Most consistent methods to beat the CPU in MK2

WantToBeatTheAI
Mortal

Most consistent methods to beat the CPU in MK2

Post by WantToBeatTheAI »

Hello, my fellow MK2 fans!

This isn't new news. But I think it's good to keep around in case anyone had absolutely no idea and no clue on what the hell to do if they want to beat the game and became frustrated.

I know there are many of you out there that loved this game and had played it back in the arcades cause I know I sure did and we all remember how frustrating and cheap the CPU can be.

Well that's true, but the way it works is that for cheap and annoying to beat CPU/AI opponents they all come with at least a minor programming flaw in their patterns/behavior somewhere that in time players will discover and can take advantage of to actually have a chance to beat them.

Now I don't know if Ed Boon and John Tobias themselves were aware of it the whole time, or whether left it intentionally in the game as it is just so players can spend tons and tons of quarters and coins to figure it out back in the day.

There are videos and even a FAQ of this on GameFAQs. But here's my explanation of it:

It's a spoiler of sorts but don't say I didn't warn you. It can get boring after a while, but it's not a 100% guarantee you'll win every single match or round, but it greatly increases your chance of making it all the way to the Bosses and gives you the opportunity and possibility to finish the game WITHOUT ever having to use ANY Continues

First off, I highly advise to set the game's difficulty to maximum which is typically Very Hard. This method can work on lower difficulties but on normal difficulty (Medium), you would have to wait at least until the 3rd or 4th opponent before the pattern exploit kicks in.

These methods are only known to work 100% on the Arcade version and the semi-Arcade Perfect ports of the game, they won't work on the portable editions. They do work on the 16-bit versions as far as I remember.

Next, you must be playing on the "Left" side (Player 1) as this method won't work on the "Right" (Player 2) Side.

This method however, unfortunately will NOT WORK with the following characters: Liu Kang, Kitana, Mileena, Raiden, and Kung Lao. Actually this pattern exploit sometimes work Kung Lao but only for very briefly for the first 2 or 3 opponents and then after that it just somehow stops working so you can't depend on it.

If anyone knows of a consistent method that will work with those characters on Player 1 side, then please contribute and add to this. Otherwise they must use the Player 2 side and use an alternate pattern exploit which will be my next part of this guide.

Ok, ok I know I layed out some requirements, just make sure they are met before attempting to test this, but it's all clearly explained on what you Exactly must do first an then applying the method described below.

This is the method:

1 - You wait for the computer to walk close to you, best to crouch first and then once they get close to you, immediately jump back. You have to time this correctly or they will throw you immediately. Jump back before they get too close, but NOT when they are too far and not close enough. It gets hard at first if your reaction and timing isn't very good so just practice repeatedly to get the feeling of, ok now I know this is when I should jump, so it's not too early or too late.

2 - Then the CPU pauses briefly, and then jumps toward you without attacking.

It happens majority of the time as in over 90% when on Very Hard.

If you jump too early as in distance between you and the CPU opponent is not close enough then the CPU may jump immediately to pursue you rather than pausing briefly.

3 - When the CPU jumps into you following you jumping back, you would land first. This pattern flaw leaves them wide open for a brief moment but still more than enough time to counter attack them right before they land.

4 - Use HK, LK, Roundhouse Uppercut, Projectile (some work better than others), Jump/Hop Punch/Kick but HK and Roundhouses work best and are most consistent.

5 - Stay entirely out of the corners whenever you are jumping away from them with this trick, it works ONLY outside of corners. If you are in a corner just crouch and let them throw you, then when recovering from the throw, jump away again to reset the opportunity. Rinse and repeat, if properly times you could win against all regular CPU opponents without losing even a single round or match.

Oh, then there's the bosses.

For Kintaro, it's about timing a jump kick and at a proper distance. About sweep distance, slightly further closer or further. Yea, this guy is a real pain in the ass, I absolutely hate his throw since he frequently blocks and then counters you with it. Still find him more easier to beat and exploit consistently compared to Motaro.

Most of the time he will try to uppercut you but constantly misses and end up being countered by you jump kick instead. This should give you the opportunity to stay in the lead or inflict enough damage on him to keep the chance of finishing the match close.

If he starts blocking your uppercut and throws you, you should jump back multiple times, and then when you are close to the corner and he's walking toward you, jump and kick him again when he attempts to uppercut you. Make sure the distance is proper.

As for Shao Kahn, most of the characters that have good reach with their kicks (All Ninjas, Jax, and Johnny Cage) can just abuse and spam LK and mix in HK repeatedly when Kahn attempts to get close to them. It's not 100% universal method here to beat him, but it's the most simplest method I've known and confirmed.

Here's a video for what most of what I just tried to explain:

More up next on another known exploit when using the Player 2 side.

Parallax MK
Mortal

Re: Most consistent methods to beat the CPU in MK2

Post by Parallax MK »

Hi friend, in the MK2 the IA is this. Work in the all characters.

WantToBeatTheAI
Mortal

Parallax MK wrote:Hi friend, in the MK2 the IA is this. Work in the all characters.
Thanks Parralax.

That's very interesting. I always figured the Player 1 Side would be hard to near impossible for characters that can Not trick the computer to pause and jump after the player jumps back from them once they get close.

However the one thing I noticed is that although this is the Arcade version on MAME, it's a modified Hack version.

Even the Character Select screen is different compared to the official Revisions of the game.

Because it says Ultimate MKII TE, so I'd know it's not the original Revision 3.1 which is the "Final" revision in general (Revision 3.2 was the Final Revision for European release).

Although I do know that the same methods I posted above still applied and worked in Hacks such as Revision 4.2, 9.1, and Challenger, so it's still consistent. I've tested them myself so it's still possible and consistent although it gets a bit harder since if you lose to the Hidden Characters like Jade or Smoke you would have to continue as the game does not allow you to re-select your character. Sometimes you would have to fight Kintaro in the beginning for the Challenger Hack.

I'm Not sure if all the methods I've seen here, particularly part where the player suckers the CPU to do a "missed" hop kick after jumping in at the correct distance and timing works or not on the more official revisions of the game such as on PS3, XBOX360, and PC (and some other older 16-bit/32-bit editions).

However, I'll test them once I get the chance.

Do you have videos that can demonstrate whether or not these same CPU Pattern exploits are possible on unmodified MK2 games such as Revision 3.1?

Also do you have links to any videos for Raiden, Kung Lao and Mileena demonstrating, similar or exact pattern exploitation to beat the computer consistently?
WantToBeatTheAI
Mortal

Never mind I think I found the solutions for Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Mileena, Kitana and Raiden when Playing them on Player 1 side on modern Arcade Perfect/Semi-Perfect Ports:

Liu Kang

Kung Lao

Kitana

Mileena

Raiden
dr_st
Mortal
Side: Darkness

Post by dr_st »

I can really appreciate the time and effort you spent in finding and documenting the exploit you mention in your first post. I think you've done a terrific job, and it is great info to add to the accumulated knowledge of the MK games.

Sadly, despite all that, I don't like it and I wouldn't recommend anyone to use it. It's way too specific, requires precise timing, limited to particular configurations, most likely only some versions, and excluding a good deal of characters, it's just not universal enough to be considered a viable exploit. At the same time, even in cases where it works, it is just not fun and doesn't resemble normal gameplay in any way.

The videos in your last post, showing individual ladders for the various characters are, in contrast, much more fun to watch, and I imagine also fun to execute. They use a mixture of universal tactics that can be considered "minor exploits" (repetitive jumpkicks, sweeps to get the AI to jump away), and individual tactics tailored to each character.

From my own experience, it is universally possible to beat all AI characters (bosses excluded) using such a mixture of techniques, on Very Hard, and it appears to be somewhat universal (as is, works at least on all Arcade versions, and the PC version, which are the best versions of MK2, and probably the only ones worth playing anyway).

Depending on your skill, reflexes, personal choice of strategies, and luck, it may require more or less credits (I usually get through the ladder with about 5-6, but I am convinced that there are far better players out there that can do it without losses or with only 1-2). In any case, given that no one plays this game in the actual arcades anymore, there isn't a monetary value to beating it without continues, and so I don't assign high importance to this particular feature. It is much more important for me to have fun while beating the game, and MK2 does allow for this, without needing any over-the-top exploits. :)

Regarding Kintaro, you posted some interesting info in your video. I too encountered the "almost universal" glitch which allows you to beat Kintaro most of the time with nothing but jump kicks which his uppercut misses. I am intrigued by your finding that it doesn't work nearly as much on a real Arcade. It doesn't work on PC version either. Hence, I actually had to learn to beat Kintaro in focused, drawn out, careful battles, since the PC version is the one I grew up with. To this date I find him as probably the most satisfying boss to beat in any fighting game.

The best way to beat Shao Kahn, IMO, is the one shown in the videos in your last post. Jump in front of him, duck, if he does anything but the shadow shoulder (which he does maybe 1 in 3, or less), uppercut and repeat. Easy to do, requires no precise timing, works with every character, 70-80% of winning the round. When using Shang Tsung, spice it up by following the uppercut with triple fireballs. He never blocks them for some reason.
Allo
Mortal

Post by Allo »

WantToBeatTheAI, what was the player 2 side exploit you mentioned? I've been aware of the player 1 side trick you mentioned which requires you to jump back just as the computer approaches you, but am not aware of a player 2 side trick. Could you please share? Thanks!
Mkillbill
Mortal

Post by Mkillbill »

I realize this thread is quite old, but I'd like to provide an answer to the question. As part of Nintendo's super power Club challenges, Mortal Kombat 2 was featured. This very challenged was asked, and I believe you'll find the perfect answer right here.

https://youtu.be/WOX3goul-nE?si=z9NVinVSIhmcBdoi

Return to “Mortal Kombat II”