New Mortal Kombat Movie Starts Shooting Later This Year

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

New Mortal Kombat Movie Starts Shooting Later This Year

Post by Gambid »

The long wait might finally be over. It has just been announced that shooting for the new Mortal Kombat movie will begin later this year in Adelaide Australia with Aquaman director James Wan as producer. First-time filmmaker Simon McQuoid will be sitting in the director's chair.

Todd Gamer (Isn't It Romantic, Tag) also produces, with Larry Kasanoff (Mortal Kombat, True Lies), E. Bennett Walsh (Men in Black: International, The Amazing Spider-Man 2), Michael Clear (The Nun, Lights Out), and Sean Robins (Playing with Fire, Tag) executive producing. The current screenplay is by Greg Russo (the upcoming Highwaymen). Pre-production on Mortal Kombat will commence later this month with production later this year.

Steven Marshall, premier of South Australia, took this announcement to twitter, highlighting the positive effect on the local economy. Have a look:
The official press release gives us even more information:

South Australia 'Chosen' for Mortal Kombat

Adelaide: south Australia will be the stage for Mortal Kombat, New Line Cinema's highly anticipated epic action film, it was announced today by the Premier of South Australia Steven Marshall. Mortal Kombat is a bold cinematic adventure based on the blockbuster videogame franchise. Bringing the legendary property to life on the big-screen is a team of world-renowned Australian filmmakers led by producers James Wan (Aquaman, The Conjuring films) and award- winning commercial filmmaker Simon McQuoid, who is also taking the helm in his feature directorial debut.

Todd Gamer (Isn't It Romantic, Tag) also produces, with Larry Kasanoff (Mortal Kombat, True Lies), E. Bennett Walsh (Men in Black: International, The Amazing Spider-Man 2), Michael Clear (The Nun, Lights Out), and Sean Robins (Playing with Fire, Tag) executive producing. The current screenplay is by Greg Russo (the upcoming Highwaymen). Pre-production on Mortal Kombat will commence later this month with production later this year.

Premier Steven Marshall made the announcement today at Adelaide Studios alongside the film's Australian director, Simon McQuoid, executive producer E. Bennett Walsh, Australian production consultant Greg Basser (The Whistleblower, Passengers), and South Australia's Minister for Innovation and Skills, David Pisoni.

In making the announcement, Premier Steven Marshall said Mortal Kombat will create an estimated 580 jobs and 1,500 extras employed, along with some AUD $70 million injected into the South Australian economy.

Led by the Australian creative team of McQuoid and Wan, the film will be shot on Adelaide Studios' Sound Stages, utilizing the state's world-class crews and acting talent, with post- production in South Australia's internationally acclaimed visual effects and post-production facilities.

"South Australia has a long and successful tradition of feature film making and Mortal Kombat will showcase our production skills to the world," said Premier Steven Marshall. "Mortal Kombat will be the largest film production in South Australia's history and highlights the importance of engaging with the world's major production houses."

"The State Government's investment in Mortal Kombat will enhance the scope and reach of our production and post production capabilities, bringing the promise of fantastic new jobs for the local film industry," he said.

SOUTH AUSTRALIA 13:30 ACST Tuesday 14 May, 2019

Rumors about the new Mortal Kombat movie have been circulating the web ever since the epic fail of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation in cinemas worldwide and gained even more momentum after the release of Mortal Kombat: Rebirth and Mortal Kombat: Legacy.

Did you like this update? Then follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Discord.

I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Roy Arkon
God
Side: Darkness
PSN: RoyArkon46

Re: New Mortal Kombat Movie Starts Shooting Later This Year

Post by Roy Arkon »

Those are exciting news, everything is set to make it a great movie. I know it will be good, I can fill it. I wonder what games in the series are they gonna base the movie on, and which characters will make the cut. I mean it's most likely gonna be based on MK1, but even the first MK film, despite being mainly based on MK1, also had bits of MK2 and MK3 by having Kitana and Shao Kahn (at the end of the movie) who invades Earthrealm.

But once again, it's gonna be awesome, that's for sure.
No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome
Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

Can't wait either. I hope they won't screw it up like Annihilation. Hope they have learned their lesson.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Noob Cyborg
Immortal

Post by Noob Cyborg »

I'm curious what characters will be in this movie. I hope to be Goro and Kintaro.
"I am Goro! General to the armies of Outworld and Prince to the subterrianian realm of Shokahn..."ImageImage

Return to “News Articles”