Original Idea for MK 1 and Boss Fatalities

OX_Bigly
Mortal
XBox Live: OX Bigly

Original Idea for MK 1 and Boss Fatalities

Post by OX_Bigly »

Is it true that the original idea for Mortal Kombat was to have a "celebrity Kung Fu" game modeled after old 70's films?
Cage = Van Damme
Liu Kang = Bruce Lee
Sub Zero & Scorpion = Generic Ninja
Goro = Harryhausen stop motion creature
Shang Tsung = Grand Master

Also,
I remember reading somewhere that there was supposed to be fatalities for Goro & Shang Tsung and the unfinished sprites where still in the game code.
Goro was either to grab you and squeeze you until your head popped off or hold you and punch it off.
And Tsung was supposed to use his sword.
Is that true? and if so are the unfinished sprites anywhere on the net to see?

Thanks

The Reptile
Warrior

Re: Original Idea for MK 1 and Boss Fatalities

Post by The Reptile »

Well I know that kang and johnny cage were supposed to resemble those characters. The other's are probably right but I'm not sure about the fatalities, probably so though. You forgot about Reptile though ;)
I am Reptile! And I do not answer to you! Fight!

Image Image
OX_Bigly
Mortal
XBox Live: OX Bigly

Post by OX_Bigly »

The Reptile wrote:Well I know that kang and johnny cage were supposed to resemble those characters. The other's are probably right but I'm not sure about the fatalities, probably so though. You forgot about Reptile though ;)
As a side about Reptile.
I liked the idea of the MK1 Reptile "yellow & blue make green" with the mix of powers IMO somewhat better than what he has become.
I only say that because when MKII came out and I saw you can play as him I was let down because his moves where not the same.
Someone needs to do a proper hack of the arcade MK 1 to allow you to play as the 3 npcs.
The Reptile
Warrior

Post by The Reptile »

oh yes, that would be good. But if they were to make him with the moves of them both, then scorpion and subs would be out the picture,plus the storyline would have to be different. Maybe in future they can make a klassic version of Reptile with those old moves back, as you can fight him in MK9 as a secret in Arcade, along with Jade, Noob, Smoke and someone else. Tbh, i actually prefer his current moveslist right now, but maybe that would've changed if he retained his ancient moves.
I am Reptile! And I do not answer to you! Fight!

Image Image
Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

Reptile with his classic moves appeared in Mortal Kombat 9 as a hidden fighter at the bottom of the pit.

The Development story of Mortal Kombat is incredibly rich. I believe these two pages can answer all of your questions:

http://www.mksecrets.net/forums/eng/vie ... f=5&t=5271
http://www.mksecrets.net/mk1/eng/mk-development.php
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster

Return to “Mortal Kombat 1 (1992)”