Mortal Kombat: Legacy Season 2 Begins Filming

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Mortal Kombat: Legacy Season 2 Begins Filming

Post by Gambid »

If you are a fan of Mortal Kombat: Legacy then you are probably wondering, what happened with season 2, which was announced last July. Well, things are finally moving forward and we are happy to report that filming for the season began 4 days ago on November 28th. As usual the internet immediately filled with news about who is returning, who is not and who the new guys are. The list is of course far from complete at this stage:

Those we are leaving behind:
- Jeri Ryan will not be back as Sonya Blade. The actress is currently shooting season 3 of Body of Proof. No information is currently available as to how Ryan's departure will affect the character. Will Sonya be recast or written out.
- Tahmoh Penikett is not returning as Stryker. No information on the fate of the character here as well.
- Jolene Tran, who played Mileena in Season 1 will not be returning.
- Matt Mullins will not return as Johnny Cage as the studio has decided to go in a different direction and recast the role. In an interview with Shogun Gamer an obviously bummed out Mat Mullins shares some of the details regarding his departure from the series:

Matt: So then they requested footage from films that I worked on this last year which I gave them, and then they wanted me to actually read again for the second season. So I read and I auditioned for the same part as I did in season 1. Then they basically decided to go in another direction.

Of course I’m bummed out since I the role of Johnny Cage was something I felt I brought something unique to because the ability to make the action look good is important to Mortal Kombat, especially for a then web-based series. There’s a very quick turnaround time for someone to pull off the type of action that needs to be done and of course I felt that I brought something to the acting side as well.

Ironically my episode pretty much mirrored this entire situation that I went through. Almost identically which is pretty strange since I thought Shang Tsung was going to walk in my door after I got the news. Maybe if the film does come around things will change and I can get in that. But the production schedule is pretty short on the series so it would’ve been a nice thing to do and knock off. I was actually out of the country for six months this year working on different projects so it would’ve been nice to end the year this way, but overall this was a very good year to me.

Those, who are staying with us:
- Ian Anthony Dale is returning as Scorpion and was ready for shooting on day 1.
- Sam Tjhia who played Kitana in Season 1 posted on twitter, that she will be on the set on December 1st but without mentioning the name of the project she is working on. So, this one is still unconfirmed.

The new guys:
- Dan Southworth, the Quantum Time Force Ranger is joining the cast as a currently unknown character.
- Harry Shum Jr, best known for his portrayal of Mike Chang on the Fox television show Glee is another newcomer to the series and is playing a yet unknown character.

The second season of Mortal Kombat: Legacy was announced by series director Kevin Tancharoen in July:
Kevin Tancharoen also announced on Twitter that the second season of Mortal Kombat: Legacy will not affect the production of the new Mortal Kombat feature film. According to the latest reports the movie is also in the works and has a budget of about $40-$50 millions.

Visit our Mortal Kombat: Legacy section for much more information on the series and our Mortal Kombat: Legacy forum to discuss it. You can also watch the complete first season for free here.

Did you like this update? Then follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Discord.

I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster

Return to “News Articles”