can paint other areas white on your diff's alpha layer and then use the Colour Picker tool to change that colour as well to add a second colour.

Once you've set your character up, changing their colour scheme becomes so easy.

And addictive. :lol:

I've included in this file all of the tools you'll need, the Colour Picker, the Injector, etc. I've also included all of the "Raiden" files I've used in this tutorial so you can take a closer look or just change Raiden's colours the way you want them. Please note that these Raiden files are from the Steam patched version of the game. If you're not using that version, you won't be able to use them. But you can still use the tools and your own xxx archives.

Colour Picker Tutorial Tools: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lsf8bic9ajff6 ... l.rar?dl=0

I hope this has been helpful! Good luck!

wyruzzah
Immortal

Re: Colour Picker Tutorial

Post by wyruzzah »

No responses WTF? :) Great tutorial man! Im familiar with color picker, but for newbies its required!
Metalwolf717
Mortal

Re: Colour Picker Tutorial

Post by Metalwolf717 »

OUTSTANDING TUTORIAL!! I needed it. Thnx

Return to “Mortal Kombat 9 PC Modding Tutorials and Discussions”