MKX Cyberdemon DLC Idea - Why The 90's Titans Must Clash

EpicJason9000
Mortal
Side: Darkness

MKX Cyberdemon DLC Idea - Why The 90's Titans Must Clash

Post by EpicJason9000 »

first things first, I don't automatically support DLC characters or content unless the explanation behind it is reasonable and it made sense. which is why I wasn't a big fan of adding Kratos, Jason Voorhees, the Alien, or the Predator in the new game. however, there is one character that I think would not only be perfect for MKX that not too many people thought about: the Cyberdemon from Doom.

think about it for a minute. who were the 2 kings of brutal M-Rated games back in the 90's? Mortal Kombat & Doom. besides Mortal Kombat X, what other video game is coming out soon? Doom 4 (or simply known as Doom). what would be the most bad ass demon from Doom to fight against the forces of Earthrealm? the Cyberdemon.

now I know some of you will say that he's too big. sure, but there's plenty of ways to work around it in a way that would make sense. so, why the Cyberdemon instead of the other demons? because I think the Cyberdemon is the most ruthless and feared demon of the Doom series, and the other demons have major drawbacks from their weight, lack of movement, or just lack of brutality. maybe the Hell Knights, but I doubt it. besides, the Cyberdemon has the ability to use his arm canon and could work extremely well as a brute.

so, what would be his variations? well, I would name them after the Doom games. Hell On Earth, Absolution, & Resurrection Of Evil. comment bellow and see what moves and abilities you could come up with. so, what would be the cherry on top? 2 things.

1 - have the Cyberdemon come with a guest background. which background? how about hell itself with the Icon Of Sin staring at you above a pool of lava. sort of like a cross mix of the Icon Of Sin stage from Doom II as well as the Game Over screen from Mortal Kombat Trilogy that had an ocean of lava. a stage fatality could have a character uppercut their opponent into the pits of hell bellow or access the Icon Of Sin to either blow them up or feed it to it's giant mouth.
&
2 - Brutal Doom heavy metal music. if there's one theme that I think would be perfect for the guest character stage, it would be "The Waste Tunnels" from Doom II.this is a perfect example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJUrKvt2ABc

while I was unsuccessful, I did try to set up a petition at this site: http://it.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/th ... -x?lang=it

I think it's an amazing idea, 2 of the most bloodiest gaming franchises of the 90's finally going head to head. you know else agreed with me on this? John Romero. when I used to have a Twitter account, I actually sent the idea straight to him, and he favorited the comment. you know who else liked this idea? John Vogal. if both John Romero & John Vogal liked the idea, then why not add him in the game? as one person put it: "Flawless victory and Flawless idea". so, do you agree or disagree? let me know in the comments section bellow.

Roy Arkon
God
PSN: RoyArkon46

Re: MKX Cyberdemon DLC Idea - Why The 90's Titans Must Clash

Post by Roy Arkon »

I wasn't sure about the idea at first, but after reading your points, I agree that it is a great idea. I am not a big fan of Doom nowadays, but I used to play A LOT back in the day, so I can see the vision coming from your idea. I actually would be happy if NRS would see it and at least consider this idea, so we can have the Cyberdemon in MKX for KP3, or at least in MK11.
No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome
EpicJason9000
Mortal

Post by EpicJason9000 »

yeah, I can see it for Kombat Pack 3. and like I said above, I actually went out to contact both John Romero & John Vogal about it when I was on Twitter, and they actually liked the idea. it would certainly be a cool way to promote Doom 4, plus it's not like demons would not fit within Mortal Kombat. hell, Corrupted Shinnok is probably the major reason why I think the Cyberdemon would fit perfectly in Mortal Kombat far more so than the DLC's we've gotten so far. I'm glad that people like this idea, maybe with enough support, we'll get him in the game.
Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

Agree with you right here.
EpicJason9000
Mortal

Post by EpicJason9000 »

one thing I would consider is that MK 11 or MKXX would be the last of the series. mainly because I don't know if they have enough good ideas to keep it going and going. one thing that they should do which I think is a good idea is expand their IP's. beyond Mortal Kombat & Injustice, they really don't have anything else. that's why I think they should do 1 of 3 things:

1 - release a 4th Midway Arcade Treasures style game or a Netherrealm Studios Arcade Treasures (man, I still can't get used to that name). mainly because there's a ton of Midway arcade games that has yet to be re-released on home consoles. this would include Tron, The Grid, Terminator 2 Arcade, & Mortal Kombat 4. when was the last time Mortal Kombat 4 got released? it's been far too long. I think it's about time for a decent updated so that it can get a proper re-release.

2 - they should do another Mythologies game. sure it had some mixed results, but I think there's still room for improvement. one Mythologies game that I actually think could be a worthy story to tell is Smoke. think about it, do we really know anything about him aside from a few story plot points from MK9? one thing they could do is do an entire backstory on the cyber initiative that was depicted in the bio's of MK3. not only would it be a great story to tell, but it would give us a chance to see the original cyber initiative from a different perspective. the clan being transformed, the moment that led to the Grand Master moving his plan forward, Sub-Zero marked for death, his escape and Smoke's capture, there's so much you can do with it.

& 3 - remake and/or reboot older Midway fighting games. while Primal Rage is a worthy contender for a reboot that I think would do extremely well now a days, but I think one of the 3 obscure 90's Midway fighters deserves a remake. while most people tend to confuse the two, they are completely different things. a reboot is brining back new life to an already established franchise, a remake is starting over from scratch. and to be honest, a title that didn't originally do so well is the most deserving of a remake, not something that is already well made & popular. now, from the 3 forgotten Midway fighters, Mace The Dark Age, Wargods, & Bio Freaks, I personally think Bio Freaks has the best potential to be brought back. the art style is amazing, the music is pretty bad ass, the voice announcer (while no where from bring as bad ass as Chris Sutherland from Killer Instinct) is still awesome, and the final boss is simply epic. the only problem I think it truly had were the controls and the camera. other than that, I think with the right crew and the right ideas in place, a Bio Freaks remake would be rather cool and it would give NRS a new fighter that isn't MK and/or Injustice. I mean, they can't just do MK & DC fighters forever, right?

with MK getting harder and harder to impress, I think they should end it on a high note with MK 11 instead of milking this franchise to the point of a potential 3rd crash. and since MK has already had 2 major downhill turns in the entire series history, maybe it's time for a proper finale, wouldn't you say?
Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

I really don't think that MK is gonna stop anytime soon. NRS and WB both make a ton of money from it, all of the competitive community for MK finally get attention and it's growing bigger, and it doesn't seem like NRS ran out of ideas. Ed Boon said already after MK Armageddon that he wanted to make a next gen MK game with a bunch of new characters, which is what we got in MKX, and new we have a cast of new characters that eventually gonna fully replace some of the MK vets. I don't think Boon wanted to create new characters for just one or two games, and the new characters look awesome and welcoming in comparison to the questionable cast of the 3D games. I think MK is here to stay, and I don't want it to go.

As for your ideas, I really like your idea for having a MK:MSZ-like and/or a MK:SM-lie game for Smoke, that would be a great idea. Maybe they can make a game with Reptile, you know, like a stealth game of sorts. And how about Scorpion? If Sub-Zero got his own game, Scorpion should get one as well. Hell, considering the arcade endings for Reptile and Scorpion from MKX, maybe they cane make those endings as canon and give Reptile his own stealth game as he was sent by Kotal Kahn to check the results of the war with Shinnok, or making a game with Scorpion who now works for the Elder Gods along with the Shirai Ryu. Any of those ideas would work for me, including the Smoke one.

Speaking of ideas, I've sent that idea to NRS via Facebook that next year, which will mark the 25th anniversary for MK, NRS should release a new collection of old MK games to celebrate the occasion. The games I had in mind are UMK3 (so we would have one of the old 2D games), MK4 in it's original arcade format (hopefully they can make it), MK:DA (so you will have one of the 3D games), and MK Shaolin Monks (so we would have the best non-fighting MK game). That way we would've one game of MK in any of his formats, and that collection would represent the history of the series. Also, none of the post-UMK3 games were ported to next gen systems, and that would be a perfect opportunity to do it.
EpicJason9000
Mortal

Post by EpicJason9000 »

well, they have already released the 2D games to death. if they ever decided to do an arcade collection of just MK games, then they would have to include Mortal Kombat 3 and not just UMK3. Mortal Kombat 4 is the last MK arcade game to be released to consoles, and since 1997, it has yet to be ported properly to home consoles. the games I considered were games that hasn't been released in quite sometime or games that weren't released to home consoles nor live arcades. The Gird was one of them I mentioned as well as T2 Arcade. imagine how easy it would of been to have T2 Arcade released on PSN & Xbox Live Arcade during the release of Terminator Genisys.

on a side note, if there's any classic 2D Mortal Kombat game that needs to be ported and patched up completely, it's Mortal Kombat Trilogy. it hasn't been completely fixed since the PS1 days, you technically can't play it too well on the PlayStation 2, and it still maintains serious glitches and bugs that were never fixed. they could easily patch it up to meet the Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 standards since technology has gotten better. also, if there's one thing from MKT that I still think should of been a stage fatality, it's the Game Over Screen. that would of been an amazing stage fatality. you can have it look like the stage Lost, but have it similar to the pit where instead of knocking off the opponent to a bed of spikes, a pool of acid, stone floors, or spinning saw blades, it's an ocean of lava. that's another thing to consider for Kombat Pack 3 and/or MK 11.

as far as MK being here to stay, the developers did in fact mention that it's getting harder for them to come up with ideas. I like MK just as much as everyone else, but even the developers can't continue this franchise forever. they're getting old, the franchise has been around for quite a long time, and a lot of what they're doing in MKX is in some ways treading water. that's the ultimate truth about any franchise and the cold hard truth about reality: nothing lasts forever. I suggested that maybe instead of milking the franchise to death even further, that they should end the series at MK 11 mainly because I think it would be better & wiser for them to go out on a high note. plus it would be the 3rd chapter of a trilogy, sort to speak. they could bring things full circle and have a proper finale that the fans would be satisfied with. realistically, I think they should end it while the pot is still boiling, not after they run out of steam, if you get what I'm saying. and based on the history of the franchise, I don't think anyone wants the series to fail a 3rd time. so, maybe instead of working on Mortal Kombat over and over again, why not create a new fighting game entirely? if not, then I think it's time to consider whether or not the MK franchise can continue on as fans keep claiming. I ask this question because if the developers have already mentioned that it's getting harder to come up with ideas, then maybe that's a sign where they should just end on a high note and go out with a bang. in either case, it's just an honest opinion.
Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

Maybe it's harder, but it's not impossible, and it's not necessarily a sign for ending the series, as MK has just become even bigger then ever, with now a much more focus on the competitive side of the series and the new characters. And like I said, I don't think that NRS tried so hard to create next-gen MK characters just for 2 games. If Ed Boon had this idea for several years, I don't think he planned to have that idea for just one or two games and cool it a series. Even if MK would've take a break, it would probably be like what Street Fighter had between SF3 and SF4, and even that is unlikely. I don't think NRS should be afraid, they learned form their mistakes and they always manage to make every game special in it's own right. I believe the future looks good for MK.

As for the old games pack, I only mentioned UMK3 as 2D game, MK4,MK:DA and MK:SM were 2.75D/3D games with the two latter's being console only games, and MK4, even on the console never managed to truly recreate the atmosphere of the arcade due to the Zeus chip, which made for the console companies hard times to emulate MK4 to the consoles, which is why we got MK Gold , and even that game got mixed reviews. That is why I think they should release those gams along with UMK3.

As for MKT, I don't think that NRS should try to patch it and fix it's bugs. Yes it would be great and all, but porting a game and patching a game are two different games. It was a fun game of course, I still have my copy of it for the PC, even though it was HARD AS HELL.

And yes I agree about the Game Over screen.
EpicJason9000
Mortal

Post by EpicJason9000 »

well, this is where I have to respectfully disagree. Ed Boon and his team have done a great job, but not everything they're doing is smart. and, to be brutally honest, I think they should re-hire John Tobias. why? because I think he had a much firmer grasp on the story than John Vogal does. and trust me, not everything John Tobias did was great either, but it's something that I think fans have forgotten about after all these years. Mortal Kombat was successful because of both John Tobias & Ed Boon. they were better as a team & the series was much stronger when they were still a team. originally John Tobias' primary role was co-creator & lead designer while Ed was co-creator and lead programer. some of his later ideas didn't pan out too well, but at least he was willing to take risks and do something different rather than doing the same story over and over again.

and over time after John Tobias left, the story has in many ways gotten lazier. MK9's story is filled with plot holes with the MK3 timeline being the most problematic. MKX is no exception. if you watch the Gaming Sins videos, he makes some perfectly good points about the inconsistencies & plot holes that are still in both games. in MKX, the good guys are way too op, the bad guys power levels are far too inconsistent, and things happening based on bulls*** circumstances. and as much as we like the new characters they keep introducing, no can argue that the microtransactions are not only hurting this game, but it's hurting the entire video game industry. not one person I see talk about it supports this kind of business practice. either it's the developers fault or the consumers fault, I think it's both. but, I digress.

sure, MK is a money maker, I have no doubts about that. but let me ask the following question. would you rather have a decent small amount of games or numerous mediocre ones? Ed Boon is part of the reason why MK is still around, but not even the developers are going to be able to keep the franchise going for another 20 years. the future isn't bright because it hasn't happened yet, and it's entirely possible for MK to fail again. and like I said, based on the 2 downhill moments in the franchise and the over all grand scheme of things, is that really a good thing? ultimately, if the developers have in deed learned from their past mistakes, then wouldn't they be more open and honest about the current mistakes they're making and at least acknowledge when their series is almost running it's course? and if the developers have mentioned that it's getting harder for them to come up with new ideas, then shouldn't we the fans be asking these serious questions about whether or not the series has anything new or fresh left to offer instead of outright dismissing these questions?

as for MK4, the arcade version got great reviews, but the home consoles were mixed. and yes I am well aware that the Zeus chip made it hard to port to home consoles. but the thing is that it's been almost 20 years since then, and I'm positive that the technology has caught up to the point where it's no longer a problem. they should at least give it another shot since the fans have been asking for it for years. and here lies the biggest problem: why would NRS not give the fans what they keep asking for over 2 decades? much like The Grid & T2 Arcade, why wouldn't they have the resources to release them for Xbox Live & PSN when Rare Replay was able to port Battletoads Arcade and KI fans finally got their hands on KI 1 & KI 2 arcade for the Ultra Editions? there really isn't anything stopping them from releasing them, and honestly I'd rather have a proper port of Mortal Kombat 4 than even more rehashes of games that were already released. it's just paying more money for things we already have in which you can find online pretty easily.
Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

I don't know who was the one from NRS that said it's harder for the whole studio to come up with new ideas, but I'm not gonna make assumptions on that alone. I think that the rest of the guys of NRS don't acknowledge what that guy said not because they denied it, because there is probably nothing to deny. Just because it is harder, that doesn't mean that they it's impossible, nor that anyone on NRS, including the ones who said it's harder, are no longer passionate about giving new ideas for MK. I think that worst case scenario, once again, is that MK would take a long break, not worse then that.

As for the story mode, I saw parts of the gaming sins vid and I'm not taking it seriously whatsoever. I saw this vid on a news post of a fighting game site called Eventhubs, and almost everyone agreed with me there that this vid was WAY to nitpicky for it's own good. I even listed some of the things that this guy missed when he tried so hard to make the story mode to look much worse then it actually is. When example is that on the chapter with Jax, he showed the cutscene where Sareena says that Quan Chi is weaker than before, and that adds that as a sin since Quan Chi "isn't suppose to be weaker in the Netherrealm", but if you see the actual scene in the story mode, Jas clearly said that Quan Chi is weaker because he doesn't have Shinnok as a Power source, it had nothing to do with the location being the Netherrealm, yet the guy didn't bother to mention it at all and he just cut that part from the vid just to add another sin.

I think the real problem here is that the MK9 and MKX stories aren't bad at all, especially that MK9 story was very well received by people, as well as MKX's story (even if it less the MK9 one), it's just that the story isn't fan friendly. Yes it does have inconsistences, but even for the stuff that remained consist, you can't go just for the main Campaign alone and expect to understand everything only from that. You need to look at the bios, the endings (even the non-canon ones) and the MKX comics. Yes they would still have some inconsistences, but after you look at all of that, they story would be more consistent then only the stuff you get from the main campaign. For example, if you look at Johnny Cage's bio and arcade ending from MK9, you can get the answer on how he got the powers that helped him to defeat Shinnok in MKX.

Also, a few weeks ago I saw a digital version for an old MK2 comic from the MK2 comic series, that issue explained the origins of Kitana and Mileena, and I can't tell you how many things were inconsistent there with how the story ended for the original timeline, like that King Jerrod and Sindel were the rulers of Outworld, Edenia wasn't exist at all and Shao Kahn took Outworld from Jarrod and not from Onaga who also didn't exist. That goes to show that even the original timeline had many inconsistents, and that was when Tobias was still with Midway.

http://imgur.com/a/ZS5dj

And as for MK4 and other games, we can't forget that NRS isn't an indy studio, they work for WB, so even if NRS would want to release old MK games, they can't do it without the permission of WB. Also, WB only hold the right for the MK series, as far as I know, they don't hold any right for any of other games from Midway, that is why they can't release other old Midway games even if they wanted to. Xbox players got the Rare Replay not only because the developers of the original games such as Killer Instinct wanted to please the fans (and I'm sure they did) but also because Microsoft held the rights for all the games from Rare and gave the green light, unlike WB that, again, as far as I know, only hold the right for MK and MK only. The only thing that NRS can do is to ask WB to re-release old MK games and convince them to give the green light.
EpicJason9000
Mortal

Post by EpicJason9000 »

well, as far as the stories are concerned, I did have a major problem with MK9 & MKX's stories. as for Gaming Sins, he does mention that he is a nit picky a**hole. he mentions it a lot. does that make him wrong? no. he was open and honest about it, but I still think he make some good points for some of what he was saying. he may have missed some stuff, but hey, no body is perfect. and at least I was able to find even more plot holes & inconsistencies without his input. however, as for the fans, I think the real problem here is that the fans are way too forgiving for inconsistent and lazy story telling in which MK9 & MKX does have. (and fyi, this is all just pure speculation on my part) just because a series is popular and is making a lot of money, that doesn't automatically make the product good. which is why the Transformers films tends to make tons of money yet no one seems to like it. in Mortal Kombat's case, I just think the fans are not being honest about it and are far too forgiving to let these issues slide because they're having fun. major plot holes and lazy writing is no excuse for any title in existence. and after 10 games over the course of 24 years, I think fans should expect better story telling no matter whose working on it.

see, the problem is that the reason why Mortal Kombat is different than the rest of the other popular fighting games is because of the developed story. and sure, the old games had plot points too, but I will argue that they were easier to follow and made more sense. and unlike MKX, you didn't need to go out and spend money on a comic book when they could of told the backstory within the game itself. which is no different than expecting people to buy a novel to understand what's going on in the movie.

the MK3 portion of MK9 are by far the most I've ever gotten nit picky about it because it does bother me. for example: why would Sindel be resurrected if it didn't allow Shao Kahn to step through the portal to reclaim his queen which would allow his invasion to being? what was the purpose of the soulnado? wasn't the portal in MK3 the reason for what happened in the MK3 storyline? if so, then why was that completely glossed over? why does Raiden still have his powers if Shao Kahn is invading? if Raiden's powers are useless in Outworld, then why was he in Outworld during the MKII storyline? if Shang Tsung & his shadow priests were the ones who resurrected Sindel, then how did Quan Chi & Noob Saibot manage to do it? yes Quan Chi is a sorcerer, but his powers are not the same as Shang Tsung. wasn't the Outworld Tournament mainly used as a distraction in the original timeline? if originally this was Shao Kahn's plan, and now it's suggested by his most trusted warriors, then wouldn't that undermine Shao Kahn's abilities and make him less empossing? also, if the Mortal Kombat tournament was designed to prevent Outworld from invading, then wouldn't an invasion and creating a 2nd tournament in Outworld violate the sacred rules of the Elder Gods? wasn't the whole point of the portal in MK3 was that after resurrecting Sindel, this allowed Shao Kahn to step through the portal and reclaim his queen, which would allow his invasion to being, keeping the portal & slowly merging Outworld with Earthrealm collecting soul after soul? and because Raiden had no powers in Outworld, that would make the Earthrealm warriors more vunerable. which is why he said in MK3 that while their souls were protected, their lives were not. and it's why he could no longer interfere as long as he was still immortal while the portal was still merging. so, if that's the case, what was the whole point of the Outworld Invasion plot in MK9? and if Raiden was powerless in Outworld, then wouldn't he have sacrificed his immortality to help the Earthrealm forces fight against Shao Kahn just like what he did in Mortal Kombat Trilogy & (to a lesser extent) Mortal Kombat Annihilation? if Sindel is the key to Shao Kahn's invasion and keeping the portal open, then why would Sindel leave to Outworld? wouldn't that hurt Shao Kahn's plans? why would Liu Kang journey to the Elder Gods with Raiden if the Earthrealm warriors were being threatened by Outworld's forces? instead of stepping through the portal to reclaim his queen at the beginning of the invasion, why did he step through the portal near the end? wouldn't that make the whole plot point of resurrecting Sindel utterly pointless? see, the biggest problem with both MK9 & MKX is that none of this is ever properly explained or shown to us that would allow the audience to get what's going on. meaning that if you are not a long time MK fan, you will be lost. there's more to it than that, but you get the point.

this is why it's lazy writing no matter what story you're trying to tell. sure MK3 wasn't perfect, but it still made sense. and most importantly, you can follow the story in the original games just fine without requiring to read a comic book to fill in the gaps between 2 games. comic books should be optional, not the other way around. plus, those comics you mentioned were by Malibu Comics, which those stories were officially considered as non-canon.
EpicJason9000
Mortal

Post by EpicJason9000 »

none of the Malibu comics based on Mortal Kombat were canon. the only comic books that were officially marked as canon back then were the comics released by John Tobias. even the limited edition PC release of MK4 had a comic book that had more connections to the story than the Malibu comics. the only comic books that are now considered as canon were the ones that were released recently. while it's nice for them to expand upon the story, none of them were explained in the games themselves. The Outworld Civil War, is the best example of this. even for new comers to the series, maybe they should of explained things a bit more clearly like who some of the returning characters are. for example: Fujin, Sareena, Frost, or Reiko (who was only mentioned but never seen). long terms fans will get the reference, but not new comers. and thus we have the same exact problems that even Doom II is gulty of: specific games catering far too often to the hard core crowd.
EpicJason9000
Mortal

Post by EpicJason9000 »

maybe it is a classic example of expectations vs reality, but hey, that's just how I see it. if you like it, then all the power to you. you are more than welcome to like it regardless on what I said. I still like MK, but every now & then I do voice my concerns as I should. however, maybe we should shift our conversation back to Cyberdemon in Doom rather than my opinion on MK9 & MKX. while fun & thankfully being open and more respectful to your opinions, I will admit that I think we both went far too off track. so, let's shift our focus back on Cybdermon in MKX instead. what do you say? ^-^
EpicJason9000
Mortal

Post by EpicJason9000 »

"junk ideas"

I just think it's funny that you assume that your opinions matters more than anybody else without anything to back those statements up. because once again, your dead wrong. in fact, I went out & shared my ideas with both John Romero & John Vogal. and you know what? they both liked my ideas. when the actual developers from both Doom & Mortal Kombat likes my ideas, then the ideas are not junk. you lose.
EpicJason9000
Mortal

Post by EpicJason9000 »

and btw, you know who else liked some of my original ideas based on a personal project I've been working on for 16 years?

Richard Epcar - Raiden from MK9 & MKX
Andrew Kishino - Sektor from MK9
David Lodge - Kabal from MK9
Jeffrey Meek - Raiden & Shao Kahn from MK Conquest
Adoni Maropis - Quan Chi from MK Conquest

and of all the people I have come in contact with, Adoni is the only person I was able to talk to on the phone. he called me because he didn't receive my emails, and I was able to talk with him about my anime project while he was describing what it was like to work on MK Conquest with his experience playing as Quan Chi. which is probably the coolest thing ever. who else here besides me can claim to talk on the phone with one of the actors who played Quan Chi?
Last edited by EpicJason9000 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mortal Kombat X/XL”