Rumor: Mortal Komabat: Shaolin Monks Sequel In Development

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Rumor: Mortal Komabat: Shaolin Monks Sequel In Development

Post by Gambid »

The Game Reviews.Com has published an article discussing a few rumors and tried to back them up with some facts. One of those rumors is about the possible release of a sequel to Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks.

Please note that this news is not officially confirmed yet and we suggest that you interpret it as a rumor. From the article:
Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks 2 in development?

There have been a few Mortal Kombat spin-offs as of late. Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero and Mortal Kombat: Special Forces come to mind, and let’s just say both should have stayed on the drawing board. That, though, doesn’t mean the other spin-off is on the same level of crappiness, oh no. Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks was good, very good, and has fast become MK fans’ favorite MK game. Shaolin Monks was centered around fan favorites Liu Kang and Kung Lao as they go on a journey to defeat Shang Tsung and Shao Kahn. Other MK favorites made an appearance either as aiding allies like Johnny Cage and Sonya or were end-of-level bosses like Scorpion and Reptile. The game was received critically and commercially well but no word has been spoken yet regarding a sequel, until now.

Thanks to TGR reader “tommystockley” TheGameReviews.com has learned that Shaolin Monks 2 may very well be in the cards.

A while back, Hector Sanchez and Hans Lo did an MKast for the official MK website. During this podcast they were asked by fellow MK fans if they would consider developing another Shaolin Monks. They went on record saying that if there is enough demand for said game then they would seriously consider it. Nothing was said for a few months after that, but the game popped up once again during an MKast addressing what the thousands of MK fans were discussing in the forums, and a few hints were dropped regarding the game’s development. Now we all know about the financial situation at Midway games and how they have filled for Chapter 11. What we learned from the court documents is the fact that Midway has two MK teams on different projects. One team is working on the just-announced Mortal Kombat 9, and the other is working on an action/urldventure game... I wonder what that could be?

Midway is in need of their biggest asset bringing in the cash, and what better than a fully mature-rated MK game with high-definition fatalities and also a sequel to the highly rated Shaolin Monks? I think this is a no-brainer, and being a Mortal Kombat fan, I feel like I’m in MK heaven. You bet your ass this is happening and you can expect an announcement at either GDC next week or E3 in the summer. EXCELLENT!

TGR Rating: Highly Likely
Click here to read the entire article.

We will post more details as information gets available.

Did you like this update? Then follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Discord.

I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Darkness-Lord
Apprentice

Re: Rumor: Mortal Komabat: Shaolin Monks Sequel In Development

Post by Darkness-Lord »

now this is real good news :P hope to se some more of this and it has been a while since the last update :P
Let Mortal Kombat Begin
Sub-Zero
God
Side: Darkness
XBox Live: Korig

Post by Sub-Zero »

This would be really awesome! Would love the same type of game. I'd prefer more characters for it though.
Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

I just hope, that there is something true in all this.

I should probably say, that a step like this seems logical at this point. I only hope that they won't rush the game/games.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Tommy2312
Mortal
Location: Look Behind you, you will see somebody that isn´t me

Post by Tommy2312 »

I Hope this is real! if is real, and Ed Boon and MK Team is working in this title, i can´t wait for buying it when it come to my local videogame store
I am Mortal
I am a Thief and Assassin
I am a Lin Kuei Warrior
I am...Sub-Zero

Return to “News Articles”