What is the problem with MK4?

Kaihedgie
Mortal

What is the problem with MK4?

Post by Kaihedgie »

Hell if I know. MK4 is a pretty solid game in its own right. It's fast paced, great gameplay and controls and where the highly touted 3D part requires execution and skill to use effectively. Heck, MK4 is one of the few games in the entire genre that actively discourages infinite combos with the introduction of the Maximum Damage cap which knocks down both kombatants and preventing the attacker from winning via an otherwise inescapable loop. And unlike the previous and future games, the combos were not preset towards any specific character so it was easy for anyone to jump into the game without immediately feeling handicapped by other players who had more than enough time to practice the combos. So the problem is, why is it considered bad? Why do some others consider it the worst ever?

The only logical reason I could find was the fact that it replaced several of the more iconic characters with fresh blood. Yeah, I could understand the hate on Jarek, but what about Reiko, Kai, Tanya and all of them? They seemed pretty awesome what with they way they fought and how, when they first appeared, they actually had the ability to speak instead of communicating via yells and grunts. Sure, they spoke a lot of gibberish during combat, but then again, that's where that started.

roboronald10
Master
Side: Light
PSN: KlassicGODZILLA9

Re: What is the problem with MK4?

Post by roboronald10 »

to me, it seemed pretty unbalanced. I liked the game and all and the Maximum Damage thing was good because my friends would pull off the inescapable mid punch on me in Trilogy and UMK3. I dislike it because it took to long to take out a weapon and the playability with them. I understand that this was a new thing that MK did,but I thought they could've done a better job. I actually hated Reiko and Fujin. Kai, Quan Chi, and Shinnok were the only ones that appealed to me. Tanya was ok. I agree with you, MK4 is sorta like those underrated games that are like only by the klassic players. If you had read other posts, I have revealed my age, but I actually took the time to play Mortal Kombat from the 1st and onward. Trilogy was my first MK,but who cares.
Kaihedgie
Mortal

Post by Kaihedgie »

I don't think the problem was that they took too long to pull out, it might have been the fact that you were unsafely doing so. You should only pull out a weapon at the end of a combo or an uppercut.
Gambid
Elder God
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

Mortal Kombat 4 was not a game without it's problems:

The weapons were not used much and there was a lot of place left for improvements there.
The home versions were, well... crap

I like it btw :)

Btw this topic is in the wrong category. Please be more careful next time.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Kaihedgie
Mortal

Post by Kaihedgie »

Gambid wrote:Mortal Kombat 4 was not a game without it's problems:

The weapons were not used much and there was a lot of place left for improvements there.
The home versions were, well... crap

I like it btw :)

Btw this topic is in the wrong category. Please be more careful next time.
You guys keep saying things without explaining yourselves. Why was it bad? How can anyone determine this if no one has really played the original version without an emulator since MK4 barely works on there.
roboronald10
Master
PSN: KlassicGODZILLA9

Post by roboronald10 »

Fact is, a neighbor of mine used to have the game on N64, and I remember an arcade someplace that had MK4. I played it awhile, and I was boss with Kai. About the N64, despite it being a home version, the gameplay was pretty damn close, to me. At least the game wasn't like MK Gold, that thing was too damn glitchy.
ded
God

Post by ded »

The problem with MK4 were the home versions. They got faster, choppy and glitch gameplay, ugly graphics and misc game glitches.

The only problem with the arcade version, was the slowdown and camera glitches, which were abused by the fans.

Weapons were used actually a lot! Esp for Sub-Zero and Shinnok, since these had low weapon attacks.
LordSpleach
Mortal
PSN: FANSMEGINGTASTIC

Post by LordSpleach »

For me, the controls were too stiff. It tried to play like a 3D MK3 and that's not a good idea. Also, I didn't like the weapons cause it was not intuitive enough for me to use them. As far the characters, I didn't mind them. What I hated is the fact that didn't stick with most of them to flesh out their story, and balance the fighting style. So they only got slapped back in by Armageddon.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

The Arcade Controls didn't even include buttons for the side step move. Mortal Kombat 4 was trying to pass for a 3D fighter while remaining mostl of its 2D game play.
I Rule This World!

Yellow Ledbetter
Apprentice
PSN: AMULETofSHINNOK

Post by Yellow Ledbetter »

I love the game, I really see this 'errors' as minor imperfections. I also love to kick Shinnok's ass.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Graphics aside, the home version of Mortal Kombat 4 is actually fun to play. But it could have been so much more.
I Rule This World!

NikolatheEvil
Mortal
PSN: No
XBox Live: No

Post by NikolatheEvil »

It was no Trilogy, to be sure, but I still wouldn't really call it a failed game. I liked most new characters, the mystical story, the new sorcerer (deserved to appear in MK far earlier IMO), the relatively easy-to-learn gameplay, the old Tekken-ish 3D feel... I guess it was left unfinished in most fields due to the deadlines the NRS had to fulfil, having been overoccupied with the 2D MKs all the past years. Hence the creators kinda bit somewhat more than they could chew with the 3D design and graphics (chances are the game would have had less disadvantages had it been done 2D style and with the old graphics, as less time and energy would have been spent on the "innovations").

Personally, I absolutely hated the AI in MK4. It has indeed remained the aspect I never got over.

Return to “Mortal Kombat 4/Gold”