Site Update: Kombat Kolumns Issue 3

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Site Update: Kombat Kolumns Issue 3

Post by Gambid »

Another two weeks have passed and we are again ready to publish the next issue of our Kombat Kolumns.
Today ded_ chose to take us back in time and review the all PC versions of Mortal Kombat that appeared on this platform throughout the years.

Click here to read the third issue of our Kombat Kulumns. See you again in two weeks.

Did you like this update? Then follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Discord.

I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
dr_st
Mortal
Side: Darkness

Re: Site Update: Kombat Kolumns Issue 3

Post by dr_st »

So, I feel weird replying to a topic that's 4 years old, but I've only discovered this great site recently, and only now have read this wonderful column.

Being almost exclusively a PC player, I identified with a lot of ded_'s comments, and was pleased to learn a few things I did not know about the PC versions, even though I've played them extensively myself.

I thought I could share a couple of small findings about the DOS versions of MK1 and MK2.

First of all, I've played the pre-release beta and the normal floppy release versions of MK1. Aside from the mentioned glitches, the beta version also lacks a built-in menu for sound/control configuration (had to be done with external utility) and thus, no DIP switches as well.

Also, some moves like Sub-Zero's slide and Sonya's leg grab are almost impossible to perform in the beta, when playing with the keyboard because they require 4 simultaneous keypresses (LP+LK+BL+direction), which most keyboard support poorly. I believe that because of this, in the final release, the combinations for these moves were changed to require only 3 buttons (LP+LK+BL), as a result - they are now much easier to pull off. Also, Sonya's projectile (B-B-LP) works consistently in the final version, where it doesn't in the beta (for some reason, it doesn't work so well in the Arcade version as well ; it seems to require something like LP-B-LP, intead of B-B-LP).

I haven't got to play the elusive CD version of MK1, but from what I hear everywhere, it's basically Arcade perfect, with all sounds and the Arcade music. The version shipped with the Arcade Kollection seems to be the same. It's considered the definitive version to play, but one thing to be said about the floppy version - is that it's MIDI music is very nice. I actually like the sound of it better than that of the Arcade version. I am not sure if the same MIDI tracks were also used in other home versions of MK1.

About MK2, I too was flustered with the difficulty of pulling off the AICULEDSSUL cheat code on fast PCs. Before I found out that it's actually possible to pause the game at that text screen and input it, I though about the "hack" approach - it's possible to edit the EXE file with a hex editor, find the scancode sequence corresponding to AICULEDSSUL, and replace it with any sequence of any length (just make sure to zero-pad it so that the EXE size does not change, or it will be totally corrupted!). I changed it so that a single F9 keypress activates the cheat mode on my executable.

This cheat mode in MK2 DOS mode is actually very cool, because not only it allows you to enable free play (which was done by a DIP switch in MK1), you can also turn on fatalities for the CPU players, and have a fatality demonstration, and also adjust the battle plan to start anywhere you want.

One off the very few things I disliked in MK2 was that the ladder was a bit too long, having you fight every single one of the 12 characters before getting to the bosses. In comparison, in later games you could have shorter ladders of just 5-6 warriors. I used to love battling Kintaro, so I would just set the ladder to start with him and play him over and over (this is how I learned to beat him consistently). Also, you can set the battle plan to "Mystery" and you will always be fighting Smoke, or set it to one before Mystery, and then if you win the round using only LK, you get to fight Jade. Very flexible and very fun. The flexible battle plan is the primary reason I enjoy playing the MK2 "Challenger" Arcade hack very much.

There are some interesting changes in the graphics and sounds between the Arcade and PC versions of MK2 as well. One thing is that for some reason (memory/space saving?) the walk sprites for all male ninjas are the same as for Sub-Zero. So Scorpion/Reptile have their own individual stances, like the Arcade, but when they walk - they are like Sub-Zero. The female ninjas do have their distinct walking sprites.

The "oh maw" sound that plays when you hold down after the Dead Pool fatality is present in the game audio files, but doesn't actually play. Instead the announcer will say "One".

Also, Kintaro's roar as he jumps around or throws you is completely different in the PC version.
Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Re: Site Update: Kombat Kolumns Issue 3

Post by Gambid »

Yep, it was kind of weird to see a new post in a 4 years old topic. Happy to see that people are still reading and enjoying the Kombat Kolumns.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster

Return to “News Articles”