Need a tutorial for editing the load screen/char select scr

Newmodder
Mortal

Need a tutorial for editing the load screen/char select scr

Post by Newmodder »

Hey guys,I wanted some help regarding the editing of the character loading screens (v/s mode) and character select screen,i got some info that the files required to edit these are present in the file/folder named "ui_ps_vs_jpegs" if I'm not wrong.Could someone just give me a detailed info. about the tools that are required to edit these files and also how to edit the same.
P.S: The loadscreen of the character that i want to edit is Skarlet which is a dlc as y'all know.So,i'm not very sure about the location of the files to be edited regarding Skarlet(whether it's in ui_ps_vs_jpegs),cuz i am able to see all the characters' files there,but except the DLC's (Rain,Kenshi,Skarlet,Freddy).
Thanks.

Nothing special here,it's just a signature]
rizzn
Apprentice
Side: Darkness
PSN: rizzn1

Re: Need a tutorial for editing the load screen/char select

Post by rizzn »

Following tools are required and shortly described for what they are used in this case (except you want to edit the VS pictures AND the character select image):

- Mk9TextureTool_V3 (extracting BinaryBlobJPEGs and Texture2D files)
- MKKEJpgFix1.1 (creating new BinaryBlobJPEGs)
- MK9.DDSInjectorV1.5 (injecting DDS files)
- umodel_win32 (extracting DDS files)
- MKGI1.0 (inejcting BinaryBlobJPEGs)
- Graphic software (like Photoshop)
- Photoshop DDS Plugin
(opening DDS files)

(First off I will focus on the VS images. Character select comes with the second step. Injecting the new files comes as the last step. I hope everything is clear, but if there's something you can't figure out, feel free to ask.)

VS Portrait:
DLC chars have their own UI so you have to grab off Skarlet_ui.xxx from "DiscContentPC/Asset" first and copy it to the Mk9TextureTool_V3 folder. Then you have to decompress the file. So pull it onto the decompress.exe. A new folder will be created called "unpacked". Get in there, copy the new file and replace your old file. (Make sure you have a backup!)

Next step is to extract the file. Pull it onto extract.exe. A new folder gets created called Skarlet_ui. If you open it you will see several files that are necessary for you (ignore the rest):

- BD_skarlet_alpha.BinaryBlobJPEG
- BD_skarlet_color.BinaryBlobJPEG
- Head.Texture2D
- ladder_a.Texture2D
- ladder_b.Texture2D

To open the BinaryBlobJPEG's just rename them to .jpg and open it in your graphic software. For me I can't view it in the regular Windows Image Viewer but in Photoshop. Ok so make your edits and save it as a new working JPG file. If you just doing color editing you can leave the alpha BlobJPEG as it is. If you changing the form you have to adjust the alpha as well.

Now you have to create new BlobJPEGs. Copy the .BinaryBlobJPEG(s) AND your newly created JPG files to MKKEJpgFix1.1. You will now have 4 files in that folder (if you edited the alpha versions too). Open MKKEJpgFix.exe and fill the boxes with your new JPG and your old BinaryBlogJPEG. Make sure your new file is NOT larger than your original file.

If successful you will get a file, something called like this: BD_skarlet_color.jpg.fixed - This is your new BinaryBlogJPEG! So the last step is just to rename it's file extension to BD_skarlet_color.BinaryBlobJPEG.

Character Selection Image:
First of all, you can't open .Texture2D files in Photoshop. But that's no problem as you need the .Texture2D files later. Grab your Skarlet_ui.xxx again and copy it to umodel_win32 folder. Open the windows command line. Press [WINDOWS KEY + R], type cmd into the box and hit ENTER. Navigate to your umodel folder with:
cd C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\YOUR_FOLDER
Now you can extract the files for your graphic software. Type the following:
umodel -noanim -export -dds -all Skarlet_ui.xxx
You will see a new folder called Skarlet_ui. Navigate to the folder /Texture2D/ and you will recognize:

- Head.dds
- ladder_a.dds
- ladder_b.dds

These files can be opened in Photothop if you installed the Plugin. Make your changes on the files and save it back as .DDS file. Make sure you save it with the correct settings. For the UI they are:
DXT5 ARGB 8bpp | interpolated alpha | No MIP maps
Ok so if you saved everything you are ready to inject everything back to your Skarlet_ui.xxx.

Injecting:
I will start again with the VS images. Copy your old and new BinaryBlobJPEGs to the MKGI1.0 folder. (Probably you have to rename your new files, as Windows wants to overwrite them, but that's not problem.) Call new files something like new_BD_skarlet_color.BinaryBlobJPEG. Don't forget to move the Skarlet_ui.xxx to this folder also.

Now fill in the boxes correctly and press "Inject it!". If your new files aren't bigger than the original you won't get error messages. Your VS images are now done.

Move your edited Skarlet_ui.xxx to the MK9.DDSInjectorV1.5 folder. Copy the Head, ladder_a and ladder_b in Texture2D and DDS format also into this folder. You will now have 7 files in it. Open windows command line again. Navigate to your DDSInjector folder and type run.bat.

First set your target file by typing Skarlet_ui (NO file extension is needed here). Then inject your three DDS files step by step (also without it's file extension).

If you're done type /exit. You're UI file is ready now. Copy it back to your DiscContentPC/Asset folder and test it ingame. (Make a backup of the original!)
Image Image Image
Newmodder
Mortal

Post by Newmodder »

rizzn wrote:Following tools are required and shortly described for what they are used in this case (except you want to edit the VS pictures AND the character select image):

- Mk9TextureTool_V3 (extracting BinaryBlobJPEGs and Texture2D files)
- MKKEJpgFix1.1 (creating new BinaryBlobJPEGs)
- MK9.DDSInjectorV1.5 (injecting DDS files)
- umodel_win32 (extracting DDS files)
- MKGI1.0 (inejcting BinaryBlobJPEGs)
- Graphic software (like Photoshop)
- Photoshop DDS Plugin
(opening DDS files)

(First off I will focus on the VS images. Character select comes with the second step. Injecting the new files comes as the last step. I hope everything is clear, but if there's something you can't figure out, feel free to ask.)

VS Portrait:
DLC chars have their own UI so you have to grab off Skarlet_ui.xxx from "DiscContentPC/Asset" first and copy it to the Mk9TextureTool_V3 folder. Then you have to decompress the file. So pull it onto the decompress.exe. A new folder will be created called "unpacked". Get in there, copy the new file and replace your old file. (Make sure you have a backup!)

Next step is to extract the file. Pull it onto extract.exe. A new folder gets created called Skarlet_ui. If you open it you will see several files that are necessary for you (ignore the rest):

- BD_skarlet_alpha.BinaryBlobJPEG
- BD_skarlet_color.BinaryBlobJPEG
- Head.Texture2D
- ladder_a.Texture2D
- ladder_b.Texture2D

To open the BinaryBlobJPEG's just rename them to .jpg and open it in your graphic software. For me I can't view it in the regular Windows Image Viewer but in Photoshop. Ok so make your edits and save it as a new working JPG file. If you just doing color editing you can leave the alpha BlobJPEG as it is. If you changing the form you have to adjust the alpha as well.

Now you have to create new BlobJPEGs. Copy the .BinaryBlobJPEG(s) AND your newly created JPG files to MKKEJpgFix1.1. You will now have 4 files in that folder (if you edited the alpha versions too). Open MKKEJpgFix.exe and fill the boxes with your new JPG and your old BinaryBlogJPEG. Make sure your new file is NOT larger than your original file.

If successful you will get a file, something called like this: BD_skarlet_color.jpg.fixed - This is your new BinaryBlogJPEG! So the last step is just to rename it's file extension to BD_skarlet_color.BinaryBlobJPEG.

Character Selection Image:
First of all, you can't open .Texture2D files in Photoshop. But that's no problem as you need the .Texture2D files later. Grab your Skarlet_ui.xxx again and copy it to umodel_win32 folder. Open the windows command line. Press [WINDOWS KEY + R], type cmd into the box and hit ENTER. Navigate to your umodel folder with:
cd C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\YOUR_FOLDER
Now you can extract the files for your graphic software. Type the following:
umodel -noanim -export -dds -all Skarlet_ui.xxx
You will see a new folder called Skarlet_ui. Navigate to the folder /Texture2D/ and you will recognize:

- Head.dds
- ladder_a.dds
- ladder_b.dds

These files can be opened in Photothop if you installed the Plugin. Make your changes on the files and save it back as .DDS file. Make sure you save it with the correct settings. For the UI they are:
DXT5 ARGB 8bpp | interpolated alpha | No MIP maps
Ok so if you saved everything you are ready to inject everything back to your Skarlet_ui.xxx.

Injecting:
I will start again with the VS images. Copy your old and new BinaryBlobJPEGs to the MKGI1.0 folder. (Probably you have to rename your new files, as Windows wants to overwrite them, but that's not problem.) Call new files something like new_BD_skarlet_color.BinaryBlobJPEG. Don't forget to move the Skarlet_ui.xxx to this folder also.

Now fill in the boxes correctly and press "Inject it!". If your new files aren't bigger than the original you won't get error messages. Your VS images are now done.

Move your edited Skarlet_ui.xxx to the MK9.DDSInjectorV1.5 folder. Copy the Head, ladder_a and ladder_b in Texture2D and DDS format also into this folder. You will now have 7 files in it. Open windows command line again. Navigate to your DDSInjector folder and type run.bat.

First set your target file by typing Skarlet_ui (NO file extension is needed here). Then inject your three DDS files step by step (also without it's file extension).

If you're done type /exit. You're UI file is ready now. Copy it back to your DiscContentPC/Asset folder and test it ingame. (Make a backup of the original!)

I can't thank you enough.This is just what i wanted.Sadly,I'll be able to try it out only next week when i get back home.Anyways,i had 1 question;I am having the DDSInjector v1.3.So,will that do?
And thanks very much :)
rizzn
Apprentice
Side: Darkness
PSN: rizzn1

Post by rizzn »

Newmodder wrote:I can't thank you enough.This is just what i wanted.Sadly,I'll be able to try it out only next week when i get back home.Anyways,i had 1 question;I am having the DDSInjector v1.3.So,will that do?
No problem! ;) I'm glad this is what you where looking for. I think v1.3 should work, I'm currently using v1.4. I just posted it because it's the newest version (with a few bugfixes) at the moment.

You can have a look at the Changelog here for seeing what's updated and bugfixed so far.
Image Image Image
Newmodder
Mortal

Post by Newmodder »

rizzn wrote:
Newmodder wrote:I can't thank you enough.This is just what i wanted.Sadly,I'll be able to try it out only next week when i get back home.Anyways,i had 1 question;I am having the DDSInjector v1.3.So,will that do?
No problem! ;) I'm glad this is what you where looking for. I think v1.3 should work, I'm currently using v1.4. I just posted it because it's the newest version (with a few bugfixes) at the moment.

You can have a look at the Changelog here for seeing what's updated and bugfixed so far.
Ok,thanks again :mrgreen:

Return to “Mortal Kombat 9 PC Modding Tutorials and Discussions”