Tutorial: Extracting, Modifying and Importing MK9 Textures

wiggo
Mortal

Re: Tutorial: Extracting, Modifying and Importing MK9 Textur

Post by wiggo »

Everything's possible. I tried to put Batman from MK vs DC Universe (xbox 360 version) model in and got the same error as tried to put Jax over Baraka's second costume. I believe if we could overcome that error we could have much more than that cause past 3 games (MK vs DC, MK9 and Injustice) uses same engine just different character encryption.

vini7
Mortal

Post by vini7 »

permission to translate your post?
and post on my forum mk in Brazil?
please
wiggo
Mortal

Post by wiggo »

Sure, just credit me as original author and post a link to this.
Rich246
Warrior
Side: Darkness
PSN: PC Gamers FTW!
XBox Live: PC Gamers FTW!

Post by Rich246 »

wiggo wrote:Everything's possible. I tried to put Batman from MK vs DC Universe (xbox 360 version) model in and got the same error as tried to put Jax over Baraka's second costume. I believe if we could overcome that error we could have much more than that cause past 3 games (MK vs DC, MK9 and Injustice) uses same engine just different character encryption.
I hope it is possible someday, Joker needs to replace Shang Tsung's clown in his Fatality.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone needs a topic stickied or help moving something
please ask me and I will be more than willing to help you. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my deviantART page for PC game icons.
http://Rich246.deviantart.com/
Follow me on Twitter: @Richm246
Add me on Steam: Richm246
morosenoodle
Mortal

Post by morosenoodle »

Yeah, I noticed the crashing. You can swap fatalities and win poses out just by renaming files, but textures have a lot of subordinate directories inside them and merely renaming crashes the game.

I'm poking around in CHAR_Kitana_C.xxx (MK2 Kitana), and I noticed that the file structure is different from what I've seen in the other .xxx files. There's no Kitana_C_Diff.dds; instead, there's a RetroNinja_Female_Diff.dds. What's more, this .dds file does not seem to contain any clothing texture info; it's just skin, looks like her arms and thighs and face. Anyone know what's up?

I'm guessing the Retro costumes call a single master file to load the actual clothing texture, and simply palette swap in the color value for whichever character you've got selected. Assuming this is the case, then where IS this master file? And what defines the costume's color?

Also, battle damage. How does it work? Is there another file that defines exactly where on the body each piece of battle damage occurs? It doesn't appear to be a simple overlay, although I haven't experimented much and can't say for certain.
wiggo
Mortal

Post by wiggo »

Yeah, I noticed that too. If you look again in my tutorial (texture editing part), you'll notice that the part of the texture, where I put Chinese symbols and and dragon is grey, but in game it's blue. If you try recolor that grey part to ie.: yellow, it will appear yellow in game.

Interesting thing is in another texture. It's the same texture as original just body (skin) parts are colored green, black parts like tights are colored blue, and the blue parts (like the one where I put those symbols) are colored red and purple.

I think that this texture works something as mask texture. Human's skin has his own texture and reflection so green parts apply one effect while leather tights are more shiny so blue mask applies other effect to that. If you try color that whole texture in red, the whole model will be colored in blue.
Attachments
SubZero_F_Pmsk.png
Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

Hi guys, just added MK9.DDSInjectorV1.4 to the first post. Here is also the changes log since version 1.2:

Changed the way files are found in the .xxx - Should drastically decrease the number of .dds importing to the wrong place.
You can now inject multiple files into the same .xxx without having to constantly write the name of the .xxx.
Fixed filenames with spaces not working properly.
Fixed Jade_BDMG_Diff crashing the injector.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

The above texture as you mentioned is probably used for shader effects. I have done 3D graphics programming and you can do a lot of things with images like these. We created an entire 3D map using a single image covered with different shades of gray.
I Rule This World!

DigitusPrime
Mortal

Post by DigitusPrime »

I have a request could someone please do an all white subzero 1st costume sub zero in all white would be epic a proper snow skin for him
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

This topic is about the tutorial, not for requests. Please post your request in a separate topic, that way everyone will be able to see it.
I Rule This World!

morosenoodle
Mortal

Post by morosenoodle »

Quick question, do you know if there's any way to unpack decompressed .xxx files? I've found a few semi-completed mods, and wanted to poke around in the texture files to see how they accomplished some things. Do a bit of reverse engineering to help me figure out how things work. The .xxx files are in the larger, decompressed (~20k) format and crash umodel when I try and unpack them.
wiggo
Mortal

Post by wiggo »

Uhm, using Scorpion2k7's MK9 Texture Tool?
morosenoodle
Mortal

Post by morosenoodle »

The TextureTool doesn't extract the texture files as .dds, though. They come out as .Texture2D, a format Photoshop doesn't recognize.
quaddamage08
Mortal

Post by quaddamage08 »

Thank you for the tutorial ! Just finished my first skin . Hope you guys like it !
( I've managed to edit and include the damaged skin file too . )

Front View

Back View

Let me know about your thoughts !

You can download this skin from HERE :: http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/68138936/file.html::
Scorp1on
Mortal

Post by Scorp1on »

Figured I'd help everyone out as I got tired of typing that entire 'umodel' string every time. Download the following attached .rar file, extract the 'extract_xxx.bat' file to your 'UModel' folder and simply drag and drop your '*.xxx' file onto it.

NOTE: The .bat file MUST be in your UModel directory.
extract_xxx.rar
(148 Bytes) Downloaded 474 times

Return to “Mortal Kombat 9 PC Modding Tutorials and Discussions”