DLC Serena The Red Usul (Adds a new fighter to the roster)

PrettyGoomba
Warrior
Side: Light

DLC Serena The Red Usul (Adds a new fighter to the roster)

Post by PrettyGoomba »

DLC Serena The Red Usul was made by PrettyGoomba (With lots of help from zepterrian, this DLC character would not of happened without all of his help, Thank you so much for all the help showing me how to do this :D)

Just use MKKE DLC Manager 2.6 By HowardC to install this DLC character/mod
I have a steam version of the game, so not sure if this mod works with all version's

Serena The Red Usul comes from Neopets

Drawing were made by: me

I hope everyone enjoys this mod, I had a lot of fun making it

PS: Her fatality/intro/victory is what ever Kitana's is, i just changed mine to match the character more, intro (Mileena) fatalities (Kitana's fatality 1, and Mileena fatality 2)
and the victory (Jade)
Attachments
DLC Serena The Red Usul.7z
(10.23 MiB) Downloaded 2502 times
Picture7.png
Picture4.png
Comes with her on bio
Comes with her on bio
Picture2.png
Picture5.png
Picture1.png
Picture6.png

zepterrian
Grand Master

Re: DLC Serena The Red Usul (Adds a new fighter to the roste

Post by zepterrian »

Great work :).. keep it up!
For the raptor race...
PrettyGoomba
Warrior

Post by PrettyGoomba »

Thank you :)
Justinian
Apprentice

Post by Justinian »

Great Work.
I'm trying to modify the color and such, but I'm running into loads of trouble with that I already figured out the Diff and NormHQA files don't really function as any other character's. But even copying kitana's NormHQA and Diff files in USUL still doesn't make her turn blue. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance, and again great work my man. I've been hurting to copy a secondary or retro costume to a new slot for ages, so I thought I'd start with your work. Still trying to figure out how to copy an alternate costume to a new slot though.

Cheers
I have great faith in fools; self confidence my friends call it. - Edgar Allan Poe
zepterrian
Grand Master

Post by zepterrian »

It was a mesh swap. You take a main character and put a secondary costume on him.
For the raptor race...
Justinian
Apprentice

Post by Justinian »

zepterrian wrote:It was a mesh swap. You take a main character and put a secondary costume on him.
Hey zepterrian, thanks for your comment. Really appreciate it. As of today my understanding of mesh-swapping is to just

- copy the whole CHAR-file that contains the desired mesh
- making sure it is decompressed
- renaming the file to the character whose mesh I want to swap
- open up the generic renamer app, swap all instances of CHAR_Y with CHAR_X with option 'hash'
- swap all instances in the file of Y with X.

I can already copy a main character to a new slot, so then I just need to be able to swap that costume. All my efforts so far have been been crashing the game, whereas swapping with main costumes works just fine. It could be a detail I'm getting wrong or maybe I'm just doing it entirely wrong. Thanks for your input.
I have great faith in fools; self confidence my friends call it. - Edgar Allan Poe
zepterrian
Grand Master

Post by zepterrian »

Justinian wrote:
zepterrian wrote:It was a mesh swap. You take a main character and put a secondary costume on him.
Hey zepterrian, thanks for your comment. Really appreciate it. As of today my understanding of mesh-swapping is to just

- copy the whole CHAR-file that contains the desired mesh
- making sure it is decompressed
- renaming the file to the character whose mesh I want to swap
- open up the generic renamer app, swap all instances of CHAR_Y with CHAR_X with option 'hash'
- swap all instances in the file of Y with X.

I can already copy a main character to a new slot, so then I just need to be able to swap that costume. All my efforts so far have been been crashing the game, whereas swapping with main costumes works just fine. It could be a detail I'm getting wrong or maybe I'm just doing it entirely wrong. Thanks for your input.
What you do is correct for mesh swapping in MKX but it does not work in the same way in MK9.
To clarify, mesh swap is when you take a character's skin and put it over a different character. For example, the cyber reptile in the challenge tower is a mesh swap because the skin of cyber subzero was put over reptile.
To make a mesh swap in mk9 you need the reindex tool published in the tutorial section. There's a complete guide on how to mesh swap written by aman and you can learn how to do that properly.
As for the color problems that you had in the message above. If you want to alter the color of PrettyGoomba's mod try to use the color picker. That's another tool you can use and it is also available in the tutorial section (published by UncleFestor). I have to say that classic costumes have a particularity. Their color is not shown in the .dds files that you can open in PS. There are coded somewhere else (i dont know where). So instead of using PS try the color picker instead. I hope this helps!
For the raptor race...
Justinian
Apprentice

Post by Justinian »

zepterrian wrote: What you do is correct for mesh swapping in MKX but it does not work in the same way in MK9.
To clarify, mesh swap is when you take a character's skin and put it over a different character. For example, the cyber reptile in the challenge tower is a mesh swap because the skin of cyber subzero was put over reptile.
To make a mesh swap in mk9 you need the reindex tool published in the tutorial section. There's a complete guide on how to mesh swap written by aman and you can learn how to do that properly.
As for the color problems that you had in the message above. If you want to alter the color of PrettyGoomba's mod try to use the color picker. That's another tool you can use and it is also available in the tutorial section (published by UncleFestor). I have to say that classic costumes have a particularity. Their color is not shown in the .dds files that you can open in PS. There are coded somewhere else (i dont know where). So instead of using PS try the color picker instead. I hope this helps!
Thanks I'll have a look. I was pretty preoccupied the last few days, so I was unable to have a look here.

Take care in the mean time. ;)
Justinian
Apprentice

Post by Justinian »

I tried to follow your tutorial on swapping kitana's mesh with jade's mesh, in another topic related to this, but I get these:

Offset [0x00150f48]:ExportList 'MaterialInstanceConstantInterior_MIC'(892) not found, exported file will not work!!!
Offset [0x00150f4c]:ExportList 'MaterialInstanceConstantInterior_MIC'(892) not found, exported file will not work!!!
Offset [0x00150f50]:ExportList 'MaterialInstanceConstantInterior_MIC'(892) not found, exported file will not work!!!
Interior Mic count = 3
Offset [0x00150f58]:ExportList 'MaterialInstanceConstantInterior_MIC'(892) not found, exported file will not work!!!
Offset [0x00150f5c]:ExportList 'MaterialInstanceConstantInterior_MIC'(892) not found, exported file will not work!!!
Offset [0x00150f60]:ExportList 'MaterialInstanceConstantInterior_MIC'(892) not found, exported file will not work!!!
[...]
Offset [0x00151bae]:ExportList 'Eyes_MIC'(891) not found, exported file will not work!!!

in my reindex log-file.

You explain to replace these indices, but I'm not so sure what you mean. You mean for me to replace in the resulting CHAR_Kitana.xxx file the two bytes at offset 0x00150f48 with "DF03", and so on because the two bytes that are there are not the (892) the reindex log talks about. To be honest I'm not so sure what this reindex log is logging. And thus in extension, what it is complaining about, and thus how to fix it. You say it's easy. in this thread, but it's the only step I wasn't able to follow.

Thanks in advance. I feel, I'm close :)

https://www.mksecrets.net/forums/eng/vi ... 5&start=15
zepterrian
Grand Master

Post by zepterrian »

yes you are really close. The warning in the log file is trying to tell you that something that needed to be replaced was not replaced because the other skeletalmesh file had not the same thing (more or less). For that, you will need to find something that fills the empty space. As i mentioned in that post you linked, you need to open the export list from your character being modded and look for some similar name. Something that is similar to "MaterialInstanceConstantInterior_MIC". Once you find it, look at the first column in that line and take note of the index number. In that case my example gave the number 990 but then i added +1 and i got 991. Now you go to a hex calculator and convert 991 to hexadecimal. Once you have that number convert it to little endian format. Google on how to do that or take an online converter. You will need that number to be written as a 4 bytes value, this is very important.The resulting number will be the once you will replace in your resulting skeletalmesh file. Where to put it? For example you will need to look for address 00150f48 first, and replace whatever is in there with your little endian number, and so on with the rest of the addresses.
For the raptor race...
Justinian
Apprentice

Post by Justinian »

Omg, zepterrian!!
You are my hero. :)

The essential part that I missed (and that was stupid of me) was to do the replacements in the SkeletalMesh-file, not the completed CHAR-file. I got it to work now, seeing jade with fans is pretty nice, but her clothes got washed without fabric softener... as did her hair. I see you mentioned something like that in the thread, but I failed to find a solution. Nevertheless, thanks for all your hard work. once I get a nice mod I'll update the thread, but I'll need to learn a few things first so it seems. (Blender and such)

I already learned a lot thanks to you, Next I'll be trying with secondary costumes
zepterrian
Grand Master

Post by zepterrian »

lol thanks dude. Glad to hear you succeed.

Keep it up then. Cheers!!
For the raptor race...
Justinian
Apprentice

Post by Justinian »

I tried to put Sindel's second costume mesh into her primary character file and got this result after swapping all the textures:
SindelMeshSwap.png
The only thing I can think of is something I can't do: the file Sindel_B_InteriorMasks.dds doesn't have an equivalent in the primary costume model...

-----------------

EDIT: I solved and I wanted to post it

It was an issue with the NormHQA file, which is 2048x1024 in the Sindel_B model, but 1024x2048 in the Sindel model. so I stretched it out, and lo-and-behold. it worked like a charm, just her hair that looks weird in Nekropolis, but it's pretty fine in-game :)

HI5!!
Justinian
Apprentice

Post by Justinian »

I wasn't able to fix the hair. I checked all the NameTable entries for 'hair' and they all got mapped succesfully. At this moment I'm thinking of giving her a separate character slot and calling her Spikey. Works with the number of letters too. :-)

I could always give her a haircut since the alpha channel in the SindelHair_Diff.dds file rules transparancy apparently, but it would be weird with some of her moves though.

Have you found any fix for this? I can't seem to get any ideas on this.
zepterrian
Grand Master

Post by zepterrian »

i would suggest you to manually fix the position of her hair in blender but according to my tests, touching the hair will always brake it in game causing transparency issues and problems with its texture (an incorrect mapping).
The mesh swap of this style has this limitation. You cannot make cloths or hair to be fully animated. They will stay frozen and there's no apparent solution for that.
For the raptor race...

Return to “Mortal Kombat 9 PC Skins”