Mortal Kombat Komes Back to the Big Screen (Updated)

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Mortal Kombat Komes Back to the Big Screen (Updated)

Post by Gambid »

Mortal Kombat: Legacy director Kevin Tancharoen announced on Twitter that the Mortal Kombat franchise will be making a return to the Big Screen as he was hired by New Line Cinema to direct the next Mortal Kombat movie with Oren Uziel as screen writer:
It has begun!!!! ... A Mortal Kombat movie is Koming...you in?
Several websites, including Deadline and The Hollywood Reporter reported the news:
The movie deal marks the end of a journey for Kevin Tancharoen, who will direct the new film. Tancharoen, a choreographer for Madonna and Britney Spears who directed the 2009 remake of Fame and more recently the Glee concert movie, directed a short film Mortal Kombat: Rebirth as a proof of concept for a Kombat movie he tried to pitch. A huge fan of the video game (and knowing Hollywood wouldn’t give him a shot at the title), he enlisted Oren Uziel to write the short and hired actors such as Michael Jai White and Jeri Ryan.
Uziel wrote and Tancharoen directed the eight-minute short film Mortal Kombat: Rebirth, which starred Michael Jai White as Jax, Jeri Ryan as Sonya Blade, Matt Mullins as Johnny Cage, Ian Anthony Dale as Scorpion and Lateef Crowder as Baraka. Tancharoen did this with the idea that he could prove himself to Warner Bros as an action director and reboot the movie franchise. Initially, Warner Games, which put out a video game reboot in April 2011, wasn’t amused and sought to shut down the project. But Tancharoen’s effort created enough of a demand when it leaked online that the studio’s digital division, Warner Premiere, made a deal with him to generate a 10-episode Web series. Those episodes began airing on YouTube in April 2011.
Update 01

Warner Bros Entertainment tweeted officially about the next Mortal Kombat movie:
WarnerBrosEnt: Yes, #MortalKombat fans, it's true. A movie is in the works: //lat.ms/pr5Es1 (via @latimes) #MK
New article from LA Times gives us even more details:
Warner Bros.' New Line Cinema label is partnering with the Burbank studio’s video game unit Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment to adapt for the big screen the tournament fighting series, which debuted on video game consoles in 1992. New Line is aiming to produce the new film next year and release it in 2013.
"It's really important that we show we can bring our game properties to movies instead of just the other way around," said Warner home entertainment President Kevin Tsujihara.
Tancharoen has now been tapped to direct the feature film, which is being written by his partner Oren Uziel. New Line president Toby Emmerich said the idea to do the movie came entirely from the work the director did online.

"The new game and the online shorts prompted us to consider a reboot of a brand we hadn’t been actively thinking about," he said.
Tancharoen said his new movie, which is expected to be produced for well under $100 million, will offer a more realistic take on the Mortal Kombat characters, who are best known for over-the-top killing moves called "fatalities."

Because the Mortal Kombat games and movies are now being made under the same studio roof, the film’s release is expected to be coordinated with the next game. Emmerich and Tusjihara both said they hope the next Mortal Kombat game will come out when the movie hits theaters, or potentially in a single package along with the DVD and Blu-ray.

Development of a “Mortal Kombat” movie had been held up by litigation between Warner and producer Lawrence Kasanoff, who worked on the two 1990s movies. The studio prevailed in one lawsuit over royalties owed for the years 2000-2004, but cases are pending over royalties for 2008 and ownership of the movie rights.

While Tsujihara declined to comment on the litigation, people close to the movie but not authorized to discuss the matter publicly said they believed the two sides were close enough to a resolution to move ahead on the project. Kasanoff and his attorney did not return calls requesting comment.
Stay Klose to Mortal Kombat Secrets as we bring you the latest news on the Mortal Kombat Universe.

Did you like this update? Then follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Discord.
Last edited by Gambid on Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
mk master 365
Grand Master
Side: Darkness
PSN: w2gMk

Re: Mortal Kombat Komes Back to the Big Screen (Updated)

Post by mk master 365 »

awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ← all caps
▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀
OX_Bigly
Mortal
XBox Live: OX Bigly

Post by OX_Bigly »

Lets hope that if it's a reboot they don't make the story after the most recent game (like they did with the first film)

It should strictly fallow the first game's story.

If it where up to me I would make it look like and old 70's kung fu movie (because that's what the first game was based on) complete with a Harryhausen-esque Goro.

But I can only imagine they will probably have characters from the most recent games because Hollywood is stupid.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Have you actually looked at the story of the original game?

Outworld does not even exist until MKII. MK1 actually has very little story, almost none of which has remained canon, except for some parts of the characters backgrounds.
I Rule This World!

OX_Bigly
Mortal

Post by OX_Bigly »

Gambid wrote:Have you actually looked at the story of the original game?

Outworld does not even exist until MKII. MK1 actually has very little story, almost none of which has remained canon, except for some parts of the characters backgrounds.
OK, so what's wrong about just making it about the tournament?
They find out that if this MK is won then the earth will be destroyed/taken over by outworld.

You don't have to do the complete story of MKII, just he parts that explain MKI, work on the character's backgrounds and weave the the reason Shang Tsung is using MK for his own goals/outworld.

All I'm saying is that if it's supposed to be about the first tournament people like Jade, Ketana, Rain, Smoke, and Bo Rai Cho should not be around.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

People like these will most probably not be around. They have hopefully learned their lesson from Annihilation.

MK1 and MK9 Story line is not that different. Actually the core of the MK1 part of MK9 and the assumed story of MK1 are almost identical.
I Rule This World!

OX_Bigly
Mortal

Post by OX_Bigly »

I will say one thing regardless of the story, if I have to here that stupid techno song in that movie I'm gonna barf in my popcorn.

How can you call something "The theme from Mortal Kombat" when it was never in the game?
mk master 365
Grand Master
Side: Darkness
PSN: w2gMk

Post by mk master 365 »

as long as they make haloween costumes of sub-zero/scorpion/reptile/smoke/cyrax (hopefully they will look the same as in mk9) i will be happy.
▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀
Infierno4551
God

Post by Infierno4551 »

Yes! I think they should be creative and try and stay away from what the original movie did.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

I think they will stay away. No one would wanna watch the same movie twice.
I Rule This World!

yashar
Mortal

Post by yashar »

thank you thank you

Return to “News Articles”