Petition: We Want a Mortal Kombat Lore Encyclopedia!

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Petition: We Want a Mortal Kombat Lore Encyclopedia!

Post by Gambid »

After the success of the Tremor in Mortal Kombat X petition, fans started creating online petitions for everything they ever wanted in the game.

So what makes the petition I am writing about any different? It is unique and does not necessarily revolve around the latest game of the franchise. Further more, it is reasonable and delivers an interesting idea for the guys over at Netherrealm and Warner Bros.

The petition is about a creation of a Mortal Kombat Lore Encyclopedia. Take a look:

Dear respective parties (Netherrealm Studios, Ed Boon, DC Comics, DK Publishing, Shawn Kittlesen, Etc),
Mortal Kombat Lore Encyclopedia Petition

We as Mortal Kombat fans would like to finally have a definitive book encompassing the Mortal Kombat Lore. Over the previous 20+ years, we have had a bunch of games and comic books, yet we have nothing like this. When your game is built around lore, you need something like this for your fan base. Marvel and DC comics both have various encyclopedias. Something like this would be vital for the old fan base and the new, and would be an essential collector's item for every fan. We are petitioning you to make this happen, to make this a reality for all fans of the long running series.

Thank you.

The petition has already managed to catch the eye of Mortal Kombat X Comic book writer Shawn Kittelsen who appears to be interested in taking over such a project in case Warner Bros decides to do it: Check his tweet.

Want to make this happen, then click here and sign the petition.

Did you like this update? Then follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Discord.

I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Lord Dragu
Master

Re: Petition: We Want a Mortal Kombat Lore Encyclopedia!

Post by Lord Dragu »

I think they should make a petition " Warner Bross amd company Stop Screwing PC players with buggy and glitched titles" now that's more important at the moment.
DaTeHaCKs now stands against sites like GameFaqs where their staff doesn't respect their members opinion, delete threads without a warning, delete posts without a warning, doesn't respect people's opinions and directly infract user accounts just making a complain or trying to contact Administrators. The Moderator Staff of GameFaqs/GameSpot is a bunch of ass losers who deserve no such status. Playing with a moderator/admin status like a gun is a way to show how big cowards they are.
Roy Arkon
God
Side: Darkness
PSN: RoyArkon46

Post by Roy Arkon »

Great news indeed, gonna buy it for sure.
No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

If one is made. The problem with thing like this is. With a franchise such as Mortal Kombat with 20+ years of history there is a lot of work required if you want to please the fans. Just take a look at The History of Mortal Kombat and you will see what I mean. Everything else will angry the fans.
I Rule This World!

Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

I know, it's gonna be a tough one, but I'm optimistic and I'm sure they will do a great job.

BTW I saw the history of MK series and I have to say you guys did an awesome job, I've learned so much from that series. When is next episode BTW?
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Mortal Kombat X is currently the main focus.
I Rule This World!

Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

I see, thanks for that, keep the good work.
theassassin
Mortal

Post by theassassin »

The thing is, while I would love a MK Encyclopedia and admire the idea of a petition, the mythology of all MK is just so deep and complicated I really would not have much faith that it would be done right even if it did get the go-ahead.

Honestly the only way I would be confident that this project would be worthwhile would be if they got some obsessive hardcore MK fans involved to advise and research for it, and allowed a LONG time for polishing and verifying everything. And I mean demonstratably real fans that have been part of fan communities for a long time, not just professional people who say they are a fan (but nobody in the fan communities has ever heard of them so they might not be telling the truth). But sadly that just isn't how the industry works. People are more likely to be hired for their general writing/research experience than their knowledge of MK, and of course the quicker a job can be done, the cheaper it is to pay staff.

No, I just can't see that the end product will be anything more than mediocre if left purely to professional writers and researchers. No matter how good they are, they just won't have the time to learn and verify everything and it will just end up being rushed and full of mistakes. Whereas of course the hardcore fans would already know a huge amount and know where to look, so would be much more likely to have time to research and verify everything.

Also, the main content aside, I wouldn't put it past Netherrealm/WB to attempt to tie the Encyclopedia into the promotion of the latest MK game, which is what has happened with some encyclopedias for other franchises (Zelda Hyrule Historia for example had a really disproportionately large amount of pages dedicated to the latest game at the time) which takes away from the point of the book and quickly makes it seem dated.

So yeh, while I love the idea, I just don't believe it would meet expectations for hardcore fans.
Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

theassassin wrote:The thing is, while I would love a MK Encyclopedia and admire the idea of a petition, the mythology of all MK is just so deep and complicated I really would not have much faith that it would be done right even if it did get the go-ahead.

Honestly the only way I would be confident that this project would be worthwhile would be if they got some obsessive hardcore MK fans involved to advise and research for it, and allowed a LONG time for polishing and verifying everything. And I mean demonstratably real fans that have been part of fan communities for a long time, not just professional people who say they are a fan (but nobody in the fan communities has ever heard of them so they might not be telling the truth). But sadly that just isn't how the industry works. People are more likely to be hired for their general writing/research experience than their knowledge of MK, and of course the quicker a job can be done, the cheaper it is to pay staff.

No, I just can't see that the end product will be anything more than mediocre if left purely to professional writers and researchers. No matter how good they are, they just won't have the time to learn and verify everything and it will just end up being rushed and full of mistakes. Whereas of course the hardcore fans would already know a huge amount and know where to look, so would be much more likely to have time to research and verify everything.

Also, the main content aside, I wouldn't put it past Netherrealm/WB to attempt to tie the Encyclopedia into the promotion of the latest MK game, which is what has happened with some encyclopedias for other franchises (Zelda Hyrule Historia for example had a really disproportionately large amount of pages dedicated to the latest game at the time) which takes away from the point of the book and quickly makes it seem dated.

So yeh, while I love the idea, I just don't believe it would meet expectations for hardcore fans.
I'm sure that NRS will do a great job. One thing about NRS is that they take feedback from their fans, so one can assume that they will have help from actual fans and not just writers. Not to mention that NRS themselves will help as well, ans Shawn is also an MK fan.

Also there is no new game on the horizon so no promotion is needed.
Last edited by Roy Arkon on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

No new game, as far as we know.

I suspect that the classic Mortal Kombat Games will at some point make it to the new consoles. Hopefully MK9 as well.
I Rule This World!

Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

I hope so.

Return to “News Articles”